1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

disappointing EPA MPG numbers?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Former Member 68813, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got excited about the Prius c concept (I like small cars) till I compared the EPA numbers 46/53 compared to 48/51 for regular 3rd generation Prius. While I easily exceed the EPA numbers in my Prius, I expected much higher numbers in smaller Prius c.

Are the EPA numbers underestimated or is hybrid too mild in Prius c?

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    With some of the numbers I'm seeing in city driving (or slower commuting), I might just stay off the interstates altogether. ;D

3. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

the ERA is more like average MPG. some people can get only 47MPG combine on prius and some other can get 55MPG. lol

I read couple reports and the average MPG on the Prius C is about 50 -55 combine. it get less on highway speed. it is easy to get 55MPG on city driving.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is very difficult to make a short car aerodynamic. The highway mileage suffers because at highway speeds you are moving a lot of air around.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My Jeep is very short and it...oh. Never mind.

:D

Tom

6. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe you can modify and make the c and the Jeep more aerodynamic... like Inspector Clouseau's Silver Hornet below!

Attached Files:

7. Sunkiss'd C

Sunkiss'd C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I only put 125 miles on my odometer, but I definitely get better than 46mpg on the fwy (on the screen anyways). High 50s low 60s is more like it, and im a newb. I haven't filled up yet, so I don't know how accurate it is. Though someone here did say that the prius c computer is almost dead on compared to the regular Prius.

8. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. What's your average highway speed?

EDIT: I saw your other post. Nevermind...again, impressive.

9. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would explain the hwy numbers. The city part is also interesting as the 500 lbs weight reduction (~16%) gives only 4% MPG gain. I read that the Prius C battery is smaller capacity by 33%. Maybe that is the key?

Nevertheless, sounds like the Prius c is the best Prius so far for city driving (unless one drives under 10 miles and PiP is the best).

10. WX4GPS

WX4GPS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    yeah same here have to wait and see how accurate the MID is, I keep driving between lexington and Georgetown and get high 60's low 70's over 15 to 20 miles. Highway after a good distance I can get in the 50's on flat freeway, hills appear to be dropping me closer to 49 to 50 after about 55+ miles.

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the city could be better but they had to keep costs low. I assume that with higher performing batteries and/or hybrid power train they could grab a lot more juice back from braking and increase mileage.

If you look at it another way, though, the second gen Prius came out 8 years ago and the mileage has not improved much since then. There definitely appears to be a bit of a ceiling following the initial gains of the technology that will not move quickly. Mileage I expect to keep creeping up, but unless we're willing to pay a great deal more for advanced tech, no more huge gains. I guess the 4th gen Prius would be something like 53/49 or 53/50 vs the current 51/48

12. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the 3rd generation Prius gained 3 MPG (6.5%) while gained 100 lbs in weight. I count it significant. Then Prius c average MPG is flat compared with 3rd gen while it lost 500 lbs.

I guess a part of that is limitations of the smaller, 1.5L engine at hwy speeds (higher RPM). We saw that in the 2nd gen as well. But I bet if one drives slower, EPA hwy numbers should be exceeded greatly.

13. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I suspect that when Toyota is designing these things they probably look at a balance between cost of the vehicle and fuel economy. Lets say they could have a Prius that gets 60 mpg, but costs one or two thousand more to manufacturer, they would have to decide which is going to be more profitable. Will the extra 8% efficiency be enough to entice customers to buy, despite the increase in cost?

14. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. It's good to have more choices. And we have them now ranging from c to v and between.

C is clearly a winner for city driving. Classic is a winner for longer hwy driving. V is great for having more than 3-4 people inside I guess.

15. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, lets say you take a 2012 new Prius, a regular Prius, and
    reduce its weight by 500 lbs to a curb weight of say 2,600 lbs

I would think the official MPG from EPA would probably read 55 city 50 hwy, I know it could be done with carbon fiber etc. but would be way too expensive.

I must say that our Prius, even with a gross weight of 3,850 lbs,
    weighed on Oregon State Truck Scale, delivered 54 mpg calculated
    on our trip last year, all three of us, from Seaside to San Francisco and back. Took I-5 down and the coast hwy back.

I wonder with the same cargo weight what the Prius C would deliver
    for MPG on an identical trip in the summer.