1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dirt beneath temperature display 2014 Prius Three (IMAGE)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mark & Cody, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Mark & Cody

Mark & Cody New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, my fiance and I recently purchased a 2014 Prius Three and we were wondering if there was a way to clean beneath the plastic of the temperature display? We originally thought it was surface dirt but came to find out it was under the plastic. Can we do this ourselves or should we take it back to our dealer? Thanks!

2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Are you sure that is not just a plastic covering the lens to prevent scratches?
    That covering may just peel off.

Disassembly to get behind the lens....I don't think is possible without major skill and maybe some luck.

3. Mark & Cody

Mark & Cody New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's definitely underneath the display. There is no covering. We bought the car used and we thought it would wipe off but it's underneath...

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This thread about car stereo upgrading includes all the directions for removing all of the plastic pieces around that display. It can be done without tools; I've done it myself. Once you have it disassembled, that display will be bare, and you can look for some way to remove that plastic cover. It looks like someone spilled something on the dash and some liquid entered behind the glass. Disassembly will let you clean out any gunk that's back there, but I do not know if you can clean behind that display.

I also attached a drawing which shows the disassembly. It's easy to do, but I don't know how to get behind the display unit.

Attached Files:

Mark & Cody likes this.
  5. Mark & Cody

Mark & Cody New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I just need to get under the plastic cover on top of the temperature display. This looks like a good start. Thank you!

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it looks almost like air bubbles that can sometimes exist if there is a plastic sticker on top.

I'd carefully look to see if there is anything that looks like an edge that can be pealed off.
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure you can get behind that piece.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's what I was thinking but I would think you see it also on the black surround too. I think, unfortunately, it might be surface deformities from using the wrong kind of cleaning agent. What I don't see is dirt.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could be wrong.
    Was hoping for an easy solution.

If you enlarge the photo, there are some spots in the black frame. However I can't tell if it's dust or dirt on top the black or underneath.

#8 The Electric Me, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let me be clear in case there is any confusion in that drawing: Those two plastic pieces are removed by pulling straight UP. Not "away from dashboard," but straight UP.

Don't use a screwdriver to pry them out; you'll scratch up the plastic. If you have strong fingernails, that should be fine. Once you get just a little bit of the first piece to loosen, it's all straightforward and it will all come out.