1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable Airbag '03 Camry?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Jun 30, 2018.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ignition lock cylinder is close to gone.

I stopped on my 480-yard driveway today with the dogs in the backseat and later could not get the key to turn to start the car again. Bit of an issue, since I was blocking the entire route to and from the house.

Husband (he usually drives the Camry) says the key has been balky for the last several days.

Finally got key to turn, car started. Took it down to a turn-around, came back to the house, parked in a tow-truck friendly manner and ordered a new Original Toyota cylinder, which should arrive on Monday.

I found an awesome video that details the repair and it looks fairly easy (as long as we don't mind using two keys on the car). Issue is the video makes a big deal about disabling the airbag, but does not tell me how to disable the airbag....

If we do this ourselves -- it is going to cost us $70. If we go to the shop -- quotes are around $350-$400. Yeah, to some folks, not much of an issue, but, as always around our broke-down acres -- a penny saved is cause for celebration!:D:D

solutions?
    kris

#1 cyberpriusII, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I thought disconnecting the 12 volt was enough to disable the airbags.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's how it's been in the Prius manuals ... I don't know why a Camry would be different. Disconnecting the 12 V battery and waiting the prescribed time (90 seconds for Gen 3) for the airbags' backup power source to drain.

Might be worth checking the Camry manual just to be sure.

In the past, I've disconnected the battery and then gone to fetch the needed tools and parts and such, generally taking plenty more than 90 seconds to do it.

-Chap

cyberpriusII likes this.
  4. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to both of you!

I tried google, but found nothing, but I was searching for 2003 Camry. probably should have done a more general search.

And, of course, I never considered that I should RTFM! :eek:

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Takes me back to Click and Clack. They told us that hanging car key with a heavy load of accessories on the same ring could cause such failures.

Surely our Cyber did no such thing. Probably an earlier owner of that Camry.

6. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Husband is the original owner of the five-speed Camry.

Big fan of Tom and Ray. I remember them talking about mega key rings all the time. Just looked up their advice. Up to eight keys is O.K., so says the brother Ray.

I carry four keys. Husband carries four keys. I do not think it was weight of the keys. I think it was Father Time.