1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discharge rate and how low before Charging?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by EKIM, Jan 21, 2014.

1. EKIM

EKIM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apologies if this information is easily found, but if it is I couldn't find it using the search feature and I sometimes have the patience of a toddler.

(is there a definitive thread or "how to" on here for DIY prius HV battery recharging?)

Broke out the 2 original HV batteries from the cars I have and need to make one "good one" from the 56 available cells/modules (what's the correct term?).

We are (I say "we" but I mean "My friend, Jerry" is) using some 4x Hi Tech charger and he's cycling the first 4 modules (starting furthest from the service plug). Not sure what the discharge and charge rates should be, but those are indeed questions we have as well as how low of a "low" are they to be discharged to before starting the charge cycle?

An interesting observation from a non-technical observer: The modules on the outside edges / ends on both batteries were the worst of the bunch. The pics linked show the voltages as they were found with lower mileage car having been sitting since approximately June of 2013. It's also the one that won't start at all.

Note #1 is furthest from service plug and #28 is closest to service plug in the following images.

342,000 miles original battery
    [​IMG]

226,000 miles original battery (sitting since June 2013 and won't start with battery symbol illuminated in mfd)

[​IMG]

2. EKIM

EKIM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so I was better at searching this morning than I was last night. Perhaps the coffee helped.

I found this thread:Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | Page 2 | PriusChat
    And these numbers:
    I believe we have a discharge setting to a lower voltage and are using lower charge amps as well. I'll confirm later. Hmm.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. EKIM

EKIM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I did actually read those but perhaps not careful enough.

I shared with my friend today that others seem to only be discharging to 6 volts and he said, "I disagree". I think he said he is taking them down to 2.5 volts and says he understands the risk for "inversion" of a cell. Is there argument for or explanation for why they are only to be taken down to 6 and not any lower?

The charge rate he is using is 3 amps.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The discharge level of 2.5 volts is way to low as this only represents a voltage of a little over 0.4 volts per cell assuming that all cells have equal charge. The reason for balancing is the assumption that the cells do not have equal charge and a discharge to that level cold very easily reverse charge any low charge cells. Further it is the gentle over charge that really balances the cells, the discharge being used to exercise the cells and check there capacity improvement. A bottom level of 6 volts per module "1 volt per cell" is the level that is considered complete discharge of nimh cells.
    A charge rate of 3 amps is fine just takes longer than 5 amps but has the advantage of producing less heat as cells within the module reach over charge level.

John (Britprius)

6. EKIM

EKIM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting note, I suppose. the volts have come up to 8-8.5 on the charged cells, but the capacity is decreasing with each cycle. The first batches were only cycled twice. At my request, he cycled the next batch 5 times. My friend informs me that his charger doesn't have a programmable wait time between cycles, so it's D-C D-C D-C back to back. I'll get some numbers and post them up.

Perhaps someone will be able to learn from our folly.

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At 342,000 miles on that battery, I would think that you have squeezed out the cycle limit on the pack already. To get 8-8.5 volts on the modules, and decreasing capacity, would not be encouraging data, as far as long term usage of the resulting pack is concerned. Still, good data to have in the forum. Hope the cells are not getting too warm.