1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disappointed with '07 transaxle fluid report

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alexilic, Oct 13, 2011.

1. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed my '07s transaxle fluid at 80k. Even when I went to Toyota to pick up 4 qts WS fluid, they said I don't have to touch it till 100k. I really wanted to change it sooner, but 4 kids and life get in the way ;)

Anyways, here is the Blackstone Lab report. It seems like this fluid should of been changed a long time ago??!! I'm really surprised Toyota doesn't recommend earlier intervals? Should I write corporate explaining my disappointment?

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am unsure how to translate "The oil was starting to show it's age" as "this fluid should of been changed a long time ago" (and yes, I mine changed at 60K)

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From the title, I thought you were disappointed with the lab, or that the fluid was in such good shape that it didn't need to be changed (both would have been surprising).

This is pretty typical unfortunately. I don't know if Toyota will change policy if enough people write in. But you've probably added 100,000 miles to your car's life expectancy.

4. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He said I ran "twice as long as average".. that's what I was basing my comment on.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you are the sort of person who waits until the scheduled maintenance, how likely are you to use a lab?

The lab sees shorter fluid usage because the folks who use a lab tend to be the folks who change early. I changed at 60,000 miles but did not use a Lab, I figured I was 40,000 miles early, I will change again at 120,000 and know I am twice as often as most Prius owners.

I am not surprised by "twice as long as average", I just fail to see what that has to do with your fluid. They make the comment to explain the metals in the fluid, if you changed at 40,0000 there would be about half the metals.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am just so appreciative of the guys on this site that help teach the rest of us what we really need to do with our cars. I changed my transaxle fluid at 30k miles due to recommendations here. I did not have a lab analysis but I think just the appearance of the old versus new fluid spoke volumes.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I had changed mine sooner. I think I did it at 130,000.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would encourage writing them. It wouldn't hurt and their reply should provide amusement for us if yoyu will share it with us. As far as accomplishing anything, bzzzt! Toyota knows full well how the oil hold up when run as long as they recommend.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all toyota (or any mfg) cares about is getting you past warranty.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some cynicism is justifiable, but if that were fully true cars wouldn't be generally reliable for 150,000-200,000+ miles if maintained according to factory recommendations.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it could be that prius in general will be reliable for 150 - 200,000 miles when maintained according to factory recommendations?

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Years ago (somewhere between 4 and 10), there was an article on Autoweek (IIRC) that reported that GM changed their parts testing procedures to test until part failure instead of mileage warranty expiration. Unfortunately, the article's long gone.

My parents owned 3 GM products prior to the change, so it's not surprising their reliability wasn't very good...

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting report, yeah it does look like it could have been changed earlier.

I changed mine until 65000 miles but I didn't get a sample analyzed. Someone here (I think it was Bob Wilson) recommended getting the factory fill changed out at 30k miles and then changing every 60k miles after that.

14. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I would say the used fluid (and the transaxle) was in great shape. There was no moisture (one of the main reasons that the transaxle fails). Viscosity was 86% as compared to new fluid - not bad at all. Some wear metal is expected and no big deal. If I was the OP I would be very happy knowing the fluid did its job well for 80K miles.

15. 2005prius

2005prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Did you have any problems after changing the fluid later than recommended?

I ask because I'm approaching 150K and I don't think it's ever been changed.

I was told by one of my mechanics that sometimes transmission clutch disks fail after a delayed oil change because the dirt in the oil is holding everything together and the fresh oil will "clean" the grime that is allowing the friction on the clutch disks.

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius transaxle does not have clutch disks. It is better to change the ATF late than not at all.

Raytheeagle, Skibob and 2005prius like this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    G2 transaxles don't fail from moisture they fail because people beat the shit out of them. Low volt hi load overheat of windings.

If you change the fluids on any new car at about 10,000 miles your usually good to go for the life of the car. Its that initial break in that contains all the bad stuff. .The G3 trans fluid looks really bad after break in. Milkshake.

The trans fluid on my bought new 07 looked bad at 5,000 miles like most transaxles where the fluid also serves the differential. Subsequent 35,000 mile changes of trans fluids show no wear at all really after getting that break in oil out of there.

Same goes for the Inverter fluid and the engine coolant. The G2 is very hard on the Inverter fluid and pretty easy on the ice coolant.

The G2 is an engineering marvel. All you need to do is keep high quality fluid in it.

Skibob, SFO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mine definetely wasn't in "milkshake" condition, but I fully agree: an early change is the most beneficial, judging from the look. I drained ours around 10K miles, and it was quite dark compared to new fluid. Subsequent drain-and-fill, the drained fluid looked like new.