1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dim passenger side head light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Raven Gray, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Raven Gray

Raven Gray New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We have a 2012 Prius. The passenger side low beam is "functional" but very dim, at least 40% dimmer then the driver side. In real world twilight/night driving, its almost like driving with a burned out lamp. At night people, cars and obstacles on the right side are virtually invisible. You can look straight into the passenger side lamp but the driver side is to bright to comfortably look at. The "dimming" seemed to happen rather quickly.

The dealership replaced the bulbs but the condition remains the same. The outer lens is "cloudy" but I'm pretty sure its not enough to cause this amount of reduction in lumination. Also when the high beams are turned on, the amount of light from both is bright and nearly identical. The dealership is convinced it's just the cloudy lens. I'm thinking their gaslighting me.

Is there something in the headlamp circuit(s), a resistor, relay etc., that might cause one light to be dimmer then the other? I believe these are "projector lamps" so can the bulb housing or focusing lens be faulty?
    Thanks for the help.