1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think it is wise to follow the advice of windstrings however what Troy is doing is hardly a secret.

My experience may be helpful. I told my dealer that "another Toyota dealer out of state" was offering an extended warranty at $xxx. My dealer could meet the price, but I was quite happy to purchase the policy from the other dealer. My dealer volunteered to meet the price. I would have purchased from my dealer but the sales tax in my state made the difference. Troy came through just fine. A call to Toyota Financial confirmed that. All you need to know about contacting him is in a previous post.

Enjoy your extended warranty!

2. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<<<I did call Toyota to find out the details and was told that it is possible (though unlikely) that a dealership could choose not to honor the extended warranty bought from another dealership>>>

This obviously concerns me (and others). Anyone know for sure if a dealer most honor the warranty from another dealer?

3. allidavie

allidavie New Member

I had planned on purchasing the extended warranty from Troy, but today when I went to pick up my new Prius (Silver #7) I was offered the extended warranty at $1300 and at that price was given the prepaid maintenance plan (classic, not premium) for free - they claimed this was a special offer that ended today. I had a great experience with my dealer (Parkway Toyota in NJ... yup I'm in Florida but bought up here to escape dreaded SE Toyota) so I accepted the offer (plus I figured I could accept it now before the deadline but could cancel it if necessary). So whaddaya think? The only comparison I could make to Troy's offer is for the prepaid premium maintenance plan...

4. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

I dealt with Troy this morning. I am pleased with the result. I am going to cancel my Platinum Ext Warr with my dealer (Priced at $2200) and take Troy's. My only question now is "what is Prepaid Premium Maintenance plan and do the dealer offer it?

5. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Ive sold a lot of Platinum warranty's on this site and I don't want everybody to think Troy is the only person to offer the plan here. Remember mine is only $xxxx.00 for the 7 year 100,000 zero ded. Thanks xxxx
    [snapback]201819[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

$xxxx, $xxxx...whatever I'm just thankful both you and Troy can step in and help us all out. So in behalf of this membership let me say thank you. Roger3125

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $xxxx, $xxxx...whatever I'm just thankful both you and Troy can step in and help us all out. So in behalf of this membership let me say thank you. Roger3125
    [snapback]201971[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

xxxx's post was deleted. Please be aware that he's not a site sponsor though I've given him Danny's contact information and hopefully he will become a sponsor if he'd like to sell "a lot" of warranties on the site.

7. Tony Wright

Tony Wright New Member

Tony's post was deleted. Please be aware that he's not a site sponsor though I've given him Danny's contact information and hopefully he will become a sponsor if he'd like to sell "a lot" of warranties on the site.
    [snapback]202710[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

I have e-mailed Danny and I look forward to becoming a sponsor for the site. It's a pleasure to help on the site and with all the Prius owners. Ive dealt with a lot of people from the site and I must say I have nothing but good things to say about the members of these forums. Thank you
    Tony Wright
    Crown Toyota Lawrence Ks.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    OK,
    So we all have our little extended warranties now. Anybody have to actually USE their extended warranty? I've heard that it can take an act of congress to get Toyota to honor after market warranties.
    gary

9. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Done deal! I cancelled the less than month old agreement I purchased from my dealer (for a whopping $2200) and got, instead Troy's same for, as you know far far less. Notice they are both the same deal, same Platinum Warranty with the exact same coverage and it is NOT a third party warranty. Its theToyota Warranty.

I should receive the actual paperwork soon and it well then cinfirm this to all.

Roger
    So CA

10. bjellow

bjellow New Member

But . . . has anyone actually had trouble and had to make a claim? How well does the system work?

11. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

A point well made. Any 2001-2003 owners out there that have used their extended warranty???

12. davek

davek New Member

A little late but yeah, me too.

Good experience, this guy is on the ball!

........D

13. StanfordInBlack

StanfordInBlack New Member

I took delivery of my Black package 6 last Friday from City Toyota in San Francisco. Although I knew about PriusChat, I hadn't dug through all the pages to find out about the warranty info - the purchase was a bit spontaneous. I placed an order on Wednesday expecting it to take a few months but then spotted mine online (a cancelled order) on Thursday and collected it Friday morning. So I wasn't prepared for the very hard sell they gave me on the warranty and maintenance plans. They wanted $995 for the maintenance and $2200 for the warranty.

When they could see I was undecided they asked if I was a Costco member (!) and then offered the warranty at the discounted price of $1650 - which I now discover is the basic price. They also insisted that I could not defer the decision on either plan, telling me that both plans had to be included on the paperwork they submit to Toyota to register the sale. They thus insisted I make a yes/no decision on the spot.

