1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disappointed new owner, Won't go into ready mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MSouthard, Nov 8, 2016.

1. MSouthard

MSouthard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Everyone,

I've lurked around for a little while and have been trying to find a previous thread that was my issue. I haven't found one yet, so I am making my own. Forgive me if I missed one.

I bought a used, as is, 2006 Prius v2 (we believe) a couple of months ago with the intention of it replacing my P.O.S. current car. It went well for the first week or two, but it soon started showing signs of a bigger problem.

The first thing I noticed was that the 12v battery was not always regaining charge while driving and would lose all bars, this would make the car lethargic and seemingly stuck in "first gear." It would slowly decelerate down to below 20 mph and it wouldn't accelerate above 15, it seemed. This happened often. The only fix would be to restart the car entirely. It happened at what seems to be random times, never at a certain speed or driving style.

Then I decided I would drive it for a little while and see if that could help get some kind of charge going, instead of driving around town with the sudden changes and stop and go traffic, I drove to Mobile, AL. At the time I lived in Pensacola, FL. The drive is roughly 50 minutes and is usually a smooth drive.

The drive to Mobile went really well. I don't think I had to restart at all; however, this has been a little while ago, I may have had to restart once.

On the way back to Pensacola things didn't go as smooth. We crossed out of Mobile's city limits and got to Daphne, AL exit, maybe 13 miles out. The Prius had what I call a "kick," where it feels like it just downshift without warning or cause, a jolt of the car almost as if you hit something but it only momentarily slowed you down. Except after this "kick" the battery went empty again. I had gas in the car and so I know it wasn't that, at least the display showed plenty of gas (over half). The car grudged forward as it steadily lost power, and with my hazards on I pulled off on to the exit ramp and into the first gas station I saw. We got out and turned the car off, looked for any damages or leaks and we couldn't find anything. Went inside for a couple of minutes and when I tried to turn the car back on, it would only go into Accessory mode. It wouldn't "turn over," per say. The lights and radio and horn and everything else worked fine, but it wouldn't ready.

I had someone try to jump the prius and it didn't work. We had to have it towed to Pensacola the next day.

Our best guess was that the 12v needed to be replaced, seemingly not holding a charge and unable to start the car. We replaced the battery and it didn't do squat. Tested the old battery and it was perfectly holding charge and even worked in another car.

The next part was a little puzzling. When we disconnected the 12v battery and reconnected, the car would start, but as soon as you turned it off it would have to be disconnected and reconnected again in order to start again.

This went on for about a month. I moved to Mobile for school driving my P.O.S. currently and often visit home. One attempt to go back to take the Prius to get diagnosed went wrong. It wouldn't start at all, not even with out trick. The battery wasn't dead, either.

It will still go into ACC mode just fine and everything works in that mode except for it won't go into ready mode.

The car has some warning lights on, and has since I purchased the car, unfortunately we did not have the money at that time to have it diagnosed and fix whatever the issues may be.

MAYBE IMPORTANT: At one point I ran my Prius out of gas. My indicator showed I had gas, but I did not. My mother brought gas and filled it almost half way full, and I drove it home. I have read that when the Prius runs out of gas the computer has to be reset. Is this true? Can I do this cheaper than taking it to Toyota? Might this have anything to do with why it won't turn on?

ONE ATTEMPT TO SOLVE SOME DASH LIGHTS: I had noticed that the Hybrid Vehicle Immobilizer/Theft Deterrent System Indicator light was on. This is the car silhouette with a key inside of it.

I changed the key fobs battery and this light still comes on unless the fob is in the fob holder in the dash. Once I place the fob in its holder the light goes off.

OTHER LIGHTS:
    brAKE System Warning
    Check Engine
    Master Warning
    Anti-Lock Break System Warning
    Maintenance Required
    Vehicle Stability Control Warning
    Hybrid System Warning (I believe)

Please help me figure out what to do, I really can't keep driving the P.O.S. I currently am and spent a lot of money on this Prius. I was and am excited to own one, but something has to be done soon or else the car will just be left to sit.

#1 MSouthard, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First, make a call to a nearby auto parts store like oreily's or advanced auto and see if they will read the error codes. Often they will do it for free. Once you find out the code(s) report back here.

Alternately if you have a smart phone you can buy a bluetooth obdii device and an app that will allow you to read codes yourself.
    Will cost you under $50.

As far as running out of gas, there is not any computer that needs to be reset.

Also you may want to replace the battery in your key fob.
    Should be less than $15

Feel free to call if you want some more advice.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll chime in being a southern neighbor. IMHO, old, high mileage hybrid car with preexisting problems is not a great buy (regardless of cost) for cash strapped persons who know little about cars and can't DIY.

don't get me wrong, this a highly reliable car when new or newish (like mine that has 80,000+ miles), but when they age and major parts fail, non-DIY repairs are cost prohibitive.

Mod note - don't recommend people repost elsewhere. It creates unnecessary work for us. Instead, be helpful and report the post be moved and we will move it if necessary. Thank you...

#3 Former Member 68813, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Your car is telling you what's wrong (warning lights) but you're not listening (reading the codes). Get them read and you'll have a better understanding of what needs to be done.

If the car is still on the original HV (high voltage) battery, it's probably toast.

5. MSouthard

MSouthard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Obviously, but that's not exactly helpful. I know that if I could get it read that I could find out exactly what's going on, but that's not really what this discussion website is all about.

