1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dimmer at max, dash info barely visible in sun

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TurtleBlue, Apr 25, 2023.

1. TurtleBlue

TurtleBlue New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello fellow gen 2 owners.

Occasionally viewed in past years & fixed queried probs - thanks again! -

Prius Data:
    - 187,993 odo

- 2006 (17 yrs young)

- 3 hybide batt packs ~ original (10yrs) ~ rebuilt (3 yrs) ~ new dealership (current)

- ODB BT W/TorquePro Prius configed on a tablet ~ mainly used for fuel (dash reports incorrect value-as much as 1/2 tank) and triangle of death Cam-Bus probs which is corrected by a codes clear command.

Replaced dash info board due to weakening 100 Capacitor w/220 from Texas(?)shop - thanks Priuschat for this solution!!!

Current issue: dash info barely visible in direct sunlight with dimmer switch at max. I've noticed these lights degrading over the past years. I'm curious, can't remember if these are soldered LED's ( I assume they are) on a board. Would a hazy film be the cause of the luminescent degredation or the fault being a faulty dimmer switch needing to be replaced?

I recently ran into a prob with my smartphone. The past year+ it would flash a message stating "no sim card i stalled". Was driving me nuts...
    When I was just about to purchase the version 6 Asus gaming phone (!!!) I decided to examine the sim and memory card inside the phone. The gold contacts on the memory card were nice and shiny. Thr sim card, on the other hand, was dull with a hazy film. I took a mechanical pencil eraser and used it to clean the sim contacts till they were as bright and shiny as the memory card ones.
    Since this maintenance (3+ months now) have not had a "no sim card" message on the phone.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Vic

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Maybe the combination meter mirror is hazy. How does the dimmer switch work with the vehicle lights turned off?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. TurtleBlue

TurtleBlue New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Crap! Response dissapeared...sigh

20230503_144944.jpg

Above image after cleaning. A bit hazy...

Center council is also exhibiting washout display in full sun. Need to find hood that I've seen on Priuschat in years past.

As far as your query of the dimmer switch with the lights off - there is no change produced with the displays when actuating the dimmer.

Will update when the sun reappears in my locale.

Thanks, vic

Attached Files: