1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I never mentioned Troy by name. I just said "another Dealer" The girl I was talking to already knew about PriusChat, but not from me. I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that. I used Troy's name here so I wouldn't be talking about guy1, guy2 and girl. You might note also that I did not use my Dealership name or the name of the people I talked to in the posting here. I only used Troy's name here because we all know and love him already.

My whole point is that I would like some help and clarification when dealing with my dealership. I want to buy Troy's Warranty, but I just need to be sure I'm not wasting my time.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your dealer is flat out wrong. This is not a case of what your dealer will cover vs what Troy's dealership would cover - you're talking apples and apples because they are both Toyota warranties. THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME THING (provided the one from your dealer is the Toyota Financial Services one).

Your dealer wouldn't know the difference between the warranty if it was bought from them or from Joe Bob in Alabama - the TFS warranty is the TFS warranty is the TFS warranty.

This is why I hate dealerships and why I'm so glad we're able to offer the service contracts so cheap to our members.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(engunneer\";p=\"92805)</div>
    Perhaps so. But you also asked Troy to call your dealer, did you not?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(engunneer\";p=\"92761)</div>
    :roll:

4. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    A simple "No, he can't call your dealer, please read X" would have sufficed.

Due to the nature of the english language, my question could be read to mean "Are you able to call" or "Will you call". I meant the former.

I'm not giving them a chance to price match. I just wanted them to tell me if my existing warranty was cancelled or not.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contr

Engunneer,

Please check your private message box, I left you a reply there earlier and notice that you haven't read it yet.

6. 4peace.choice.equality

Did I do the right thing?

OK- So I just bought my new Prius last week, and bought the Extended warranty- 6 yrs, 75,000 miles for $900. Then learned about this website and see that I paid too much for too little. I called the dealership to cancel my warranty and they said they would match the 7 yr/100,00 mile plan for the $900. So I said OK. Does that sound alright? I also got the complete prepaid maintenance plan 3 yrs/40,000 miles for $450. What do ya'll think? Thanks, Lisa

7. ANTEBUS

ANTEBUS New Member

I HAVEN'T PICKED UP MY PRIUS YET ,BUT T WANT THE WARRENTY...CAN I PURCHASE IT ON A MONTHLY BASIS LIKE I CAN THRU THE DEALERSHIP? HOW DO I ORDER IT THRU PRIUSCHAT.COM?

8. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

I'm getting the prepaid maintenance plan for $523 and it lasts til 45,000 miles and includes a lot of stuff that is not required under warranty but are good ideas, allignments and such. To compare would be difficult but I have compared and compared to be sure. I even went to another dealer who said it was a no-brainer. Troy's plan in this group is a lot better in my opinion and I have also looked at that long and hard. You can have the plan you signed up for credited by the dealer and I would suggest that. Just treat it like a simple transaction. Deep Throat at my dealer told me that Troy's was better and they offered one similar to the one you got. By the way, he did not know it came from Troy, only that it was TFS. Even if he did know, after all, he is Deep Throat.

9. peter_trance

peter_trance New Member

Does this warrenty also cover my air conditioning, I bought my 2001
    Prius a year ago from a dealer in North Hollywood not knowing that the air was broken.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, it would cover the A/C. However, your car has to be within the original factory 3/36K warranty period to be eligible to purchase it, and in that case your A/C would still be covered by the factory warranty as well.

So unless there is an existing policy you either already have, or that can be transferred to you, that repair will most likely be at your expense. Sorry.

11. hab

hab New Member

Hey Troy,

I just purchased a Prius pkg#5 from a dealer in Brooklyn NY. When it came time to go through the paperwork and sign for the warranty, they tried getting me for $2200 for the 7/100,000 aka the "Platinum". I told them that I was able to get that for around $950. Right away, the salesman said something to the effect of "we know who he is, and he won't be in business much longer.. we know he's in Mass." He went further to tell me that if I did not purchase the Platinum warranty THAT day, I would not be able to get it later. Only the Gold would be available. Smelled like BS, but he dropped price to $1650 and I knew that I could cancel to go with yours once I investigated further.

Is the Platinum designation something that is used by all dealers, or was this something local? The dealership was honest all through the procedure, so I'm a bit weary of completely not believing them. Would you be able to shed some insight onto what you think is happening here?

Thanks

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hab,

He was trying to get you to make an on-the-spot decision, the Platinum plan is Toyota Financials best service plan, and the only one the Prius is eligible for. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't sell you a Gold plan on it.

Take a look at Toyota's own website:

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/extende...ge/n_index.html

13. hab

hab New Member

Thanks a lot Troy. I'm not inept, just going through a job change, house purchase/move... so many things going on. It's great that there are people like yourself on this forum that help others so much. I'm going to cancel with them and drop you a line. Have a good weekend.

-hab

14. mlott

mlott Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hello,
    This is my first post. I have been very happy with my Silver 2005 Prius.
    I just recieved my paperwork for the Platinum Extra Care warranty in the
    mail. I would like to thank Troy for offering the warranty at a reasonable
    price of $985. My dealer here in New Orleans had quoted me a price of
    nearly $1,500.

I hope that I never have to use the warranty - however I have one question.
    The paperwork mentions that I have to contact the selling dealer before
    warranty work can be done. Please explain how this works.

Michael
    :)

15. matrum

matrum New Member

I posted a month ago, here's a recap and update.

I went to the dealer to test drive a camry again and a new prius was sitting there. the guy who ordered it decided he wanted a scion instead.
    He just got there, i talked to him.

I went home to get my girlfriend 8 1/2 months pregnant and my 3 year old autistic son. After waiting more than 2 hours for an "available finance manager, we just signed everything without reading. Elaine was tired, and my son was running around the store like a maniac. it was 9:30 pm.

after all said and done, we signed a 6yr/75k extra care for $2200, extra care for $425, Gap for $595, and tire service for $395. I eventually cancelled all of them.

I am so mad that I had to finance $3600 for a month of
    stuff that I didn't want. I also got taxed on the
    tire service. plus $50 in cancellation fees. I wrote
    the finance manager a nasty fax and confronted him
    when I went to pick up the plates. He said that he
    disclosed everything and that I had to wait for the
    paperwork to come in the mail. I cancelled directly
    through toyota financial. good thing too. I got the
    paperwork 31 days after the purchase. will this
    monster still get commision from my deal, with all the
    cancellations?

I just don't understand how someone can take advantage of a pregnant woman, hadicapped child and me, with bad credit (former bankruptcy).

16. VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just for peace of mind, has anyone who lives in the Southeast Toyota Distributors region (MS, AL, GA, SC, NC) purchased a contract from Troy?

If so, have you used it at a SE dealership?

Any resistance or trouble?

I certainly don't want to plunk down $1000 and have a useless contract in the SE.

(I really dislike the SE distributor cartel.)

17. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

:D Hello all, walked into a dealer Thursday night and bought a Prius off the lot. It had 26 miles on it. The price was sticker and no haggling. I guess this is pretty rare. I agreed to buy an overpriced extended warranty for 1799.00 and a prepaid service contract for 899.00. When I came home, I checked on the web for information. Yes, I always do my homework after it's due! I instantly found this site.
    I called the dealer at 7 AM Friday and said we needed to talk. I presented the info from this site and, to my dealers credit, they agreed to rewrite the contract and match the prices shown here. THIS SITE SAVED ME 1000.00!!

Thanks a bunch you guys and keep up the great work. I am now a member and I will be posting frequently. I drove the car yesterday about a hundred miles and my mileage computer is saying that I got about 51 MPG.I could not be happier. My wife wants leather seats and the dealer has agreed to get them recovered in leather through an independant shop for an up charge.

Thanks Again , Paul R. Haller #3, alarm system, metalic red, matts

18. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul R. Haller\";p=\"98076)</div>
    Did it ever enter your mind that you could have purchased the warranty from the person that is offering us this wonderful deal? :cussing:

Did it ever enter your mind that you could be causing problems for the dealer that is offering this warranty. If enough people act as you did, and unfortunately many are, you could be contributing to shutting down this great deal being offered to us.

:guns: USE YOUR HEAD MAN!

19. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Popoff, I guess your name denotes your personality. I will not apologise for my actions but you ,Sir, should. I did not name the dealer that's offering the contract at reduded rates I only asked that they match it... and if my dealer did not I would have used the offers presented here. That's called shopping around and the last time I looked, it's not only encouraged but expected. I actually called Troy and talked with him. It may surprise you to know that it was he who suggested trying to get my dealer to match his price. This site is public knowledge. Anyone, unfortunatly, can access it and does including people like yourself.

I do not appritiate your personal attack nor your tone. I may be a newbe to this site but I have posted on other sites for years and have yet to encounter this level of hostility. I will only ask that you refrain from your Popping off like this on future posts and from now on please sign your name to your posts, especially those that are inflamatory, or is it you like casting stones annonymously?!?
    Paul R. Haller

20. hab

hab New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul R. Haller\";p=\"98108)</div>
    Paul, you've been posting online for years and this is the worst you've seen? Please tell me where you've been hanging out, I need some good websites for children (PG, or G rated sites)... I'm putting together a list!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.