1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable passenger-side airbags for infant car seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mdarby, May 4, 2006.

1. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vk-30 @ Jun 2 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]264850[/snapback]</div>
    On the 2006, the indicators are way over at the right in front of the passenger.

That said, I can't see why Toyota bothered to waste money on the indicators. In all other airbag-equipped cars, we don't need a light to trust the airbag. Besides, a light doesn't guarantee the bag will fire. And if there's no way to turn the bag off, why bother telling me its state with a light?

2. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

It is my understanding, unless the information is out of date, that it is possible to disable a front passenger air-bag IF you get a permit from NHTSA.

This website discusses it: http://autopedia.com/html/Airbag/rule/section08.html

It says that the ONLY way is through an on-off switch with a key. They do not want it permanently disabled. They also require people to read the agency information brochure about the risks involved with such modifications.

Also, according to the California Vehicle Code 27360, B 2 E, it does seem legal if "all rear seats are already occupied by children under the age of 12 years."

I would also like to add that I too would strongly advise having the child in the center of the rear seat, which is where my child was.

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This always makes me :angry: when I see it, the baby car seat in the front seat....

Take you & your wife to a local Fire Department and ask for a baby seat install tech to properly install your baby seat into your car... Here in Fla its a free service and yes they have to be certified to install baby seats officers have to take a 80hr course. I to have seen far to many accidents where the baby was in the front seat and the air bag deployed and others where it didn't, bottom line the baby and children are safer in the back seat... If your putting the child in the front seat your doing it for your own convienyance, is the childs life worth it ? back seat buddy.. :)

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I agree with others, having kids in the back is definatley less of a distraction.

They quickly learn that they need to sooth themselves, becoming less reliant on Mommy or Daddy. So the amount of times that they actually need you quickly lessens.

There are plenty of products on the market to keep them happy and to allow you to see them. They have things to hang on the seat that they can look at. They have special mirrors which allow you to see them at all times.

If you are going on a 7 hour drive, then better to have an adult sit in the back with them, then to have them sit in the front. So much safer! Not only from impact, but from flying debris, etc.

We are not trying to say you have bad judgement, but we are saying that the risks far outway your perceived reward.

Remember it was not that long ago that people did not wear seat belts, and let kids sit on their laps!

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jun 3 2006, 07:50 PM) [snapback]265393[/snapback]</div>
    I suggest you don't ever drive through the parking lot of a Wal-Mart. You'll see a bunch of white trash families with four kids standing up in the back seat, with three more in the front (without a single car seat in sight), and another one ON THE LAP OF THE DRIVER. The car itself will usually have three bald tires and cords showing through on the fourth.

6. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 5 2006, 11:51 AM) [snapback]266110[/snapback]</div>

Ya, I saw Brittany Spears there the other day! ;)

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 5 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]266110[/snapback]</div>
    Woo Hoo thats $72 x 3 = $216 in tickets for the driver. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wal Mart is one place to go becides the flea markets to see what not to wear in public.. :blink: :blink: :huh: