1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disabled reverse beep today ==> Serenity Now

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by elmofongo, Mar 16, 2012.

1. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I'd tell him - sincerely - that his dealership had just lost any and all of my future service business. And then I'd walk away smiling. And I'd also let the service manager know via e-mail or letter. There's a customer relations manager at every shop, too.

If you drop in for a regular service, I think they they can damn well punch in a simple code while they have your car hooked up. The fact that they "warned" you not to ask again is sufficient reason to find another service department.

That said, I was able to get my ScangaugeII to dial in the changes. The start-up seatbelt alarm only went down to five beeps, though, but at least it doesn't continue hounding me as I drive off.

2. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your ScangaugeII did it???

I guess I don't understand all I know about a Scangauge... I thought the Scangauge just reads various codes and interprets them for you. So you can input commands to change things eh? I'm going to have to look in to one of those devices. Thanks!

3. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Scanguage has the ability to change parameters in all sorts of interesting and even potentially destructive ways. But I understand that the user interface is arcane enough that you won't do anything accidentally.

4. mikenewmediary

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This morning I was at my dealer dealing with the paint protection film I originally ordered online, but never received.(Ill start another post about this)

Anyway, while I was there I asked to have the beep disabled, which is really annoying. The dealer wanted to charge me, I was like, "Seriously", its a code input using a scanguage.

He told me any factory default changes were billable. I told him to forget it.

It just annoys me, its not like I purchased a toaster from these people.

-Mike

5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It may indeed be billable, but my dealer billed it to an internal account (probably related to new car make-ready).

6. Matt M.

Matt M. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree - it's ridiculous for them not to do it for free (ANY dealer, not just the one we purchased the car from) after spending $25-30k or more on the !(#$ car.

7. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1 person likes this.
  8. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is there anyone who had their beeps "professionally" disabled at the dealership who knows how many beeps are left in the startup/seatbelt chime after it's been adjusted?

While I got my backup beep to one, I can't get the startup to go less than five. It's better than it was before, but if there's a way to make that one less - like one beep - I'd try it.

9. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was at my dealership this weekend for the 5K Service. I asked them to please disable the multiple reverse beeps. They wanted to charge me $45 to do it and I refused. I said that it was ridiculous that the beeps were only heard inside the car and did nothing to warn anyone on the outside, like a truck would. He tried to tell me that it cost the dealership money to pay someone to do it. I said that it shouldn't be there in the first place and the default should be one beep.

I told him that I knew the owner and mentioned his name. He said that he would check with the manager. In the mean time I had met the Tech guy for the dealership, whom I had met before and provided him with a lot of Prius info, including links to videos on how to drive it. I mentioned the reverse beep discussion with the service dept and asked if he could help me out. He went over and talked to the guy in service and found out that he did comp me on the reverse beep charge.

When I went to pick up my keys after the service was completed. The service guy mentioned that they charged it off to the sales side. I thanked him and said that's fine with me since I have sent several customers their way.

One quick note - when I inquired about the latest entune update, the Tech guy updated my entune system from rev 1.74 to 1.84.

10. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One quick note - when I inquired about the latest entune update, the Tech guy updated my entune system from rev 1.74 to 1.84.[/QUOTE]

Glad you prevailed!

How did he do that update?? Can you give me details?

radio

11. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the tip - I'll have them remove mine the next time I'm at the dealer.
    It's a PIP, not a BEEP!

12. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the tip! I'll have my dealer remove that annoying beeping.
    It's a PIP, not a BEEP after all!

13. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad you prevailed!

How did he do that update?? Can you give me details?

radio[/QUOTE]

He got out his trusty usb drive and plugged it in. It took about 10-12 minutes to update. I wasn't there when he initiated the update. He had gotten my car from the service dept and started the update, then came in to tell me.

1 person likes this.
  14. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got it disabled yesterday, since I had to go to the dealer anyway. A tech plugged in a laptop, and it was done in about 5 minutes. Neat! So it's a software switch. Now the cab beeps once only when backing up. It never beeped to the outside, as I thought it did to warn pedestrians. Anyway, one beep is all I need.

15. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One of these days I will remove the noisemaker and install it outside.

16. wmmmmm

wmmmmm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am so close to ordering a scangauge to disable this before the 5K service. I don't want to spend another $160 since I already have the original scangauge. My problem is that the backup beep is the same as in my Honda Odyssey EXCEPT the Odyssey's beep is a proximity warning. The Odyssey beeps once when I put it in reverse and beeps when there are potential obstacles in the way. When I hear the constant beeping in the PIP, I keep thinking that there are kids/animals in the way that I can't see!!!

17. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It you wanted a new Scangauge anyway, then this is a good reason to get one. But if your main purpose is to get rid of the reverse beeping, then you can do it in other ways that aren't as expensive:

1. Any Android device + Bluetooth OBD2 adapter ($20) + Torque app for Android (if you own an Android device of have access to one) (see this post for more info: http://priuschat.com/forums/obdii-a...om-pids-torque-android-app-4.html#post1496361)

2. OBD2 to USB cable ($15) + laptop (see this thread: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ble-seatbelt-warning-sound-2.html#post1548489)

ss_neogeo and cahaverl like this.
  18. wmmmmm

wmmmmm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's tough. I have the original scangauge and autotap. Both of them work very well for what I purchased them for. Unfortunately, I couldn't get either one to talk to the PIP directly. Even though a generic OBD2 to USB cable is only $15, I already have way too much junk so I'm trying to limit what I "collect".

19. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, I just now ordered the Scangauge II from the PC shop. I just hope I can learn to work with it well enough to disable the beep.

20. wmmmmm

wmmmmm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I gave up. I thought I would get used to the backup beeping but I just couldn't stand it any more. So the scan gauge arrived last week. And after mulling over the x-gauge spread sheet for a few days, I figured out how to do it and disabled the backup beeps yesterday. Today, I backed up a few times and it was great to only hear the beep once per. I really can't figure out what the Toyota engineers were thinking of when they added the constant beeping to the inside of the car. Anyway, with the beeping gone, I wouldn't call it serenity but it's a lot better!