1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    FLORIDA has some pretty strange rules and laws......... one of which states that EVERY AUTO. DEALER must sell the extended warranty for EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE, no matter which "Florida" Dealer you purchase it from........... we got "zapped" like this when we bought a genuine Acura extended for our new 2003 MDX from a Florida Dealer (Tampa). We were in Connecticut at the time we purchased our new Honda 2004 CR-V EX and bought a genuine (Honda/Acura) extended warranty through that dealer at time of purchase too, but we had some bargaining power and they shaved off over $500 !! Like I said, and anyone here in Florida KNOWS THIS TOO, the ONLY ONE PRICE for a Toyota "Platinum" (7 year / 100K) is $1568 and that's that !! NO BREAKS !! :angry:

2. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

thank you!!!!

you just gotta love the internet! i saved some serious money when we bought our car last night, thanx to this forum and this thread! they had the warranty MSRP at OVER $2000 and acted like offering it for about $1700 was a HUGE discount! :lol: :rolleyes: we just looked at their paper offering that, $600 gap insurance, etc, etc, etc.... and said "no thank you"....

surprisingly though... NO high pressure.... either we got lucky with a good dealership (chosen by virtue of having he color i wanted) or our internet salesmen warned him (we had complained about high pressure salesmen to him)

anyways.... i WILL be buying this warranty, but waiting a bit since i have time.... i'm busy spending money on accessories and mods! lol!

3. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I paid for my extended warranty from Troy on Thursday. I saved $660.00 from what the dealer quoted me!!

Thanks again Troy for offering this to us. :D

4. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am on this like a fly on s**t! I paid $1600 for platinum warranty and nearly $1400 for maintenance. THANKS PRIUS CHAT.

let me count the ways..........<heavy sigh>

5. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought from Troy as well two week ago. He was friendly, courteous, reliable... (Geez, I'm making him out to be a friggin' Boy Scout! Sorry, Troy!)

Let's just say that he delivers as advertized. Can't speak highly enough of the experience. It was painless, quick and now my precious baby, as others before me, is protected for 7 years/100k miles.

Thank you, Troy, for your assistance! You made it easy!

Best to all,

Dan

6. gforeman

gforeman New Member

I purchased no warranty last week when I picked up the car. I may be interested in what is offered here. My problem is I will probably hit the 100k mark at 4 years.

I do have a question though, explain to me the savings in the Toyota Prepaid Maintenance Plans?

At $875 for 55,000 miles that's like $80 every 5k service. I looked at the maintenance schedule, and other than oil changes and rotating tires, there are some inspections only on there.

Are people putting out more that $875 in 55k for 11 services? This seems outrageous to me.

BTW, that is a heck of a deal on the warranty. If I could only get one for 150k I'd be happy :D

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I do have a question.

Do you get a card or something to show you have the Extended Warranty? Or do you just tell them at the dealership and they look it up via your VIN?

8. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    G-Man, you are right. The prepaid maintenance is a waste of money. The extended warranty is a waste of money too. While the local Prius chat guy may be giving you a good price. You would all be better off just putting that money in the bank.

For the prepaid maintenance, there is very little that the dealer will actually do for the first 100k miles. Most items are just inspections. You would be better off just skipping all of the inspections and paying for a few extra air filter changes, cabin filter changes, coolant changes, and transmission fluid changes.

On the other hand (OTOH) if you will only keep your car for 5-7 years, just do oil changes and ignore everything else. Seriously. These cars are pretty much maintenance free. There is not such thing as a "Tune UP" on a modern car.

9. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

winston..... some people want it... it's their money! sheesh! are you the extended warranty nazi?????????????

10. Heason2493

Heason2493 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan-Wolfe @ Jun 7 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]457316[/snapback]</div>
    I too, bought the extended warranty from Troy at Toyota Of Greenfield. It was great and a lot less then the $1495 the orignal dealer wanted. Thanks Troy

11. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ Jun 9 2007, 03:00 AM) [snapback]458571[/snapback]</div>
    ZIG HIEL...........??

12. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ Jun 9 2007, 02:00 AM) [snapback]458571[/snapback]</div>
    I guess so. Don't mean to upset anyone. I am the type to calculate risk vs reward. I have $1k deductables on my auto insurance, and $2k deductables on my homeowners insurance. IMHO extended warranties are waste of money, and I am just spreading my opinion around.

13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Jun 11 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]459760[/snapback]</div>
    Warranties are indeed a big waste of money.....unless you need it!.... then it can be quite sweet concerning a prius... IMO

I have "never" bought an extended warranty on any car before "until now"... the prius is far too advanced and very few shade tree mechanics can be trusted to have a clue as to how to work on it.

My wifes window IC went out and it was 800.00 "under warranty"..... if that tiny little piece cost 800.00..... I shutter to think what something real would cost.....

