1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disappointed with Toyota Dealerships? Go to a Lexus dealership instead!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Jun 7, 2010.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just thought I would mention that as my mother and I were in our local Lexus dealership where we have bought 3 cars and are eyeing a fourth, the sales rep guy mentioned that there are certain things that the Lexus dealership would be glad to do on our Prius, no extra charge. If anything needs fixing, they can order it from the Toyota depot and do the work themselves.

Now, I have only owned the car since February and apart from a couple oil changes nothing has been needed. But the offer is pretty good in my book. From all the horror stories about Toyota dealerships I don't really want to go in one. But everytime we are at our local Lexus dealership, we get free popcorn, free pop, free muffins, free fruit, internet access, reclining leather chairs, big screen plasmas, the works.

So taking the car there for the next oil change with a free car wash seems like a no brainer. Perhaps others can ask for service at their Lexus places if they are not happy with the Toyota service? I don't know if this is a special offer since we are good Lexus purchasers, but I am guessing the majority here (or at least a good bunch) have both brands so it might be an option.

Just throwing it out there, and I'll think of you at the Toyota dealership nextime I am nibbling on a chocolate muffin with some hot tea watching TV in the leather recliner of our Lexus dealership for my Prius' oil change!

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Or if you have a Lexus, you can take it to a Toyota dealership and get it serviced for less with the same OEM parts! ;)

But probably no chocolate muffins and reclining leather chairs...

3. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    True, but the upcharge is worth it in my book.

They even know our first last names from having met us a handful of times. Almost stalker like, but nice.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's their price for a simple engine oil and oil filter change?

5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well my friend's GS is $39.99 which I think would be more comparable than the $49.99 for the RX's we have.

Compared to normal pricing of mid $30's for the other quick lube places, I dont think it is too bad. I used to pay $34 at Grease Monkey for my civic if I didnt have a coupon.

6. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota Dealer oil change and tire rotation and visual inspections: $130.00
    Independent garage with car mechanic I have known for years, same service: $39.00

Guess where go for routine maintenance?

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Be advised; If your original Prius factory warranty has expired, and you are requiring work under Toyota's factory "extended" warranty (even bumper to bumper, zero deductable) ... you can expect Lexus to tell you they are not authorized to do the work. It was as difficult as an act of congress to get them to do it. I've heard the reverse order is true, too ... meaning taking your Lexus to Toyota. That may eventually be an issue with us, as there are NO Lexus dealers in Montana ... but we do have lots of Moose.
    :p

1 person likes this.
  8. sakai

sakai New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eoin, where on earth did you get that price for an oil change service - a government run Toyota dealership? I just had a bunch of major service done, but my last toyota full synthetic oil change and tire rotation only cost me $65. And as an added bonus, they actually filled the oil to the proper level (I checked, thanks to all of you).

9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Simple: The standard of living in NY is higher than SC by a factor of two. :D

10. Kimoy

Kimoy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Toyota dealership I go to has a better facility than your Lexus dealership because it has all the things you mentioned plus a 12 seat theater room and besides the main waiting room there is 2 video game room, a separate Internet room and a couple more tv rooms with leather theater seats with flatscreen on the wall. I should take some pics the next time I go. It should be soon since I am going to have my second oil change at 5k and am almost there.

11. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You would not believe the cost of living on Long Island. Examples:

Suffolk county sales tax: 8.652%
    Average home in my zip code: over 600K
    Average property tax: over 10k
    Cost to commute in bridge tolls: over $200 a month.

12. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Um... I thought LA had it bad.

Sales tax: 9.75%
    Average home: $600,000+ up to a gazillion

And gas tanks costs an arm and a leg here compared to the rest of the country.

But going back to topic, thanks for the tip.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not knocking investigating options if your not happy.

But in general it suprises me sometimes how impressed people become with the simplest "extras".

Seriously, people will make a huge car deal, sign on the dotted line, primarily because somebody gives them a 'free cup of coffee and a muffin". I've seen people fall in love because "John threw in free floor mats". Let's not be so easily impressed people.

If you've bought 3 cars from that Lexus dealership? Yeh, they're going to offer to fix your Prius, Paint your family room and baptise your newborn.

Also, yeah, I'm jealous...but I'm tired of hearing about rich people getting free things. When most of working class get our car fixed, all we get is a long wait, a rickety chair, maybe a tv tuned to Jerry Springer and if we ask for something to eat and drink, an extra from Deliverance might be kind enough to point at the vending machine.

I'm leading a rebellion! Screw your Lexus Muffins! To hell with your Plasma Television. Come on down to Jiffy Lube and read a 4 month old article in a wrinkled issue of PEOPLE magazine in a badly painted waiting "area" while their trained technicians scream out a script that makes it sound like changing your oil is akin to a moon landing.

Us poor people don't get anything for free. If I go anywhere and take a pop and muffin? Suddenly I'm sitting in a room looking at shop lifting statutes.

Screw you all, elitist bastards. Nothing is free. One way or another they are shamming you...your just too rich to know it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Kimoy

Kimoy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn't trust my prii to jiffy lube. They also cost more compare to the Toyota dealer I go to. It is your choice not to go to a dealer to get your car serviced. So stop whining. I am not rich. I work hard to keep ends meet but I choose to have my car serviced by a dealer i know. This is the 6th Toyota I owned and been to almost all dealership around my area and found this one to be more reputable. I've been ping to this dealership to have my Toyota fixed even before they move to this big location.
    Again stop your whine.

15. Kimoy

Kimoy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And oh yes I get the oil changed on my gen3 prii for free for the next 2 years. I know not much but it's 2 years.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't recommend taking a Prius to Jiffy Lube either. I was more or less just kidding in my whole post. Damn my adversion to Smilies....

However, I am tired about hearing about rich people getting free perks...they don't need em' they can afford to buy their own muffins.

I'm never going to stop whining until the common man can expect a Plasma TV, a Leather Lounger and a continental style luncheon!

17. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah he was only sort of kidding... smilies man, put them in next time.

18. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got your post. I actually laughed out loud a little bit. :)

My point is, all these people on the forums complain about how horrid their Toyota dealers are. They are going to a dealership anyways, why not switch it up, get better service, and (with the exception of the guy with the video game room in their Toyota dealership) better amenities.

And I like my free muffins! Sometimes when I am hungry and passing by, I go in, flash my keys, grab a muffin and leave. :) I figure the extra financing through the dealer allots me 2 muffins a month with no service.

1 person likes this.
  19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The standard of living, or the cost of living?

Tom

20. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Actually, really poor people don't get their cars serviced in garages. They pay somebody to fix it on the street or in the Autozone parking lot. I see this all the time in the Bronx. Sadly, there are no leather recliners or plasma TVs... it's tragic.