1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable Constant Dinging with Door Open?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, Nov 4, 2017.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Does anyone know, is there any way one can disable the constant, never-ending dinging when your door is open with the car stopped and the engine off, but your accessories or screen on? Even with a hack from a cell phone app or from the dealership, such as the hack to make the reverse beep just one beep?

I cannot tell you how annoying it is on a nice day when you're parked under a tree and you want to open your door for better air while you take a break from driving, eat lunch and listen to the radio or need to program some addresses into your GPS etc, and no matter how many times you push the power switch, as long as the door is open and the electronics are on there's a never-ending constant dinging that just doesn't stop, even when just on Accessory mode.

Is there any way to get rid of the constant dinging that anyone has found? I don't have any of the cell phone apps like Carista (?) so I don't know if that's one of the features you can change...

Just opening the window isn't the same, whether you're trying to get sand off your feet after a visit to the beach while wanting to listen to the radio, or loading things in and out of the car or just relaxing for a while taking a break from driving I can't imagine why it should continue to beep like crazy even in accessory mode. None of my other cars ever did that...

Anyway, can this be hacked or changed somehow? Thanks!

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don’t know of a practical way to change this behavior, which is as described in the Owner’s Manual and the New Car Features book. It’s meant to reduce the risk of auto theft, by alerting a driver leaving the vehicle that it is still in ACC mode, as required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 114, Theft protection and rollaway prevention, 49 CFR § 571.114, paragraph S5.1.3.

Neither the Owner’s Manual nor the Repair Manual describes any relevant settings to be changed, even using Toyota Techstream or third-party diagnostic software. This isn’t surprising; as far as I know, Toyota never allows customization that would make a vehicle non-compliant with the FMVSS.

I wouldn’t advise disabling the Front Door Courtesy Light Switch Assembly LH (the driver’s door switch, to its friends), since it’s used for many other functions, including the Smart Key system. Similarly, the buzzer is part of the Combination Meter Assembly and used for other important audible warnings.

Prodigyplace and stevepea like this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here I thought you were talking about getting your doors dinged.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  4. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the information and the link.

I know this is tilting at windmills, but the statute doesn't mention the length of the dinging. For instance, 60 seconds of constant dinging is enough to tell a person that the door is open, it doesn't need to go on indefinitely -- in the same way as if you drive without your seatbelt on and the Prime starts dinging (is that a statute as well, or just Toyota?), the ding will eventually stop after something like 60 seconds... (not that anyone should drive without their seatbelt), but I wish the door-open ding would stop eventually, just as the "without seatbelt" dings eventually do...

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  5. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Carista has a way to disable the seat belt warning though:D

6. Rain T

Rain T New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We are now getting the annoying warning sound when opening the driver door after turning the car off. The sound continues until the door is closed again. Accessories are not on. The car is a few months old and didn't do this initially.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, your options are:

1. Close the door

2. Move to someplace cooler. :D :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought it was opening the door before putting the car down.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll note that the newer cars I have been in will restart the seatbelt warning after a pause now.

10. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You’re welcome. Short of a petition for rulemaking to NHTSA, there’s probably not much to be done.

One suggestion, though: when you want to stop and open the door, rather than using ACCESSORY mode, just leave the hybrid system on (“READY” indicator on), with the shift position in P and the parking brake set. This isn’t a good idea in an enclosed space where exhaust fumes might be a problem if the engine were to run, of course, but it should suppress the audible warning if you open the door or leave the driver’s seat. It also keeps the auxiliary (12-volt) and HV batteries charged.

It’s counterintuitive, but the FMVSS doesn’t require the audible warning if “the key is in the starting system in a manner or position that allows the engine or motor to be started or to continue operating” (S5.1.3(b)); the drafters of the regulation may have assumed that the sound of the engine itself would alert the driver that the vehicle is still running, though this obviously doesn’t apply to a Prius.

stevepea and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You're right. If one presses START to put the car in the same mode you'd use to drive (normally with your foot on the brake, but not in this case) the dinging will stop after 5 dings with the door open (and you'll see NOT READY TO DRIVE flash if your foot's not on the brake). But that's the way to do it... if you just want to have the door open while having the electronics (nav, radio, etc) on... that'll do it. Thanks!!

Elektroingenieur likes this.