1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable Pedestrian Alert Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by keymusic, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Man, that's a lot of work for something that people can't even hear. Nobody ever hears mine. And I can just BARELY hear something... but only if I'm between two buildings where it will echo, with all the windows down, and half my body hanging out the door.

I was told the dealers can change the settings, and simply reduce the volume.

RCO likes this.
  2. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It wasn't too much work. For me it's really quiet at night where I live and when I pull into my garage, the noise was very noticible and very irritating. The silence is much nicer.

RCO likes this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's strange, that on some Prii the sound is hardly noticeable. Anyway, some guys said the dealer turned down the volume for them. Whatever works.

I actually wish mine was louder. Pedestrians don't even flinch or look around when I'm right behind them. I guess I can honk my new "Buick" horns I installed. :LOL:

RCO and keymusic like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great job key! love the duck tape, and foot pads were a great idea! where is the speaker, and how much work to take it out?

RCO and keymusic like this.
  5. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even if I didn't need to use the duct tape, I probably would've put it on just for the look!

It's super easy to remove the speaker from the car, and then there's just 3 tabs to loosen to remove the speaker cover to get to the front of the speaker itself once the speaker assembly is free from the car.

You can see the location by looking into the upper grill to the right of the center Toyota logo. You'll know it's the correct speaker because there is only one and there are 2 horns, 1 one each side. To remove it you need to open the hood and press down on 5 push clips that hold the black plastic cover that extends across the whole front part of the engine compartment, closest to the front of the car. Don't pry the clips up, just press on them and they will click and release. Then carefully lift up the cover so you don't drop the clips, or take the clips out first, then lift the cover. The speaker is held on by one 12mm screw. Mine was really tight but it will come loose. There's one connector you need to disconnect. It has one tab on it that you need to press. Just look to see where the tab is, it's easy to find. You can either take off the connector before or after you remove the mounting screw. When you're done, to put the push clips back on, you need to reset them by pressing down on the point to raise the center pin so they will hold. When you push on them to relock, just push gently to the first click, if you go too far they will release again.

RCO, Coast Cruiser and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, sounds like they've made it a lot easier to access than gen3. thank you!

keymusic likes this.
  7. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I must be blind. When I was installing the new Oldsmobile Cutlass horns, I never saw that speaker.

(And I had to go buy 5 new "push clips" for the plastic panel. One disappeared, and others never got tight when reinserting them. Amateur mechanic! The new ones work good.)

So, again I ask.... Why are my "crickets" so quiet??! And other owners report a loud noise?

keymusic likes this.
  8. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    RCO and Coast Cruiser like this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow....

You may want to buy another Darwin speaker...one without all of the duct tape residue.
    I'm thinking that if you squish somebody's kid with the car and some slip-and-fall attorney finds out that you mummified this "critical safety feature" you're going to be in the 10-percent club. (paying 10-percent of every paycheck after the bankruptcy.)

Juuuuust sayin. ;)

10. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sadly, I have this same thought (why must we bubble wrap the entire world for idiots?). But to provide maybe a tiny bit of comfort, I was talking to a cop buddy of mine here in the Denver-metro area about the number of people playing Frogger on major streets. He was telling me he sees car vs pedestrian on a regular basis but he has yet to give the ticket to the car driver, he always tickets the pedestrian. Apparently that "pedestrians always have the right of way" is a myth.

11. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fortunately I'm self employed so I won't be having any pay checks garnished. Also I'm not planning on squishing any living thing with my car. Although I've probably unwittingly hit a few ants already.

RCO likes this.
  12. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Someone alert PETA!!! you heartless bastard....

RCO, DonDNH and keymusic like this.
  13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur.
    However....sad recent history teaches us that sometimes justice isn't just.
    People always think that just because (some) lawyers lack morals, they're stupid.

Some day, some sniveling, bed-wetting, ambulance chasing attorney is going to have a client with a family member that died from the dumbs......and somebody is going to twig to the fact that some Prius Drivers hate the growler that other sniveling, bed-wetting, ambulance chasing attorneys made Toyota put on their cars.
    A court order gets issued and a gummy, sticky, pedestrian warning speaker is produced that still had duct tape residue on it.

.....payday!

People never plan to fail.....just fail to plan.

I'm an average driver.
    Like everybody else on the planet, I actually like to think that I'm a little above average, but facts are facts. I'm older than I was even yesterday, and the reflexes and eyesight aren't what they were in my twenties.....BUT!!! I have over a million miles behind the wheel and I've driven on 5 continents....so it's a wash.
    Average.

I've had people bounce off of my quarter panel (after I stopped) in parking lots...trying to walk and operate their cell phones at the same time.
    They don't scare me....because for the most part they move slowly and I'm particularly alert.
    However (comma!) kids are a lot harder to avoid, because they're already in SERE mode trying to get away from the parent that was clutching their hand moments before.

#33 ETC(SS), Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    RCO, Coast Cruiser and keymusic like this.
  14. keymusic

keymusic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're right, I probably should've used gaffers tape.

bisco and MrMischief like this.
  15. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You mean that some DO have morals?

bisco, RCO and ETC(SS) like this.
  16. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  17. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's not "age" Mr. Mischief, because nobody seems to hear my giant ants. I better crawl in there and look for duct tape and cotton balls! :ROFLMAO:)

MrMischief likes this.
  18. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now we're talkin'!!

krmcg likes this.
  19. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great video from PC member jetlash.
    I realize he turned up the sound for the camera, but my pedestrian warning has a very different sound.

RCO, krmcg and MrMischief like this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, ETC. You just scared the crap outa me. :) I'm going to hang out the window and wave a big red flag, and blow an air horn, and ring a cowbell… and shoot off a red distress flare!

I don't want them lawyers getting my last 40 bucks.

RCO likes this.