1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disappointing MPG Phoenix to Chicago Last Weekend

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by vr4playa, Nov 25, 2013.

1. vr4playa

vr4playa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We made the long trip from Phoenix to Chicago this past weekend and only averaged 35.6 mpg :(

Our best stretch was from Phoenix to Winslow where we averaged 39.1 and worst was Springfield, MO to Springfield, IL with an avg of 31.3mpg(this was most likely due to a 4hr pit stop where we left it running so the car would be heated).

The biggest surprise was not getting at least 40mpg through the state of NM considering we had to drive between 35-55mph for most of the state due to atrocious weather. The only reason I could see us getting less than 40mpg for most of the trip was most of the interstates had limits of 70-75mph which we stuck to and maybe went up to 5mph over a few times, however, driving a Prius I was more concerned with mpg than mph :p

Here's some of the important info on the ride: 2010 Prius 5 running on stock 17s with 215/45 17 Yokohama Avid ENVigor all around at 35psi. Just my wife and I as well as our small cat as far as riders. No heavy luggage or outside carriers/racks either. Last oil change was 104071 and we started trip at 105198. Car has been regularly maintained at Toyota dealer and had extensive svc records when we bought it in Sep(otherwise we wouldn't have got one with such high mileage).

Another item to note is we usually get about 45-48mpg avg per tank around Phoenix.

Any idea as to why it was so low this time?

2. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The cold temps coupled with high speeds were probably the most likely culprits that ruined your mileage. In addition, the 17" tires aren't helping either.

The lower speeds in NM would have normally helped, but trying to plow through snow would have been an issue at any speed.

These cars don't like the cold, very high speeds or adverse weather. Nothing you can do about it. Had you been in any other car, it would have been much worse.

3. milesmutt

milesmutt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

You just answered your question. More friction/resistance from inclement weather = less MPG.

4. vr4playa

vr4playa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There was no snow accumulation, however, it was probably the wind that was blowing that snow that "killed" our mpg.

The 17s don't help either and I even suggested to my wife to look out for stock 15s on Craigslist to throw snow tires on since the combo of 17s and all-seasons were not to fun in the AZ mountains and all of NM. Thankfully we arrived in TX just after the freezing rain cleared, in fact, if we hadn't stopped for 2hrs at a NM reststop we could've ended up in this...

UPDATE: Crashes involving 11 vehicles leave 3 dead, several injured | Amarillo.com Mobile

This was probably the worst accident I've ever seen up close. Traffic was backed up over a mile on I-40. Since we were able to get off on one of the service roads we drove past to see several semis that were demolished as well as a gray Nissan Versa on the back of a flatbed that looked like it had been compacted.

5. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Now that the temperatures are hovering around freezing in my City, the prius's mileage is getting a beating as well. Also, I've been doing short trips (about 10 min) so that is not helping at all. Wait till the spring summer and see how your mileage is doing then before the conclusion that something is wrong with your car! Just my 2 cents.

6. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just drove from Chicago to Arlington VA on oem 15" 42/40 ft/rr psi about 58-60mph with car plus 300 lbs of weight (me and luggage). Temps were 22-32F on dry roads with some sleet/rain and I was seeing 53mpg. 2012 with fresh maintenance preformed.

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

7. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Driving 75+ mph will NEVER give you anything like 50mpg you are expecting also I am sure you had several people in the car .....

Your consolation should be that if you had any other car you would be lower than 30 mpg :)

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When did you set your tire pressures to 35?

Here's a potential multi-whammy when driving at speed in bad conditions:
    - higher drag from difficult winds
    - higher rolling resistance from surface water
    - higher rolling resistance from low temperature reducing tire pressure
    - increased waste from more variation in traffic speed causing excessive braking and acceleration

It could be exacerbated by an aging 12V battery. Given that you live in hot Arizona your 12V won't last a really long time, and people report a failing 12V battery having a deleterious effect on fuel economy due to excessive draw from the traction battery leading to increased running of the engine.

9. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Regular cars are getting more efficient. My wife's 2013 Accord Coupe just got 39 mpg on a 485 mile trip doing 75+. Direct injection 2.4L engine, CVT transmission, regular gas, 0-60 in 7.1 sec.

image.jpg

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My wife's 2010 Prius got 39 MPG doing 80 mph:
    [​IMG]
    It is good to see your wife's MPG approaching 80 mph is coming close to our three year old Prius.

That is fantastic acceleration and so useful! No doubt everyone on the road admires her ability to 'street race':
    [​IMG]
    Which one is her's?