I only made a half payment on the car and have to go back tomorrow to complete the payment so, after a lot more debate, we agreed they would list both plans on my documents but that I could cancel them when I complete the payment.

After reading PriusChat more carefully I can see I was being duped. It's obviously a nice way to get a little more profit out of a car that the general car-buying public feels may be "difficult" to maintain and repair.

Included in their dismissal of the possibility of signing up for the extended warranty at a later date - even one week later - they said that the car would have to undergo a thorough inspection to make sure nothing was wrong with it, and that I would have to pay for the inspection and possibly a higher warranty premium. Sounded like bull at the time, but I had no way to dispute it.

Completely adore the car, but the Toyota sales pitch truly sucked.
    I've just emailed to see if I can cancel both plans and sign up for the ones from this list.

14. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

You came to the right place at the right time. I'm sure you'll hear from others but from my expereince...

I bought my Prius Jan 8th and although it was a soft sell I went for the Platinum Warranty for $2200. After joining this group I found I was way overpriced. You as did I have 30 days to cancel AT NO COST, $25 fee if you cancel between now and the end of 3 years. You have to cancell in writing which I did and bought the SAME warranty from Troy via this group.

if you had the cost added to your loan, as I had, it will remain there but Toyota upon you cancelling will either send you a refund or notify your bank and then it is their choice how to reimburse you.

I was not offered the maintenance Agreement. Know nothing about it. Can you tell me what it offers. If you have any further questions post it here. This is where you will find HONEST answers to your questions. By the way, you are the first time I'd heard of any Prius buyer who felt they had a hard sale.

I'd find another Toytota dealer to deal with. if it were me I'd also notify Toyota Corp.

Happy trails

15. infohwyguy

infohwyguy New Member

I gave Troy my credit card information today; $990 for the 7yr/100,000 plan. The lowest my dealer would go is $1250. Again, this is the Toyota warranty which means any Toyota dealer will be able to see it when they bring up my VIN on their computer. I would be very firm with these guys and let them know in no uncertain terms (instead of merely asking) that you DO NOT want their warranty at all. They've already gone way over the top by indicating you'd need an inspection before selling you a warranty later; they're obviously very dishonest. If they tell you that you cannot cancel, again, they're being extremely dishonest by attempting to intimidate you into not canceling. They have no legal grounds to force you into paying for or purchasing their warranty, even without the cancelation clause. Your 3 year/36,000 warranty covers you for now. The extended warranty doesn't even kick in until the initial 3 year warranty expires, so a required inspection makes absolutely no sense.

If I were in this situation, I would have canceled the whole deal by now and gone with another dealer due to their unethical business practices.

Rick S

16. StanfordInBlack

StanfordInBlack New Member

Well, you'll be pleased to know that Troy lived up to his reputation and very quickly sent me an incredibly detailed note with the full details of his plans. Nice guy. I'll be calling him just as soon as I cancel the deal with the local crew.

I also called the Toyota Financial Services people to check on some of the bizarre comments from my dealership, and they quickly refuted the dealership's claims. They recommended I call Toyota Customer Services to report the dealer. I was also able to verify what several people have queried on this chat: all the plans come from Toyota and are all valid at any dealership, and you cannot be denied service.

As for walking away from the deal... what do you do when the beautiful black machine is right in front of you 24 hours after you decided to buy it - especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, where dealers "officially" have a wait list of five months? The people at the dealership seemed really nice, and definitely treated me well. It was the hard after-sell from the "finance manager" that soured it for me. The sales guys even offered to detail the car again when I come back in to make the second payment. Fortunately there are about ten other dealerships I can go to for regular services.

And I've been averaging 55 mpg on my 35 mile freeway commute - yes, a careful driver.

Alan

17. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many of our members are getting swindled...over the price of the Toyota Extended Service Contract. PriusChat is proud to announce that for a price of $990.

...you can buy it as long as you are within the original warranty period - 3 years, 36k miles.

*Bought your car used? You are eligible for http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/extende...vice_coverage...

We bought a Prius TRAC car with 2582 miles. Dealer sold use 0/7/100000 for $1495. Said we couldn't wait. Said it normally sells for $2500. Dealer checked "new vehicle". Also entered used certified vehicle number 001827280. Checked "Platinum", not "Certified Platinum".

We'd like to cancel and save $500. Better yet cancel and buy the warrantee three years form now.

Is our car offcially new or used?

Slao: If new, how can get the $3150 tax credit? What specific letter should the dealer write?

18. Thalion

Thalion New Member

If I buy a Prius which is used, can I still purchase the Extended Warranty, assuming the vehicle mileage is under 36,000?

19. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yep, and/or 3 years

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this special warranty deal apply for Prius/Priuses/Prii outside of the US?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.