I was hoping that someone could give me an insight to some of the correlations between the problems that I stated and the issues that have been solved before, or perhaps relations to the lights that are active on the dash. I have read the users manual and understand what these lights are for, but I have also read elsewhere (mostly on here) that just following the manual does not always help the customer understand the full extend and that by discussing with others who have experienced the issues as well can lead to a less stressful solution.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

I cannot get the car to start and a tow is way too expensive, ergo I can't take it to get read. I've read up a little about the Bluetooth readers, but haven't found one that had reliable reviews. Any particular ones that have shown to be trustworthy in your time?

And I have replaced the battery in my fob already, as stated in the paragraphs above.

Thanks, I'll cross post it there. I'm still new and didn't know where to turn.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where's the nearest Toyota dealer/service center?

7. MSouthard

MSouthard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The nearest Toyota dealer and center is only about 30 minutes away, but if someone can do the same services that Toyota can without charging for brand name then I'd rather do so.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

how many miles on her?

Tere's tampa prius, but a pretty good haul from jacksonville.

9. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Your key issue, look under the steering wheel is there two buttons? One on the left says "key" and the right one "reset". Make sure the "key" button is out not pushed in. See if that helps.

The battery indicator with the bars that go from blue to purple is related to your hybrid battery not the 12v battery in the right rear of the car. There could be any number of issues that would cause the problems you are seeing, only way to know is to get a code reader and pull the codes. The best is reader is a mini vci w/techstream software for diy, next is the dealership, and last is autoparts or retail purchased reader. Any other reader outside of techstream/dealership may not pull all the codes that could be causing your problems.

Additionally, your 12v battery could also be an issue. Try this:

Hope this helps.

MSouthard likes this.
  10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What you describe could have many possible causes.
    The reason the codes are needed is so you can narrow it down for us.
    If I was there in person and didn't have a code reader I could probably figure it out, but even then it would take a lot of time.

So lets work together to get the codes.

Sounds like you will not have others read the code for you, so you'll need to buy the equipment yourself. (Or borrow from a friend?)

First, do you have an Android smartphone or an Apple device?

MSouthard likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to say it, but you really will need to know the codes in order to locate the trouble. It sounds to me like it's almost for sure the hybrid battery based on the symptoms you describe. Looks like you already proved that the 12v battery is good. BTW, as mentioned earlier, the bars on your display are for the hybrid traction battery, not the 12v battery. Also, the 12v battery does not start the engine; that's done by the hybrid battery. The 12v basically runs the computer, plus some other duties that I don't yet totally have in my head.

But you should use a code reader that will read all the Prius codes (NOT like what you'll get a the Advance Auto type parts stores). If it wasn't so far from Tampa to Pensacola, I would be happy to read them for you. You could spend a ton of money trying to fix this car without a code reader.

I did a quick search and found a mobile Prius batter repair in your area. I have NO IDEA how good they are. But perhaps they can come read your codes so you can decide how to proceed. I need to make more posts before I'm allowed to give the link, though. Anyone else know anything about "fix my hybrid" in Pensacola?

MSouthard likes this.
  12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In a different thread a poster was stumbling around, guessing what the problem might be.
    As soon as he got a way to read the codes and related data , it was easy to see what was wrong within 30 seconds.

#12 ericbecky, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    MSouthard likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

14. MSouthard

MSouthard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an Android device

15. MSouthard

MSouthard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just placed my order for a "Ideashop Mini VCI V8.10.021 16pin" with techstream. Hopefully I can figure out how to use it easily and be able to get the codes for more specific help. 1478932263766.png

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Minivci can be complex to set up.
    Often is easiest on an laptop running Microsoft xp.

Since you have an Android device, an additional tool you may want to purchase is a Bluetooth OBDII device. Sometimes is nice to have around for a quick check of error codes. While not as feature-rich as Techstream, it boots up much more quickly and can get you the basic code info.
    You use the Bluetooth OBDII device in conjunction with an app called he called "Torque". You can download the app from the Google Play Store.
    You plug the Bluetooth OBDII device into your cars communication port. Then you open the Torque app on the phone to read the error code(s).

MSouthard and jerrymildred like this.
  17. MSouthard

MSouthard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I wish I would have known that before buying the minivci.

18. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is plenty of mobile mechanics on Craigslist that can read your codes for small charge if the car is not drive able or take it to Autozone and have them read it for you. As soon as you post the codes we can start to figure out what's going on

MSouthard likes this.
  19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Codes would be good to get.
    But I agree.
    It sounds to me like the OP is attributing 12 volt battery failure to symptoms I think are indicative of HV battery failure.
    Maybe not even understanding the difference.

The bars you see...are not indicating 12 volt battery charge...they indicate HV battery charge.

Of course the battle cry often repeated in Prius Chat is to check or replace your 12 volt. It can manifest as a Gremlin causing a lot of symptoms. And it's "cheaper" to replace and deal with than the HV battery. So often that is the recommended starting point.

My fear however in this case is that it is the HV battery failing and NOT the 12 volt.

At this point you need determination. And unfortunately this may require professional diagnosis.
    Good Luck, and I hope I am wrong. ---and I certainly could be.
    The "better" scenario in terms of cost or trouble...is failure of the 12 volt battery as opposed to the HV battery.

20. MSouthard

MSouthard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well unless the connection from the 12v to the car is the problem, it is not the 12v. I have had it replaced and tested (I should have just tested it first). Both batteries were fine, but the big battery probably has a cell that's not working right.