1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disconnected the EV mode speaker

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by rumpledoll, Mar 10, 2013.

1. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i disconnected mine over a year ago. heheh.

2. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    We're Americans... when something goes wrong, ie. someone gets hit by a car, there's blame to be assigned. Along with that blame, the recipient(s) also gets to pay monetary compensation commensurate to amount of blame assigned.

JMD likes this.
  3. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hmmm... do you guys have an equivalent to our mandatory third party personal injury insurance? As long as my car is registered, as part of which I would have obtained this insurance, if I'm at fault in an accident there is insurance coverage for injuries to anyone other than me (unless I have obtained insurance that covers this too). Coverage also exists if no-one is at fault. Although there's blame to be assigned, it's really just a battle between insurance companies, so they're more likely to settle most cases unless the situation is really questionable.

This said, this is becoming expensive and there's a lot of talk of copying another state that essentially self-insures. Instead of vehicle owners having to go and obtain the insurance, they have a charge that's part of the vehicle registration and that scheme then covers support for any injuries suffered in transport accidents. Under that scheme the issue of fault is mostly irrelevant and a whole bunch of legal process simply disappears, saving a lot of time and money.

I guess this isn't very capitalist though, but may explain why we don't get artificial noise makers. :)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can never have enough insurance for the american legal system. "of the lawyers, by the lawyers, for the lawyers."

RocMills likes this.
  5. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Rob, your system makes more sense. Our worker's compensation process is something like that- no fault, just compensation. The courts got sick of the lawsuits, so the workers gave up a bit on the high-side damages, and the businesses gave up arguing over who's at fault.

6. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That is pretty much the same as the system in Quebec. The government pays all bodily injury claims and the insurers pay the property damage claims on a no fault basis. No legal weazles involved. The amount of the payout on the injuries is on a schedule basis much the same as workmen's compensation. When I lived in Quebec I paid about $285 a year for registration and about $85 every 2 years for my drivers liscense+ about $450 a year for the auto insurance. Now here in British Columbia I pay about $1,300 a year for the government run insurance and I have never had an accident in my life. What a rip off

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't wait till every car has a customized ring tone so no one can risk our lives with quiet cars anymore...

8. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think pedestrians should be equipped with some type of noise maker, so we can hear them before they try to step out in front of a moving car!!:)

9. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Make 'em wear strobe light hats. I'm sure the lawyers can make it happen. :)

10. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    so how do i disconnect it? pics please

11. Image Group

Image Group Bounding Overwatch to Grandmothers house we go!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I've only owned my Prius for about a month now and I have no clue what you guys/gals are referring to. Can you fill in a newby please. I'm not an attorney either but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Oh it's a 2012 C-1

12. Image Group

Image Group Bounding Overwatch to Grandmothers house we go!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I'm guessing this has something to do with this thread but I'm still in the dark about the noise itself.

Washington — Major automakers say the Obama administration's "quiet cars" rule to help blind pedestrians avoid electric vehicles and other nearly silent vehicles would result in warning sounds that are too loud.

Two trade groups representing Detroit's Big Three automakers, Toyota Motor Corp., Volkswagen AG and other major Asian and European automakers raised serious concerns about the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's proposed rules mandating minimum sound levels to warn the visually impaired as well as bicyclists.

The rule "is too complicated and is unnecessarily prescriptive. If implemented as proposed, it would result in alert sounds that are louder than necessary, create driver and occupant annoyance and cost more than necessary," said the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and Association of Global Automakers in joint written comments to NHTSA filed late Friday.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I had to have a stupid noise making thing on my car because it is assumed that blind people cant hear tyre noise, then it would have to sound like the Jetson's car!!

14. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
  15. Tunatamer

Tunatamer New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Some people need to lighten up the people for the speaker remind me of Harley owners saying loud pipes save lives. Safe aware non distracted driving saves lives. Electronic "smart, and dumb" phones have been the cause of more accidents than my Prius C going down the road at 24 to 39 mph in EV operation. First mod for me, I'm ripping it out.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are several threads here detailing how to remove it or add an on/off switch.

17. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    remember folks, the speaker only works until 15mph.. any faster, and it's not operating anyway... so... if you're going 16-45mph with the ICE off.. eh.. regardless of how much noise, or lack thereof the car makes.. if a pedestrian is going to walk in front of your car.. they're screwed anyway... and at that point, are probably suicidal.

Rob.au and fourenty like this.
  18. Ryan Case

Ryan Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Given this news, I am awaiting the next Ricey mod to show up on eBay (search turbo sound exhaust tips).

Small block ford with cam sound mod for your pc , lol

19. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    if the sound were louder and more "special", I'm sure it would attract more attention and thus, serve its purpose.

20. cyeremian

cyeremian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I kinda like it. Sounds like a hovering space ship or something.