1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Junior Member

I also received my discounted 7year/75,000 extended warranty today. Troy made it very easy to order from him. I just sent him a copy of my title. He did all the paper work very quickly. My Prius was just 2 years old last week and I figured now was the time.

Thank you Troy for saving me $$$$
    Mary Lou

2. claypot2

claypot2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just purchased my brand new Prius today and I just found this site tonight. The problem is I bought the extended service contract offered by the Toyota dealer. I live in Miami and what I bought is a Tender Loving Care Mechanical Failure Service Contract that covers 7/100,000 with no deductible, I paid $1841.00 (choke). So now I'm reading about buying a service contract but because I live in FL I would have to purchase one that the dealers in my state don't offer. Has anyone ever had trouble getting extended warranty work done in the excluded states? I would like to cancel my contract if I can get similar coverage for $990. I put in a quote request with Warranty Shack. Will I have to pay out of pocket to get my car serviced if I have the Toyota extended warranty? And, do the dealers in FL provide warranty work to holders of a policy that can't be bought in the state? Also, if anyone knows, is the coverage significantly different. I tried to use the Toyota website but I can't get the component comparison feature to work to see what is covered and what is excluded. :(

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A few quick notes about WarrantyShack:
    • WarrantyShack is a site I set-up to make it easier for members to request a price quote for the extended warranties.
    • When you submit a quote request through WarrantyShack, you are submitting a quote request to Troy. Same thing as giving him a call or dropping him an email, but this way its easier for Troy and I to track and follow-up on requests.
    • WarrantyShack does not have a Privacy Statement up - yet. This is on my list of things to do. But, please be assured that, just like with PriusChat, your information will never be used for anything outside of the site without your permission. For instance, I do provide 3rd party warranty quotes for people who check that box, but I only share your information with the 3rd party if you select "Yes" on the form.
    • WarrantyShack will soon be expanding to offer warranties for other models of cars such as Lexus, Scion, Ford, VW, etc. Right now the focus is on the Toyota part of the site since that's what the good people on PriusChat needed.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Sep 5 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]314671[/snapback]</div>

OK. I gave it a shot and filled out the form.

(How do you like Drupal?)

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i also filled it out... it's time to start thinking about the EW. looks nice so far, Danny. ;)

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I live about 40 minutes from the closest dealer.... How will my mileage be confirmed to "not be over" 36K miles?

I don't want to ride it to the wire and then run over.

7. ejans

ejans New Member

[
    That's great news but my 2002 classic is over 100,000 miles the only problem was a stupid service tech.
    at a certified Toy dealer. Looks like you fit into that group by offering me an extended warranty.
    Thanks for the SPAM captne :mellow: :p

quote name='Danny' date='Jul 8 2004, 03:30 PM' post='25940']
    http://www.warrantyshack.com/quotes/toyota/</a>

Soon we will have a way for you to contact a warranty rep directly through WarrantyShack.com so that you can feel free to ask any questions you may have, plus we'll have a Toyota representative will be available to answer your questions.

A quick note from PriusChat concerning using our offer as a way to "pricematch" with your dealer. Basically, please refrain from doing so. Telling your dealer about this offer could lead to higher prices in the very near future or completely pulling the deal from this site. Please read the message from Troy, our PriusChat Warranty Rep, below:

"...If anyone feels that they simply must give their dealer the chance to price match, at the very least, give us the courtesy of keeping us anonymous so you don't ruin it for everyone. Just tell them you have gotten a better price at another dealer, and leave it at that. Don't give them a copy of this thread or one of my emails with all the info they need to go crying to their factory reps about how much money they lost because of us."

[/quote]
    :p

8. reefrats

reefrats New Member

OK - so my new Prius silver pkg #4 is coming in next week and Earl Stewart Toyota of North Palm Beach FLORIDA is quoting me $980 for a 4 year 100,000 mile Liberty Protection Plan platinum warranty. The 4 year part is because I drive 25,000 miles a year... My last car was a Honda Passport, purchased 1 year old and I bought the Honda extended warranty and it was incredible! EVERYTHING was covered - no arguements. Based on that, I am inclined to purchase a Toyota extended warranty - but am confused about this "Florida" exclusion. I have read this thread and see that some appear to have found Toyota dealers that will not accept the Toyota warranty. Is the warranty from Warranty Shack the real Toyota warranty? Has anyone purchased and/or used either the Warranty Shack or the Liberty Protection Plan warranty in southeast Florida? Any suggestions or feedback???

Please help...

Also... I looked at the prepaid service plan from Earl Stewart and the Prius owners manual required maintenance. It appears that the Earl Stewart recommendations are for much more service than the manual requires. The prepaid service plan was $659. The Prius manual recommended service at Earl Stewart's prices comes out to $372 and if I priced out everything covered from the pre-paid service plan it comes to $696. I don't see much advantage to pre-pay to save $37. But I do see the advantage of purchasing the car from Earl Stewart with no dealer fees because King Toyota was charging $6,000 for the hell of it, plus Toyo guard, 6 gallons of gas, etc. etc. etc... Are others following the maintenance schedule in the owners manual - or doing extra service as scheduled by the dealer???

