1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disconnect 12v or remove fuse? (help!)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by zebekias, Nov 23, 2015.

1. zebekias

zebekias Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to leave my Auris (same as 3rd gen Prius) in Europe parked for 3-5 months, and unfortunately there is no plug nearby for my ctek battery maintainer.

I can either unplug the 12v battery or remove the (DOME?) fuse.

I can easily unplug the battery. Which post? Negative or positive?

If I completely remove the battery I can put it inside the house and plug it to my ctek maintainer.
    It's a bit of a pain I'd rather avoid.

After a bit of research I noticed a lot of posts suggesting removing the DOME fuse (10A on my car). That's the easiest solution, but is that going to reduce the load to the battery to zero?

I attach three images.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think your best bet is to remove the battery and trickle charge with the ctek in your house. 3 to 5 months will weaken the battery if left sitting in the car even if it is unhooked.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I think the battery would be fine for three months if the negative cable is disconnected (DO disconnect the negative, or if removing the battery disconnect the negative first). At least that's my experience with 12V lead-acid batteries. You will have fun getting access to hook it back up, but if the Auris has a "boost point" under the hood that will allow you to open the hatch (if the Auris battery is back there, if not no problem).

5. zebekias

zebekias Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used 10mm and 12mm wrenches and had the 12v battery out in under 5 minutes. It took me an additional 15 minutes to figure out how to open the rear door from the inside. It's a piece of cake on the Auris, once you know where the latch is. Now the 12v battery will stay happy connected to my Ctek maintainer. I will top off the HV battery via a force charge, just in case.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

bisco likes this.