1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elcholoperuano

elcholoperuano New Member

The finance guy at the dealership where we are purchasing our Prius told us that if we didn't buy the plan now and waited until close to the 36k mark that certain things wouldn't be covered.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Also they were offering it for $1450. On a side note a place in Montana wanted $2400!!!!

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not true. I just purchased 7yr/75K ext warranty for $695 thru PriusChat 1 month before my 3yr/36K original warranty runs out. Troy is one of the nicest guys to deal business with. This is the genuine Toyota Platinum warranty we are talking about. Your dealer was B.S.-ing you into buying it now and from them. <_<

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi guys - whether you call Troy directly or use http://www.warrantyshack.com to submit your quote request, please remember to say that you are a PriusChat member. PriusChat receives a referral commission for each warranty sold, so if you found out about it here, remember to mention us when you buy!

4. lion46

lion46 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Nov 6 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]535754[/snapback]</div>
    Just picked up our Prius this past Monday. We got roped into the extended warranty for about $1800 which added three more payments plus $10 per month over 60 months. Is there any way to get out of this since it is included in the monthly payment?

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi neighbor. Congrats on your new Prius. Why don't you call Troy and ask him on the phone. He's a very friendly guy and he knows the ins and outs of all that finance and insurance stuff.

6. lion46

lion46 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Nov 7 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]536144[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. What is his telephone #?

7. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See the post from TOG on page 21, that's Troy and it has all his contact info.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lion46 @ Nov 7 2007, 08:12 AM) [snapback]536160[/snapback]</div>
    Troy Dietrich
    </span>
    Toyota of Greenfield
    (413) 772-0231
    (413) 772-0989 (My Direct Line)
    <span style="color:#222222">[email protected]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lion46 @ Nov 7 2007, 07:18 AM) [snapback]536132[/snapback]</div>
    If you cancel within 30 days, you get a full refund, less an administrative fee. Afterward, it is prorated. The cost of the policy will most likely be subtracted from your loan balance.

9. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elcholoperuano @ Nov 6 2007, 02:11 AM) [snapback]535352[/snapback]</div>
    i was told the same thing in that there are certain things such as lites, gps screen etc that would not be covered, however, i didnt question it since they offered the so called titanium + for $970 about the same as from troy.

10. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Nov 7 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]536185[/snapback]</div>
    There are in fact many items that aren't covered by the Platinum extended warranty. It's not full coverage at all. And I've only read a few posts from a few people on this board who have actually used the extended warranty.

Buying an extended warranty will not help you if you look at statistics. The reason they exist is that Toyota and other companies earn far more from them than they pay out. So you're gambling when you buy one.

I'm not going to buy an extended warranty. The existing warranty is great and I think it's enough for my wife and I.

-Dave in Seattle

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Nov 7 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]536194[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know the source of your information, but according to my extended service contract - which only lists exclusions, not covered items - just about everything is covered with the exception of items such as tires, belts, hoses, brake pads, light bulbs and cosmetic/trim items.

12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Nov 7 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]536194[/snapback]</div>
    There is no gambling going on here. This is a simple business proposition. I purchase life insurance, health insurance and disability insurance. I don't make the purchases with the expectation that the insurance companies are selling me policies at cost or below. They'd go out of business, and it wouldn't help me at all if they did that right as I was about to make a claim!

If you are fine assuming 100% of the risk (beyond the original warranty coverage, that is), then there is nothing to be upset about. If you are offended that dealers try to sell these policies at multiples above the point of reasonable profit, then I join you in crying "Fie and for shame!" Still, I like the idea of having some coverage for a car with new technology and expensive parts. To me, it is the same as buying term life insurance while my children are young: Sure, I'm not likely to die before they go off to college, but if I do, what will it cost my wife to manage without me? (OK -- I just opened myself up for all sorts of other comments :p .) I'll pay the extra money for the peace of mind, and I'll hope I never have to use it.

13. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it is about peace of mind and hoping you don't have to use it! Just like putting the snow plow on my tractor early keeps the snow away, the snow only comes early if I'm late putting the plow on.

14. elcholoperuano

elcholoperuano New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Nov 7 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]536298[/snapback]</div>

Because ya'll are saying that there is no dif between buying now or later, I'm going to buy later. My whole point in asking whether to wait or not was mainly because I didn't want to pay interest on something that I won't need for 3 years from date of purchase. Kinda stupid to buy it now if there's no difference ya know? Money doesn't grow on trees after all ;)

-------------------
    4% over dealer cost
    $2500 under sticker price
    -------------------

15. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Nov 7 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]536298[/snapback]</div>
    we dont have snow here, but is that the same as watering the lawn and then it rains?

16. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL that too!

17. Nick Danger

Nick Danger New Member

Last week I canceled my way too expensive Platinum 7 yr / 75,000 mi Extra Care Service agreement that the dealer sold me (You're with "X" company? I will give you a good price on this).

When I took my agreement book back to the Dealer and told them I wanted to cancel they asked me why. My simple reply was that I didn't need it. No other questions were asked of me. Since it was financed through TM, the total amount of the loan will be reduced, but the monthly payments will remain the same.

Today I received my new, reasonably priced (less than half the dealer cost) 7 yr / 100,000 mi agreement from Troy.

Troy was very quick to respond to my email inquiries and I am very happy with the results.

I highly recommend his service to anyone interested in any of the Toyota Extended Warranties or Prepaid Service agreements.

18. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    When I was picking up my HiHy, when I told the salesman how much I paid for the Prius extended warranty (I'm getting a refund, I think half of what I paid by the way), the sales manager offered to sell one for the HiHy to me for $1095. :) I wonder what they would have offered it for otherwise. Is the HiHy extended warranty the same as the one for the Prius?

19. amnon

amnon Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 7 2007, 09:43 AM) [snapback]536172[/snapback]</div>
    I just went through cancelation of 7y/75k that cost $1350 and getting the same from Troy for $695.
    When I canceled the old one I told them I was going to get it back from a different dealer and the person on the phone gave me the full $1350 back and said that since I was going to get it again he is waiving the administrative fee. I verified yesterday with TFS that the full $1350 was credited towards my loan.
    The loan will just become smaller by that amount. As a bonus, the $695 cost is really $688.05 as I paid it with my Costco AmEx ;-)
    Either way, Troy is (like other people said here) very pleasant to work with.

20. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Add my name to the list of very happy customers of Troy. He's fast, professional, thorough, and it's a good deal.

I waited until I had about 33K miles on our Prius, and seriously debated with myself about getting the extended warranty. In the end, I decided that it was worth the money even if the only thing it did for me was to provide peace of mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.