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(reefrats @ Sep 19 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]321997[/snapback]</div>
    The answers to your questions have already been posted in this message by Troy and this one by Danny.

10. FloridaShark

FloridaShark Member

Just got my confirmation from Troy that my Platinum Extended Warranty is on its way from Toyota. I used the Warranty Shack site that has been set up here and that made it even easier. Thanks to Troy and Danny for making my purchase painless for a Southeast State Toyota buyer.
    Nothing like the genuine Toyota product, which I can't purchase here.
    Thanks Again.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmmm. i put in a quote request through warranty shack 20 days ago and have yet to hear anything back!

12. TOG

TOG Silver Business Sponsor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 25 2006, 04:49 PM) [snapback]324885[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't get it. I searched my inbox based on the username "galaxee" and came up blank. Somehow it must not have made it to me...or you didn't provide your PriusChat username when you filled out the form. I try and reply to all quote requests immediately if it's sent during normal working hours (M-F, 9am-5pm ET), otherwise in the morning of the following business day.

Try again, but FYI - I will be out of the office tomorrow. So if you send it later tonight, you won't get a reply until Weds morning....I just didn't want you to think "Here we go again" if you don't get a quick reply tonight.

Troy

Or call me! I will be here for another 20 minutes (its 5:07pm right now). My direct line is (413) 772-0989.

13. kenarora

kenarora New Member

Hi all,

After lurking here for a couple of months, I jumped in and just took delivery of my new Prius todat (Touring, NorCal Pkg A, Silver). The dealer was anxious to sell the extra care and prepaid maintenance plans, though at a much higher price than what Troy and PriusChat have been offering. When I declined, they gave a story about, if I were going to buy anywhere outside of California, then I would have trouble getting "full coverage" if my primary residence state weren't California.

I suspect this is a bunch of FUD (like the story about "if I don't buy the warranty today, I can't buy it later), but the contracts he showed me were titled:
    "Toyota Auto Care Prepaid Maintenance Program Application (For use in California only)"
    and
    "Toyota Extra Care Vehicle Service Agreement Application - California"

The fact that both have "California" in the title adds some credibility to a claim that there may
    be some state (or region) specific clauses/limitations. Of course, it still sounds pretty fishy to
    me.

Has anyone else heard this? Has anyone tried to use a extended service contract written up
    in a different state for service in California?

Thanks for all the help. This is great resource for all us new Prius owners.

--ken

14. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I just read through all 33 pages of this thread and couldn't find a definitive answer for my question, so:

Can the Toyota Auto Care maintenance contract be cancelled if we already bought it from the dealer?

We just bought our car yesterday (got under the wire for the September 30th tax credit deadline) and bought the maintenance contract for the full MSRP of $1355 <_< . THEN I read this thread (stupid me. I've been lurking for the past month and somehow missed all of this great information). Now I'd like to cancel the contract and get it through Troy, but I just want to make sure of whether the one we bought from the dealer can be cancelled and how to go about doing it (we rolled it into the financing of the car).

Thanks,

Vince

15. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 1 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]326470[/snapback]</div>
    Give Troy a call:

Troy Dietrich
    Toyota of Greenfield
    (413) 772-0231
    (413) 772-0989 (Direct Line)

16. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If I had to guess, since you financed it with the deal, they would give you credit towards your loan, but not money back in your pockets, at least that's how it went for my daughter in IL.

17. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

Can the Toyota Auto Care maintenance contract be cancelled if we already bought it from the dealer?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 1 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]326494[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, if it's the one offered by Toyota. I cancelled the warranty and service contract I bought with my car. Then contacted Troy.
    It must be within 30 days. Returned to the dealer and asked them to cancel. Turned in mid-July. Dealer processed in mid-August (they really drug their feet) :angry: . Checks from Toyota in mid-September. :D

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TOG @ Apr 11 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]238176[/snapback]</div>
    Can you say why the Toyota warranty is not available from dealers in those states?

19. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 2 2006, 04:06 AM) [snapback]326776[/snapback]</div>
    Those states are served by an independent importer/distributor, not Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.

20. kokid

kokid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 1 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]326470[/snapback]</div>
    I just cancelled my Auto Care maintenance contract today. I fell into the same trap as you -- purchased from the dealer (for $1,200) and had it rolled into my auto loan, only to later read this thread. I received the agreement and coupons about 3 weeks after my purchase. I returned the agreement and coupons to the dealer today (no hard feelings) and my loan will be credited by the full amount. My next step is to repurchase at $875 or thereabouts.
    Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.