1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable Safety Connect?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 413X3, Mar 28, 2011.

1. 413X3

413X3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't like the idea of Safety Connect, and already have AAA membership. How can I disable Safety Connect? I'm only a few months into a trial membership, do I call toyota to cancel? Or can I just disconnect some fuse? Thanks

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't have safety connect, but I assume you can't cancel since it's a courtesy subscription. I assume you just don't renew/pay when it comes due. Check with your dealer about pulling fuse. I'm sure the owner's manual doesn't give that level of detail.

pattu likes this.
  3. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The owner's manual lists the fuses, but I'm guessing SOS (may be called Mayday on the fuse list) doesn't have a dedicated fuse. Just call and opt out (or maybe just press the SOS button).

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did the dealer "activate" your subscription when you took delivery? I'll bet not as you would have balked. You haven't activated it from the car so why bother doing anything? Leave it alone & discard the activation and renewal letters when they arrive. I don't believe SC is going to badger you to subscribe, certainly not like Sirius/XM.

5. 413X3

413X3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well there is a green light and SOS is lit up, so I assume it's active?

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you not have self control?? Just don't use it and let the subscription run out.

7. retired navy

retired navy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Perhaps, as suggested...you should do nothing and let your complementary subscription expire.

Will your AAA service recognize and respond to an accident where you may have struck a deer while on a country road, you leave the roadway and your Prius goes down an embankment and rolls over several times, leaving you injured, unconscious or incapacitated?

Safety Connect will detect a collision or rollover and automatically dispatch emergency service aid to you, and try to communicate with you via their unique cellular system to determine your circumstance. I have read where this service has saved lives. This is why I decided not to subscribe to AAA, but, as with anything else...your situation may be different.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, the system is active but you aren't registered. SC doesn't know who bought the car until some data is forwarded from the dealer. That's when you will receive a letter asking you to register by pushing the button. Then they'll want more info & ask if you want to subscribe but they aren't pushy.

In January 2010 I tried using the system before registering. I started a thread about that. The 1st operator transfered me to a Lexus operator who wasn 't receiving my telemetry and so had no clue where I was. That operator then transfered me to a phone line. I'm irritated enough that I'm stuck in a parking lot with a brand new car that won't move and now I'm dealing with these idiots. A half hour later I finally get the car into gear & drive myself back to my dealer.

I've used SC a few times to summon police to a disabled vehicle or collision. Since I'm moving when calling the operators seem to be confused but I'm not going to sit for 5+ minutes while they fumble around to connect me to the police.

Whether you like it or not, you already paid for the hardware and the 1st year's service. BTW it seems like the clock doesn't start until you call & register so if you aren't going to use it then just don't touch the button.

9. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your dealer should have offered to register you at the time of purchase. Maybe your dealer wasn't on the ball. In Oct 09, I was the first one my dealer did, and it took them two tries to get it right, so you may have been early enough that they didn't know what to do. I didn't have to do anything special to activate. But if you had done it then, it would have been working when you first used it.

10. CheeseheadPrius

CheeseheadPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Mine was also registered at the dealership. The salesman and I went to a computer and brought up the SOS registration screen. After answering a bunch of questions and making up a password that was it. Got a letter and those plastic things for the keychain and a credit card size one a month later. BTW this was the first one my salesman did.

11. pattu

pattu New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't like the idea of having a cell phone(which what safety connect seems to be) about 8 inches from my head. Its shooting RF radiation constantly when the car is on, I suppose. I'd like to disable it or inactivate it.

12. Evoking

Evoking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Any like disabling it I also would like to disable it