1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disappointing G3 exterior

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by yardman 49, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But not everybody wants tint. Having it bare enables owners to apply varying levels of tint also.

The 17" changes everything.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree completely. The exterior looks aerodynamic and purposeful. The general shape is so close to the g2, I'm not sure how you can like one and dislike the other. I think that moving the hump back makes the g3 look better. I did add 17s so that may be part of it.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's already factory-tinted ~75% in the glass; going much darker than that would be illegal in some states for front side windows.

But that's like upgrading to a higher-end amplifier and keeping the same crappy speakers. Hardly a big improvement compared to better wheels.

4. Retsyn

Retsyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I certainly wasn't complaining about the overall design. I think it looks purposeful. The issue I (and others) have with it are some of the niggling details that Toyota seems to have cheaped out on. Things that could have been remedied for a few cents on the manufacturing line but weren't.
    If I didn't KNOW what the side impact crash test results were, I'd be concerned by the tinny sound that the rear doors make when you give them a good push. It sounds like you're denting a beer can.
    I'd say the largest sin of the engineers is too much cheap plastic. I actually LIKE the layout of the dash. I think the multifunction display is pretty damned cool. As a result though, the cheap nice person green backlit LCD HVAC controls stick out like a sore thumb. BECAUSE there's so much dash, it REALLY draws your attention to the ocean of cheap shiny plastic that it's composed of.
    My overall impression of the car is that something REALLY cool was engineered, THEN they let the bean counters have at it. None of this compromises the utility of the vehicle it just makes you think about what it COULD have been.

5. JB KC

JB KC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I replaced my silver 2005 Prius with a silver 2010 Prius. To me there is a world of difference between the two. However, no one, and I mean NO ONE I know noticed I got a new car right away.

If they did notice it was almost as if they were unsure of what had changed.

The reality is that those of us who admire the Prius will always be discussing every detail that everyone else doesn't even notice.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think the body styling is bad at all. But, no larger wheel option until the V at $31,300 MSRP ... that's out of many's range.

Another concern is not many people are saying it's not very engaging to drive. Maybe the V, but that's over $30k. I believe most reviewers always said the Civic Hybrid handled better than a non-touring Prius. Many say the Insight is more engaging to drive than Prius II - IV, but I don't know for sure.

But, I understand this car is mostly built for max fuel economy.

Biggest concern with this car is ergonomics. Something feels off with the available seat /steering wheel adjusments. Plus the driver's door armrest is absolutely too low. The Homelink mirror cannot be pushed up far enough and I absolutely hate a rearview mirror blocking my road level view.

I sat in a VW GTI this afternoon, and the driver's seating is fabulous and feels correct - better than the new Prius. Someone claimed VW is planning a diesel hybrid, but didn't give more details.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember that nowadays, just because it's thin, doesn't mean it's strong. Ultra-high tensile steel mean they can use less steel (thus thinner steel) and still get the same strength. This means less weight.

8. BlizzardJ

BlizzardJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The interior of the GTI is probably the best in the market for under $30K, the tranny too. I test drove one last year and was oh so close to getting one into my garage.