What you have in your favor if you don't get a warranty is the fact that is Toyota.
    What you have against you if you don't get a warranty is the fact that "everything" and "anything" is stinkin expensive if it needs attention.... not to mention the biggies.

IMO, if you have just "one" issue happen, it will pay for itself.

It would be a harder decision to pay the price most dealers want.

but this is a given.

14. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 11 2007, 11:14 PM) [snapback]459945[/snapback]</div>
    Some people like to gamble, some don't. It is a gamble to buy the warranty, you may never need it, which in of itself is a good thing, meaning you have a very reliable car, but all it takes is one part to fail that cost bookoo bucks, and if you don't have a warranty, you will wish you did, and if you do have the warranty you will be feeling mighty glad you paid a little more for it. For me $726 is a very good peace of mind with the Prius, any other car, well, I wouldn't need it since I can fix it myself, but not this one, too many unknowns under the hood and behind the dash.

15. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Jun 12 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]460165[/snapback]</div>
    The Extended Warranty is more of an added type of "Insurance Policy" IMO, against the high repair costs "out-of-warranty" IF they ever happen, and chances are they will (but hopefully not) !!
    In the state of Florida, with all of it's strange laws, one of them pertains to auto dealers selling extended warranties........ in Florida there can be NO DISCOUNT, that's right, ALL DEALERS MUST SELL AT SAME PRICE !! That means down here if you buy an extended warranty for your Prius, it can be GENUINE Toyota or even a "third party" and still costs $1568 (for Platinum) at any Toyota Dealer.

We paid around $2100 for the 2003 Acura MDX 7 year/100K Extended Warranty back in '03........... luckily we got a "pro-rated refund" directly from Honda (Acura) in California, of the UNUSED "balance" which came to $857 last month. We "traded-in" the MDX to the Toyota Dealer where we bought our new Prius.

When I was Service Manager (many years ago) at a Chrysler Dealership the S.O.B.'s (BOTH Dealer AND Chrysler Corp.) had a warranty issue with a customer that involved replacing a steering rack and some other things, which turned out to be close to $800 !! The regular warranty (HE DID NOT HAVE AN EXTENDED) was ONE DAY, yes ONE DAY EXPIRED......... the S.O.B.'s REFUSED to pay............

At that same time I had a friend that was a Honda mechanic and he told me Honda Corp. often "broke the rules" the opposite way.... a vehicle could be a week, two weeks even in rare cases a month "out-of-warranty" but they still covered the item(s) !!

16. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, an extended warranty is essentially an insurance policy. Based on the research, the profit margin for those warranties is huge. Thus, I "self insure".

17. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Jun 12 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]460165[/snapback]</div>
    I agree... life is much of a gamble.... the whole reason to invest is gambling that you will be alive in the first place to benifit from it later on.

Insurance too is a gamble.... playing the stock market, opening a business... falling in love....

Things that aren't gambles usually aren't worth much because their easy to get.

I can live with an insurance policy that protects me against so much.

Some don't like to gamble.. thats ok...

But on the other hand... sometimes "not" making a choice "is" making a choice!

Maybe there's no escape from gambling.... because "not" getting the warranty may be a bigger gamble... it just doesn't cost you money up front.

18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Dear Hubby used to be an appliance repairman.
    Besides having NOTHING but Maytag appliances, he has taught me one very important thing: New Technology, get the Warranty. Tried and true, don't bother.
    So, when we got our then very new Neptune front loading washing machine, we got the warranty. Two circuit board problems later, we are very happy. The matching dryer, we did NOT get the warranty. When it needed a new belt, DH got it a belt and put it on.
    Our new Prius represents, for us, new technology. So, we wanted the warranty.
    We are VERY happy that Troy offers it through PriusChat! He is very nice, pleasant to work with, and saved us $1200 over the dealer's 3rd party warranty.

19. 007Prius

007Prius New Member

When I purchased my Tundra I figured that hey it's a Toyota it should go 100K miles with no issues, well just as i passed the 36K miles 6 months ago the passanger exhaust manifold developed a crack and door speaker was partialy blown, luckly I purchased the extended warranty for piece of mind since there so many electrical parts and Toyota parts are not cheap, anyways, they also had to replace the o2 sensor since they could not get the old one out from the manifold, in the end the total was $1100(parts and labor) cost out of pocket $0 and free car rental, the warranty cost on my Tundra was $1000 from Toyota. When I purchased the Prius they wanted $1568 for the warranty as stated by FloridaWen, the reason why it's higher is because it's a hybrid(what the warranty sales guy said) so I skipped that part and plan to purchase it from Troy.

20. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I just want to say I appreciate all the feedback verus the pros and cons on getting the warranty. It has been helpful with my upcoming decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.