1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disappointing free NAV upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bradnunn, Dec 2, 2004.

1. bradnunn

bradnunn Junior Member

I recently got the free Nav update DVD. The only difference I noticed was that I had to reset my home region after the upgrade. Otherwise I have noticed nothing different. I had hoped that the upgrade would allow for route guidance via smaller roads in rural areas. As before, the roads are on the map and the names even display correctly however, route guidance will not direct you down these roads even if they would provide a considerably shorter route. My 2 year old $400 Garmin handheld will route me over these roads. I had hopes that the upgrade would address this issue. No such luck.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed my newer DVD actually made my current neighborhood *less* accurate, however I'm okay with that since everything else is generally more complete.

AZ still has alot of changing roads which this DVD can't possibly cover as this data is probably still ©2003 if we're lucky.

3. tntna

tntna New Member

I've only had the car a week and am not a nav expert, but I remember seeing settings for things like toll roads, etc that could be turned on and off. I'm wondering if there isn't a setting somewhere that's telling the nav system to only use major roads.

4. tntna

tntna New Member

I actually was showing a coworker the car and took a quick look at some of the settings. I didn't see anything that might be causing the nav system to avoid using backroads.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Could somebody please try to locate a Walgreen drugstores in Columbia, SC and tell me if any are there now?

I tried it with my 3.X and was told I'd have to drive 80+ miles. Funny, the one I did go to was 3 miles away...

6. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I had the Nav upgrade done on Friday. The errors that I had noticed on the previous edition (missing the freeway onramp near my house, mislocating a restaurant in Mill Valley, CA, missing the shortest route from Oakland to Mountain View) are all fixed. Also, my home location now has the correct address associated with it (I had set the location as a mark with my parked in its normal location). Also, the "Do not enter" symbol on the close up intersection map now only shows only for roadways that truly one-way, rather than for every direction you are not supposed to turn.

However, the new version now seems to interpret more road bends as full turns, and the voice sometimes indicates a turn when you should go straight. For example, the entrance to the east portal of the Caldecott Tunnel was considered a right turn, even though I was actually continuing straight on Highway 24 (and I was not exiting for several miles). The same was true for some freeway onramps where the correct action was to continue accross an intersection (shown correctly on the diagram) but the voice navigation instructed a left or right turn. All in all, it seems like a worthy free upgrade--just don't rely totally on the voice navigator.

I waited until I got the letter from Toyota about the upgrade. When I requested the upgrade from the dealer (using the LSC-40) designator, they called me back to confirm that I wanted the paid upgrade. I brought them the dealer's memo for the work that I had downloaded from Priuschat, and they said they still hadn't gotten it from Toyota. Anyway, they kept a copy of the note, using it to order the upgrade. It was ready for me in two days.

7. Tobalt

Tobalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Free Nav Update? Did I miss something here?

8. tag

tag Senior Member

9. tag

tag Senior Member

I don't know how many there are in Columbia, but I was able to find one with the new DVD (v4.2).

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, the only one I knew of was on Forest Drive, but if you found even one it's a step-up from *my* NAV. Thanks.

I *guess* if I ever get the letter, I'll follow through...

11. tag

tag Senior Member

Yep, the one I was able to locate was on Forest Drive.