1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable Low temperature indicator light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RPotter1770, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But Dan, cyan is close to light blue with a hint of green. I'd say this has more green than blue.

2. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

With auto on/off headlights, it's redundant and annoying to see a headlight status light...Why? you ask, because there is simply no choice!

And on my new '05 non-nav, when you push the power button off, it also turns off the headlights. So, why does one need a light which is uselessly annoying.

I used a 1/2" diameter piece of matte black gaffer tape, taped it to the plexiglass in front of the indicator & remedied that frivilous, annoying little indicator in less than 5 minutes!

Defeat the MFB Beep Please! That would be a miracle! As Big Al Said:

"Any intelligent fool can make things

bigger, more complex,

and more violent.

It takes a touch of genius --

and a lot of courage --

to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

Simple please,

ken

3. wilco

wilco New Member

Technically, cyan is halfway between the wavelengths generally considered to be blue and green.

The display may not be dead-on cyan, and also may even change color slightly with the dimmer, but it's pretty close. (I too see it as slightly greener than pure cyan)

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I'm concerned, only the US has the headlight symbol. The rest of us have a taillight symbol probably for countries with DRLs.

5. kam

kam New Member

Except there is a choice but it's the car that decides. The auto on/off headlights turn on or off depending on the amount of ambient light outside. On a sunny day they'd be off, but would turn on when you drive into a tunnel (for example). That's why there's an indicator light.

In the US they don't offer auto on/off headlights but likely left the indicator light since it's more trouble than it's worth to remove.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the auto headlight function. It had the headlights on this morning but the MFD and speedo were in "Day" mode. Entered a section of the road that had a canopy and boom, the MFD and speedo darkened to "Night" mode. It went back to "Day" mode after that section.

7. BillMorgan

BillMorgan Junior Member

I live in Seattle area, have Prius since June, and this AM driving to work saw this amber warning light. I stared at it somewhat worried wondering what the heck was wrong. I brought the owner's manual into work and located the description. My first reaction.....Wth!
    OK -- I'll get used to it and as Dave says, we don't get that many days under 37 (except I commute at 4:30 AM). We do get a lot of 'black ice' mornings here in the Puget Sound. So, maybe it's useful after all.
    The 'reverse beep' is annoying. But, a few years ago, I brilliantly damaged my garage door when half awake. So, I'll leave mine on.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Those of us with poor color differentiation have no clue what you're talking about. I couldn't pick out Cyan if my life depended on it!

9. wilco

wilco New Member

Actually, I only know about cyan (and magenta) because my girlfriend is in the graphics/photo business.

I've heard that poor blue/green differentiation is common among men (as are most color vision deficiencies, as compared to women). Maybe that explains how we dress!

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm maybe that's why my opthalmologist - a woman - seemed bemused by it and told me not to worry.

11. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Cyan: Reminiscent of the "old school" Vacuum Fluorescent Display Color - with that 'Nanook of the North' warmth (NOT!). Go here for some interesting history on VFD's:

http://www.taswegian.com/MOSCOW/display.html

and here for a real color/spectral chart showing where Cyan lives (between green and blue):

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:8cMUa7k...lient=firefox-a

BTW, virtually EVERY color print job, from newspapers to magazines, to product labels uses only four ink colors, which are Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. From the mixture of these four colors virtually any/every color in the rainbow can be reproduced. So Cyan is Cool!

Enjoy, Ken

12. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I suspect the 'headlights are on' light is there because the dash illumination isn't visible in the daytime. In most cars, the speedometer illumination does a good job, but in the Prius it's always lit. (Well, unless the headlights are on and the dimmer is all the way down) (I'd argue that the speedometer being dim would be a good clue that the headlights are on...)

Hmm... I wonder if someone could rig a nixie tube speedometer... :)

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Wow! Great stuff Ken! I didn't read the second link completely yet, but it starts to answer a lot of questions about color presentation and perception.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's a good point. The dimmer speedometer would be an indication. Personally, I don't mind the light. Let's say it's early morning and foggy. I put the headlights on (for more visibility) and the map switches over. I change that do Day Mode and drive to work. When I get there, the light lets me know that the headlights are still on. I don't pass in in front of the car when I go to work.

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Given, who will be the first to use various combinations of cellophane (or cellophane-like material) to change the color of Prius display?

:ph34r:

16. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Mista Squid! Right you are! I have considered using gels used for theater lighting to laminate over the top of the speedo display, go here for an idea
    < http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/rosliggel.html >

The only problem with gels is that they are usually quite glossy/reflective so they'd be hell in both bright daylight and nighttime visibility. Matte gels are also made so that may be a solution. It's that cyan speedo gauge's color that I would love to modify!

All da best!

ken

17. wilco

wilco New Member

This exact topic came up before one of the two big crashes of this board, and the thread might have been lost, but someone did try a gel over the speedo display. I can't remember what his result was... possibly too dark? On the topic of the speedo, did you guys know that it's a mirror? The actual display is in the dash itself.

Ken those were good links. I'm always surprised how good the wikipedia is considering that it's open source. I'm not knocking open source, I love open source, but I wouldn't have guessed that it would work for an encyclopedia considering the kind of bickering you generally see on message boards - except this one of course :lol:

18. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Dang, you beat me to the old Mirror trick!

A couple of issues still remain... mirror or no mirror. The reflective horizontal surface of the 'projection display' (flat on the dash - terrible for incoming daylight reflectance issues!) and still the vertical 'wall' of the reflective re-mirroring of what we perceive as the 'actual display'.

Lighting gels come in different densiities (opacities), so one could get a sampling of color, densities and finishes (matte, frosted, semi-gloss-whatever) and see which color was most pleasing/least reflective. Then there's still the trick of 'sticking it to/on' that vertical wall of plexi without causing distrortion/visual acuit/clarity issues. Oye, I gotta go modify then install my costaletech power outlet mod kit as I want both the passenger and console outlets HOT, HOT, HOT all the time.

Plug and Play, HAH!!! Where's my pry bar and Vise Grips!

Happy All Hallows/Saints/Pumpkin weekend to y'all.

ken