1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disabling Smart Entry without Disabling Smart Start or Wireless Remote

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Kushuk, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Kushuk

Kushuk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My reason for disabling the smart entry system was due to learning about the ability to amplify the signal in order to break in to vehicles while the key fobs were in the house. (see nytimes article) I didn't want to hide my keys in a freezer/Faraday cage at home and every time I went somewhere (e.g. the beach).

I couldn't use the SKS disabling technique, because it disables both the Smart Entry and Smart Start functions at the same time and I wanted the Smart Start (Power button) to still work.

I tried removing Fuse 13, but this also disabled the wireless remote, which I wanted to still work.

I learned that each transmitter location broadcasts its location (driver door, passenger door, rear entry, interior front, center, rear...) and that the key responds with that information as well, so it's possible to disable the Smart Entry system without disabling the Smart Start system. Any amplifier-intrusion technique would just amplify the interior signal, which would allow someone to start the car, but wouldn't allow them to open it (granted, they could break the glass).

I was able to accomplish this by physically disconnecting the "oscillator/transmitter" which is the BLUE plug in the door. You can see it in the panel removal thread found at paulstravelpictures Toyota-Prius-Front-Door-Panel-Removal-Guide In those photos, there's nothing plugged in - apparently that Prius doesn't have passenger-side access installed. This thread also shows you how to take off your door panel.

Writing this up because all this information wasn't in one place.

Kevin_Denver likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks!(y)