1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disconnected wire?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PA Prius, May 17, 2017.

1. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I happened to look under the flap that covers the gap when the rear seat back is folded down and saw this wire and casing. Any ideas what it is from? The other end is connected to something down there somewhere?
    IMG_8105.JPG

2. MattStevenson

MattStevenson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Used purchase? Probably for an aftermarket stereo system. Subwoofers most likely.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tracksyde and PA Prius like this.
  3. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, I got it used a month or two ago. As you know, the Advanced already has a decent stereo, but you might be right. Anything I can do to test to see where they are coming from? Are you thinking these are the stereo wires or the power wires to the subwoofer (Is that how they work)?

4. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agreed, a subwoofer or amp seems most likely, but just to be safe I would want to put a meter across the leads and check for voltage under every conceivable condition, including engine running, accessory only, radio on, car off, lights and, of course, while charging. It would be a shame if it was from the blower fan right there. The jacket/tube around the wire suggests that it could be Toyota's wire. Can you find where it splits off from a bigger harness?

PA Prius likes this.
  5. MattStevenson

MattStevenson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    They are probably disconnected RCAs.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I put a meter on the wires this evening and couldn't get any reading, but am realizing now I missed some of the scenarios suggested— lights on and engine running.

I also found this gizmo in the pocket in back of the passenger seat. Does it give any more clues? It looks like something radio-related, but I don't know what.
    IMG_8110.JPG IMG_8111.JPG

7. Imaginex20

Imaginex20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep. That knob confirmed it. Those wires were for a subwoofer setup that the previous owner had. The knob is a bass control for the amplifier

PA Prius likes this.