1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disabled reverse beep today ==> Serenity Now

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by elmofongo, Mar 16, 2012.

1. DeDeDaniels

DeDeDaniels New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    TOTALLY annoying beeping inside the car. My husband and I didn't remember the beeping when we test drove another PiP from the lot, so it must have been modified to "single beep" mode. Now, that is on my (hopefully) short list of things to have the dealer take care of for us when we go back.

2. sjsamdrake

sjsamdrake New Member

When I bought my Advanced last week I insisted as part of the sale that they disable the backup beep. The sales manager decided to try to be a Big Man and make me pay $45 for it ... and I decided to berate him for trying to nickel-and-dime me for one tenth of one percent of the sale price. So they agreed to do it No Charge. (I *will* take points off on the Toyota Survey if I receive one ... it was truly classless of him to even bring it up.)

But nobody was in who knew how to do it that evening, so today I had to take the car back in and have them do it. I dropped it off and came back a few hours later.

A minor hassle, but at least it's done.

3. podmon

podmon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To me this is a big distraction when driving in reverse. When Toyota gets lawsuits claiming the infernal beeping caused an accident maybe they'll change the default to be the single beep.

4. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you explain how you did it (or direct us to specific instructions on how to disable using the x-gauge)? Thanks-

5. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I disabled it by my self a year ago.

6. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BEEP BEEP BEE BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP :eek: :eek::eek: Nurse!!!

7. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'Found it... Scan Gauge II Question | PriusChat

8. yukit

yukit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My dealer wants $70 to change the backup beep to one beep.

I think I would consider getting a scan gauge to do that myself.

I already have an OBD connector that connects to a laptop but it does not support CAN protocol unfortunately.

9. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

That's a lot of money to do something that takes 2 minutes. Mine had quoted me $45 when I went in for my 5k service, but luckily I threw the owners name out there and told them that I had brought in several customers. So, it was quickly reduced to $0. I think they may have charged it off to sales. I don't really care, as long as they didn't charge it off to me!!!

Besides, I had educated my sales guy by sending him info and video links to help him educate his prospective customers, which could only lead to increased sales.

10. JamesCSmith

JamesCSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I got my new Scan Gauge II last night and disabled the backup beep myself. Once you figure out how to program the xgauge codes it only takes 2 minutes. (but the figuring it out the first time part took me more like 30 or 60 minutes)

If anyone in OC want to want to stop by my place I would be happy to turn off your backup beeper for free. I probably could have found a local dealer to do it for free (or at least a whole lot less expensive than the cost of a scan gauge) but I don't enjoy going to the dealer and I wanted to tinker with other Scan Gauge features.

11. lwp

lwp New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with James C Smith 100%. Although it didn't take quite an hour more like a half. But I disabled the seat belt alert also. (Yes I do wear my seat belt) I usually put it on as I start out, besides you still have the dash light to let you know ... anyway, love the scangaugeII , bit pricey but loads of information with it...

12. ProudPriusPapa

ProudPriusPapa New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First, thanks everyone for letting me know that it was even an option to change this super irritating setting.

Second, funny story. I contacting a sales person I had been working with to inquire with the service department how much it would be to change this setting. He came back to me with $60-$75. I told him that sounds pretty steep for simply changing a setting. Never heard back.

I called the same service department independently and asked how much it would cost to get rid of the repeated beeping. Guess how much they quoted me? Nothing. Free. Unbelievable!!

I had the setting changed this past weekend. Ah, the serenity!

13. thx123

thx123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    After driving my PIP for about 2 months now, I think I understand why Toyota might have decided to play alert sound (beep) when reversing. Prius lacks mechanical response when changing gear. There were instances where I put the gear in reserve, but for some reason it didn't really engage (or switch) to reverse. I could see this causing small accidents. Beeping is still annoying... I manage to ignore it.

drash likes this.
  14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've posted this before.
    But I guess it makes me really, really "weird" as far as Prius Ownerhship goes.

BUT...I like the reverse beep.
    No kidding.

And I don't get the absolute venomous hatred it seems to provoke. I mean, how long are you guys staying in reverse? To me the reverse alarm just acts like a reminder to be more vigilant because you are in reverse. And whatever situation, I'm usually in reverese 10 seconds....or a lot less.

But it's OK. I have to think given the number of " I Hate The Reverse Beep" posts...and the shared sigh of relief once it get's reduced or disabled, that I am in the minority.

But please cast one vote for "I Like The Reverse Beep".

Lourun likes this.
  15. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't mind it either, would never turn it off!

16. ProudPriusPapa

ProudPriusPapa New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Haha. You guys are too funny. It never occurred to me that people might actually like the beeping!

17. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's just
    Ike the seat belt beep, it beeps until everybody in front puts on their belt. Back up beeps while you back up, how long is that, 5 seconds, come on!

18. SudeepHArya

SudeepHArya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Whoa wait, I just bought a 2014 PIP and that beep is annoying like a bee hives nest in front of a soda fountain in death vally. I did not realize that the people outside the PIP cannot hear the beeps. What is the purpose of this? What was the thought process, I doubt Toyota did something so irrational without a thought process that justified this.

19. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The idea behind the inside beep is to prevent the following scenario:

It's Monday morning and you pull up to a red light and realize that your front end is past the crosswalk and a tad bit into the intersection. You put it in reverse, check your rear view mirror to see if there is a car behind you, and seeing no cars you back up a few feet to clear the intersection. You've got the radio on listening to some really groovy sounds and all of a sudden your favorite tune comes on. You have to turn it up and as you're doing so the cell in ur pocket buzzes indicating you have a text waiting. While you're composing (in your mind) a reply to that text the light changes to green. Normally always being in a hurry on weekdays, you tromp on the pedal... and it's in that split second, just before the crash, that you wish you would have had some kind, any kind, of reminder that your had put it in reverse....

radio

Astolat, Lourun and WilDavis like this.
  20. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree with your thinking. Also, when you are 76 like me you need all the reminders you can get about everything. The reverse beep is at times annoying to me also but I'll leave mine as is.

WilDavis and Lourun like this.