1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's really a great thing for you to say, Dave. It really means a lot to hear feedback like that. I am sure that the mods will agree with me when I say that it is members like you that make this an easy & enjoyable site to maintain on a day-to-day basis.

Thanks to all.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well thank you sir. it was one of the most effortless and enjoyable things ive typed in a long time.

3. elph

elph New Member

My dealer in Ann Arbor, MI wants $1400 or so for the 7/100.

I'd be interested in a group buy, or whatever you are thinking of doing to get us a lower cost.

4. billo

billo Junior Member

Howdy,
    For everyone's information, I traded in my wife's car, a 2002 Saturn SL2, which we had owned for 2 1/2 years, when we purchsed the second 2004 Toyota Prius for my wife. Her car had 18,130 miles on it. We also had purchased the longest extended service plan offered by Saturn, which was a 6 year, 100,000 mile, $0.00 deductible. The cost when we bought the Saturn Service Plan was $1935.00 through the dealer. When we traded in the Saturn, we cancelled the extended service plan, with 3 1/2 years remaining on the plan, and got a $1077.95 refund check for the prorated portion of the extended warranty cancellation. With that money, we purchsed the 7 year extended warranty, 100,000 miles, $0.00 deductible, from Troy, at $985.00 and still had almost a $100.00 after the cancellation of the Saturn extended Service plan, and applying the money to the Toyota Service Plan. Considering the new technology, the many expensive computer components, etc on the 2004 Prius, not to mention that it is the first year for the Second Generation Hybrid with Synergy Drive; I think $985.00 is an excellent value, and a very worthwhile purchase considering the high end cost of some of the 2004 Prius components.

Best of luck to all,

--Billo--
    San Diego, CA
    2004 Millenium Silver Prius, Pkg 9
    2004 Millenium Silver Prius, Pkg 8

5. DrSpiffy

DrSpiffy New Member

Hard to compare prices with different terms.

Today, when I picked up my Prius I was offered 6 yr/75K/0 for $780 (Plus 6% tax.) That seems like a reasonable price, though a little shorter than what people are typically talking about here.

6. obiwan

obiwan New Member

Houston - West, near Westheimer and Beltway
    Any word on how close we are to this?

OUr Prius is due is two weeks and I want to have something to reply to our rales person when he brings up the extended warranty.

:idea:

7. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    no worries. you can buy the extended warranty anytime within the 3 year warranty period, just tell him you'll be doing that, unless he can match the price of other dealerships. :wink:

8. thockin

thockin New Member

How about "no thanks". :)

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The price will be $985 for the Toyota 7/100/$0 plan - I can get other prices for you all if you are interested.

We are also establishing a partnership with www.WarrantyDirect.com for our members to be able to get $75 (don't quote me on this, I don't have my documentation in front of me) off of the price WarrantyDirect quotes you.

I will have much more details in a few days after I uncover my computer from all of the moving boxes and get it fired up so I have my Outlook back up.

10. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny,
    Thanks for checking into this. I would be interested in the 6/100/$0 plan.

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    6/100/$0 is more my speed, since it'll be about 5.2 before I get to 100...

12. ebcain

ebcain New Member

Extended

I just picked up my new 04 pkg #9 Prius and did not know about the extended warranty pkg and paid full price for mine. $2132.00. OH WELL.
    Live and learn.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it is still refundable and prorated for what you dont use.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Extended

If you're within the 30 day mark take it back and ask for a full refund...This is not an "oh well" thing, they marked up the MSRP by about $500 and now you can save almost $1200!! That'll pay for your first few years of gas in your Prius for goodness sakes. They are required to refund in the first 30 days if you ask!

15. Puzzler1

Puzzler1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm a low mileage driver. I would want the 7/75/$0 plan.

As always, thanks so much Danny for this opportunity and the great site!!

Terry

16. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    that's a great price and i'm interested! they're offering that here for almost $1800.

17. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Danny,

A suggestion. Scrolling through an ever lengthening thread to pick out the posts that contain the details of the warranty plans and costs is tedious. How about editing the first post in the thread and summarize the plans offered and the cost for each. This could apply to several threads where PC has linked up with a sponsor to offer goods and services.

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good idea - I've updated the OP with the information listed above. As soon as I get concrete details I will post them in the original post as well as respond to it.

19. Zach

Zach New Member

New vs. Certified used

Greetings group,
    It seems that my name, too, can be added to the growing list of snookered new Prius owners. When I questioned my dealer about what I read on this group,
    the dealer drew a distinction between New and Certified Used warranties, and said that New-car warranties can be purchased only when paying for the car itself (the day of the sale). If I walked out of the dealership without the warranty and came back the next day, I would have to buy a Certified used warranty. Although less expensive, the latter would require my Prius to be certified, which runs a couple of grand, sort of a catch 22.

No mention of this distinction is made in any of the posts I have read, so at this point I am more than confused. I would appreciate clarification, as well as hearing from those who have bought warranties from other dealerships after canceling their first, over-priced, one. Thanks.

:roll:

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: New vs. Certified used

I hate to call the dealer a liar, but he's a liar...or seriously misinformed. The price on the one here is for the EXACT SAME WARRANTY he's ripping you off for. Tell him to give you the same price (or whatever you feel is fair) or refund the warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.