1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable reverse beep

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ruarto, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Ruarto

Ruarto New Member

About 2 weeks after I got my 2006, loaded, I was coming out of the parking lot and was met by a young couple that had a 2005. wow, what fun, we talked for about a half hour. He pointed me to this chat board and gave me some great tips on the car and its care, feeding and operating. :)

He did mention that somewhere in some forum was some info on how to disable the reverse beep. I have searched, and cant find it anywhere.

Anyone got a link ???
    Thanks.

2. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ruarto @ Apr 14 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]239800[/snapback]</div>
    Uhhhh...where did you look/search? :rolleyes: This post was only 5 from the top in the same forum you posted this:
    http://priuschat.com/SHUT-OFF-REVERSE-BEEPING-t18292.html
    I'll bet a search would turn up 20 or 30 of them. :p

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A search only turned up about 10 threads about disabling reverse beep. I recently disabled my reverse beep and love the result. Took me 2 tries to get it right though. Perhaps I didn't follow directions thoroughly the first time. :)

Here it is, from a previous post by kdmorse:

To disable reverse beep (step by step) - works on my '06.

1. Turn the car on
    2. Use the ODO button to cycle to ODO ( not trip A or B )
    3. Turn off the car
    4. Foot on brake, Power the car into Ready, keep foot on break
    5. Within 6 seconds, press and hold ODO for at least 10 seconds, keep it pressed
    6. With ODO still pressed, Shift into Reverse with the gearshift
    7. Once in Reverse, press the Park button
    8. Release the ODO button
    9. ODO should read b-on (Beep - On). Press the ODO button to switch it to b-off (Beep - Off)
    10. Turn off the car

Rumor has it the operation will fail if there is anything in the passenger seat weighty enough to trigger the passenger detection.

Merlock and Ajourney101 like this.
  4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can also find it here:

buzzer install

The first part of the directions is disabling the reverse beep.

I also uploaded this pdf to the Knowledge base. It used to be there but I guess it got lost.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did a whole bunch of new owners just hit the streets? There are
    like 3 reverse-beep threads right on top of each other.
    _H*

6. Ruarto

Ruarto New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Apr 14 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]239801[/snapback]</div>
    ***Double Duh*** Well I guess my excuse is not seeing 2006, but the instructions for the 2005 do work fine. Thanks for the wake up call.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ruarto @ Apr 22 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]243712[/snapback]</div>
    And one other thing, Ruarto, Welcome to PriusChat!

Congratulations on your car, and please don't be turned off. The interior back-up beep is pretty universally despised. Godiva's guide is good for installing an effective back-up beep that can be heard outside the car. You may surprise yourself with stealth mode (only electric power), not to mention the person who doesn't know you're there and moving...

8. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    As I recall, after about a week after I got my Prius, being a little tired of the reverse beep, I went to the google search window and typed something like "Prius reverse beep" and it took me to a forum (not this one) and to the post that had the instructions. That seemed easier than searching for a forum, going through the effort to register and then asking for the instructions. I have a feeling that even if you made this topic a sticky at the top of every forum on PriusChat that you'd still get this question endlessly. :rolleyes:

9. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Since we're seeing a lot of 12v batteries being replaced and a lot of new to the Prius used car buyers who aren't aware you can turn off the beeper I figured I'd bump this thread. The directions in post #3 work well. I just replaced my 12v and had to program the beep away again.

For those of you who are new to your 2nd generation Prii, the beeper is just a warning to you that the car is in reverse and is only heard INSIDE the car. It does nothing to alert anyone outside the car that you are backing up