1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable A/C compressor when front defrost is on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tekdeus, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, a while back I had found and bookmarked a page here with info on how the dealer could program the A/C compressor to not be forced on when the front windshield defrost is on; but the page is now missing. Anyone know?

I want to disable the compressor being on during defog because it causes the air to be extremely dry and causes severe problems with my asthma; and as soon as I turn it off or switch to normal foot/front vents, all the water that had condensed on the A/C coil then spews out and fogs up the entire car badly. It's a vicious cycle that is dangerous. Thanks.

2. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That sounds like a problem that needs to be fixed, I've never experienced that.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds as though water condensed from the cabin air is not draining out as it should. Try having the evaporator drain tube cleared out before doing something more drastic.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Once you've run A/C, to combat windshield fogging up, you will fog up when you switch it off. Likely the evaporator drain is functioning ok, it will still happen. It's just the nature of the beast, happens with any automotive A/C system.

The only recourse I've found when turning off A/C is to crack windows.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with the opening of the window. In the old days when I was a youngin, the cars had "vent" windows on the front doors. If the windshield started fogging over, the first thing "Daddy" would do was to open those vent windows. He even turned them fully in which would blow the air from outside into the car and direct the air onto the inside of the windshield. It would keep the glass clear, and clear the condensation real fast. Back then you didn't have A/C in the cars. You were lucky if you had heat cause a lot of times the heater core's had rusted out and the hoses had been cut off and capped. Those were the "good ol" days. ;)

Ron

Britprius likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Know exactly what your talking about Ron. In the UK we were years behind you in the US adopting aircon in cars mainly due to our cooler climate, but even back in the early 60's heaters were often offered as an extra to entry level vehicles.

dorunron likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My parents had a '58 Volkswagen with those, little triangular windows that rotated open about a vertical axis. Thanks, jogged my memory.

dorunron likes this.
  8. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair enough.

It makes me wonder whether the OP is now using outside air at all? If he disables the compressor he'll have to use outside air continuously, otherwise all of the windows will fog up fast no matter how high he sets the temperature.

9. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    He said water "spews out", not condensation. That is not normal and I agree the drain tube is probably clogged - although if it were completely clogged you would end up with water in the front foot wells. Had that happen several times with a car I had last decade.

10. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The design of turning on the AC compressor is to get rid of those moisture on the inside of windshield and your car did it right. However due to your asthma, yes it makes you suffer. You have to go to your dealer for the reprograming to shut off the AC compressor. Or you can shut it down by pressing the 'Temp" buttom of you MFD at the left side and touch the "A/C" on the display to turn it off everytime. For the water,moist... came out, as all said please check your water drainage when you go to your dealer. It' must be blocked by debries.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I missed Tekdeus' "spews out". Richard could be right about blocked drainage then.

OTOH, "spews out" could be hyperbole; he then says "fogs up".

Or maybe his car is possessed, a la Linda Blair?? :ROFLMAO:

12. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I was exaggerating when I said spewed. The moist air flows out and quickly re-fogs the windshield. The A/C drainage is ok because I flushed a can of cleaner in there to try to get rid of the moldy smell, which worked well, but was only temporary.

13. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, with the A/C compressor not running, you are now allowing the system to use exterior air and not manually setting it to recirculated cabin air. True?

14. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but also have the option to use recirculated air as well without the compressor for those times when I'm following a bus and don't want to breath concentrated diesel smoke. In ever other car I've ever driven, none of them forced the air conditioning to run during defog, and never had any problems.

15. Drafty01

Drafty01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I do is run the vents with the A/C on, but put the vent on the windscreen & footwell mode, then turn the heat right up & manually control the fan speed - try it. Might work for you. I'm a bit asthmatic as well, but not as bad as you I think.