1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable garage door opener-(homelink)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by triumph1, Mar 19, 2009.

1. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't know it would work if the car was not on- As it stands, someone could break the window and get into my house... Is there a way to disable it?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you want to disable it permanently, or just at night when you aren't in the car?

Tom

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you never program it in the first place, then the burgler will have smashed your car window for nothing. :madgrin:

4. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It's an unfortunate fact of life. The opener - er, homelink, is setup to work whether nor not the car is on. This is done because many people park their car inside the garage and if they had to start the car to open the garage door, there will be danger of asphyxiation (CO poisoning).

On another front, most people who have automatic garage doors and not a homelink, keep the opener inside the car. The are faced with the same paradox as you, Triumph1.

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another unfortunate fact is that garages are generally easy to break into, even without door openers. Unless you have an exceptional garage, don't expect it to be Fort Knox.

Tom

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Easy. Rewire the constant 12v to switched 12v. There are two power wires that come with the homelink/auto-dimming mirror. The auto-dimming one is supposed to connect to the switched 12v, while the homelink one to the constant 12v. You can tie them together and connect both to the switched 12v. That way, the ACC needs to be on before your homelink works (much like auto-dimming - which does not work while sitting in garage!)

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does homelink retain programming without power?

Tom

8. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wiring diagram.

Attached Files:

9. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Probably not, but at least the burgler won't be rewarded for smashing the car window. :D

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Program the homelink to open your neighbor's garage door. :D

Tom

11. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I don't think the 5 seconds of running with the door closed would really make a difference (and you could likely get the door open before S1 even starts).

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. If you disconnect the 12V auxiliary battery, then reconnect, there's no need to reprogram the Homelink.

13. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch prius is my SUV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wouldn't the burglar have to be inside your garage to smash your car's window? which... if it has the garage door programmed, would make sense to park... inside... the garage?

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No matter if the clicker is on the visor or if the Homelink is programmed, if the car is parked outside and somebody breaks the window, they can open the garage door

The best way to secure your garage door at night is to use the Lock feature on the interior garage operator. The basic operator has a single button, which is no help to you

The optional operator has a large button to open/close the door, and two smaller buttons: one button is to lock the opener, the other button is used to manually turn the opener light on and off

My 3 button interior operator is pretty basic. This one at Chamberlain is fancy

398LM - Smart Control Panel®

You press and hold the Lock button for 5 secs or so, and the LED on the operator and on the obstruction sensor both start rapidly flashing. The opener will now ignore all remotes assigned to it

15. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestions- My car stays outside, the Motorcycles stay inside. My priorities are in place, no doubt.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So, can you lock your opener as I suggested?

17. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No, wouldn't mind much but it's an incredible liability.

18. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I don't have a three button remote- I think I have a manual lock on the door itself that goes through the frame.

I may look into getting it rewired.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you have a Chamberlain opener with the orange programming button, you don't have to rewire anything. The same two wires are used for the three button opener control.

My Chamberlain came with the basic lighted button. I picked up the three button (Includes lock button and manual light button) for $30, it just hooks up to the same two wires

You have to get polarity correct. If the wires are reversed, the LED on the control doesn't work. Flip the wires around and the LED will work. It will rapidly blink to indicate that all remotes are locked out

So even if the car is parked outside, and somebody breaks the side window to get the clicker on the visor or the Homelink, nothing will happen. The opener lamp will flash 4 times or so, indicating it received the remote request but is ignoring it