1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dipstick questions!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Preeeus, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2 questions regarding dipstick on Gen 3 Prius:

1. What is the physical distance (inches or cm) between the top and bottom marks?

2. Is the oil level linear (meaning is the top 50% equal to the same amount of oil as the bottom 50%)?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Preeeus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding the distance between the two marks:

1. Get a measuring tape.
    2. Walk out to your car.
    3. Measure the dipstick.

That said, it's 1.5 inch. :rolleyes:

And, it represents 1.5 liters, so there's an interesting imperial/metric corellation going on: 1/2" represents 1/2 liter, and so on. And quarts are close enuf to liters that it pretty much works for them too.

Regarding linear, I'd guess yes or pretty close. That's assuming the oil level is below the oil pan seam, and the walls are semi-vertical.

Preeeus likes this.
  4. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. If you saw my fingers right now, you would understand why I didn't measure it. ;)

Why do you think it's 1.5 liters and not quarts? Asking half seriously, and half-jokingly, since they are darn close. But did you have something official that says 1.5 liters?

BTW, Toyota dealership SWEARS it's 1qt, and that it is a standard across all vehicles. 100% sure they are wrong.

Not sure about the dipstick levels being linear. Recently got 28% fewer miles from bottom half of dipstick as compared to top half. But more data is needed to really know if the dipstick is linear or not. Very interested in everyone's experiences.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah the owner's manual says 1.5 litre, for sure, between the 2 marks, and I believe 1.6 qts.

Just on a phone now, or there'd be screen shots lol.

Preeeus and bisco like this.
  6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had to look at the title again to ascertain whether the questions were posed by, or about a dipstick! Since I am unable to come up with anything better than the replies so far, I will just sit back and revert to sarcasm! (…shouts of "…so what's new?") Apologies to the original poster, but this is certainly the very best place to come for the best answers (…sarcastic or otherwise!) to any Prius-related questions! ;):) - (…come back and see me if it's time to know less! ;) ) - Wil

Preeeus likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think for the dealership oil consumption test to have any validity, they should fill the oil, take it for a short test drive (to "settle the load") then top it up precisely to the top mark in your presence, have you verify the level, and then apply the seals.

At the end of the test, no "take it 'round back": in your presence, check the dipstick, add a sealed quart bottle of oil, check again. Take photos too, before and after.

Anything else is a joke.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    WilDavis and Preeeus like this.
  8. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We do really like and trust the Toyota service advisor we work with. We actually drive an extra 45-60 minutes, past 2 other Toyota dealerships, just to see him. But we have no knowledge as to the competence level of the mechanic adding the oil (they recently had a non-certified mechanic perform a recall, which then had to be recertified by a properly trained mechanic), or the calibration of any oil dispensers being used (or whether or not they use a bottle - doubtful). Given that 0.2qt is the difference between a pass and a fail, everything must be done precisely.

We were never given the opportunity to check the dipstick after they filled it at the beginning of the test, nor verify only 1qt was added at the end of the test. We trusted them regarding the dipstick level they added the oil at the end of the test. It doesn't seem like they have an incentive to pass a vehicle needlessly, as it's less of an opportunity for repairs for them. But given that their results do not match ours, we must question the validity of the test.

What's curious is that they showed us the dipstick at the end of the test before they added oil, and it was only 1/4" from the bottom mark. If they added only 1 quart of oil, it shouldn't have reached the top dot, as they indicated. Actually, thinking about it now, when they showed up the oil at 1/4" from the bottom mark, the oil was hot. So as it cooled down while it was there for a couple hours, the level should have gone down. On the other hand, letting it sit for a while allowed engine oil to drip down into the pan from the motor.

Which do you think is greater, the amount of oil that drips down into the pan as the engine cools, or the volume of oil that is reduced as the oil cools?

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That indicates oil being 1.25 liters low, well over the 1 quart target.

Preeeus likes this.
  10. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Exactly. Which means as the engine cooled, it dripped more than 0.25 liters into the pan, or they added more than 1 quart, or they read the dipstick wrong after they added 1 quart. How much does it drip back down after cools?

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd put money on either of those.

Preeeus likes this.
  12. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine measures 37 mm from full mark to low mark, which the manual says is 1.5 litres or 1.6 qt. From top of tube to full mark is 512mm. Dipsticks can not be exactly linear.

Preeeus likes this.