In contrast, my crappy wife's car only gets:
    [​IMG]
    That driving stunt used just 10.9 gallons. So tell you what, let's race:
    • Both cars have a calibrated, fuel flow meter installed
    • Both cars do 30 minutes, warm-up
    • We meet at a track or closed, traffic free, loop
    • The fuel flow meters are reset
    • Both cars drive 25 miles in less than one hour
      • 0.1 gallon penalty for every minute over one hour
    • The car that burns the least amount of fuel wins
    Look, if you think Prius owners are impressed by 0-60 times, you obviously have no clue. As for mileage at 80 mph, are you serious? All you've done is draw attention to how crappy the "2013 Accord Coupe" is:
    • 27/36 - EPA 2.4L, CVT
    • 26/35 - EPA 2.4L, AV-S7
    • 24/34 - EPA 2.4L, manual
    Your wife's car really is a POS, which is perfect considering your trollish post.

Bob Wilson

11. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Read a little Bob, mine was a reply to a blanket statement that said other cars would be under 30 mpg going 75+. Cars are changing. I was pointing out that I got nearly 40mpg in a non-hybrid. No hypermiling, no excuses, no mph charts needed.

I drive a Prius. My wife drives an Accord.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A simple statement about the mileage in the 80 mph range would have been fine. It was the gradis comment about '0-60' time that rubbed me the wrong way because it is so like this Jetta TDI nonsense:

As the speed increases, aerodynamic drag becomes the predominant drag and energy drain. At full power, ordinary gas engines begin to operate in peak thermodynamic efficiency range. I'm OK with that . . . no problem. But this is so out of the ordinary for most of our driving, it doesn't make sense to emphasize this.

Bob Wilson

13. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Performance matters to some people. If the next Prius has more power at the same mpg it will be big news. Not for exhibition of speed purposes, but for situations where more power makes the car less strained up inclines, smoother, quieter.

I pointed out performance, you called my wife's car a POS. Relax a little.

14. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    sorry I should have said "most" or "many other cars" ... not "any" .... still let me say 90% of the cars doing 75+ mph will NOT break 30 mpg

you just had an exception, brand new car .. it is certainly a good news for everyone that car makers started to care for mpg (just see the ads )!! I never understood that sporty shit about accelerate 5 sec and such. Please, driving is not a sport unless you are on the closed race circuit. Sports cars on the road are an oximoron !!! See recent tragic event of fast and furious !! Those cars take you that way to the grave ...

15. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is probably a big one. If the 35PSI was set in Phoenix, which was probably warmer at that time than anywhere else on the trip, then the lower temperatures it experienced would have lowered the pressure even more. 35PSI is already pretty low if MPG is really a priority. I would set it to at least 38PSI, higher if the ride isn't too bad on 17's.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm OK with this too. Better highway mileage is a good thing but they still haven't figured out how to solve the problem of urban mileage performance:
    Source: 2010 Urban Area FAQs - Geography - U.S. Census Bureau
    It is the signature of 'road rage', maximum accelerations and weaving in and out of traffic. We're trying to get home and complicating traffic does no good. Then there is my other pet peeve,"right-lane tailgaters."

I was headed home at 1:30 AM earlier this week on a divided, four lane, cross-town road. Posted 50 mph, I'm in the right lane and I see a pair of following head lights that overtakes me . . . and follows way closer, 3-4 car lengths, than comfortable. The passing lane had been and remained empty the whole time. After a mile, I changed to the empty, left lane, and the tailgater came up and then drove in formation in my blind spot.

So I tap the cruise control down, 3-4 mph, and eventually they stop formation driving and pass me on the right. Once ahead, they resumed their overtaking speed. Waiting until they were as far enough ahead, I pulled back into the right lane. Soon they were over 100 yards away and I resumed 50 mph while they continued to look for someone else to spotlight. So what does this have to do with 0-60 time?

When acceleration means racing to a stop or to close with the rear bumper, it is foolishness and a waste. As for climbing hills, our 2003 Prius, 0-60 in 13 seconds, climbs an 8% grade at just over 90 mph. How fast do we have to climb a hill? What is the requirement?

We know Consumer Reports considers 0-60 time a critical metric while they ignore MPG. So I'm a little cantankerous . . . Ok, maybe a lot . . . but I'm just getting tired of over-powered, inefficient cars touted by car media. But I'll try to be a little more 'gentle' in the future when someone posts a 0-60 time.

Bob Wilson

jhinsc and szgabor like this.