1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekc

ekc New Member

Re: Toyota Service Contracts / Extended Warranty - Discounte

What did you mean by 'if you don't use the warranty, you can get almost all of your money back?'

2. ekc

ekc New Member

I'm referring to 'mikepauls' comment above.

3. ekc

ekc New Member

I agree, it seems like a no brainer..

4. ekc

ekc New Member

Have they knocked the warranty from 8/100,000 down to 8/80,000 for the 2005 models? If so, that really bothers me since I have a 2005 coming in some day.

5. mmccking

mmccking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just got a 2005 and wasn't given an option for anything more than 7/100k, but I don't really think the dealer knew enough of what might have changed for 2005.

BTW, I decinded it because I didn't trust the finance guy who was trying to sell it to me.

He started a 7/100k at $4,000 and the 55K Service at $2000!

After an hour of this, he finally came down to $1280 and $995, respectively. I said that $995 is the MSRP for the 55K service according to Toyota.com, what kind of deal is that!

6. jofam

jofam New Member

Danny's deal of $670 is a great discount from MSRP for prepaid maintenance. Is it in the form of 11 service coupons which can be used at any Toyota dealerships nationwide? How much wou;ld the dealers charge for the minor maintenance (5000, 10000, 20000 etc.) and for the major maintenance (15,000, 30,000, and 45,000)? Should you have the car serviced only at the dealerships or can it be done, at least for the minor which seems to be only oil filter change, anywhere? Thanks for the info.

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jofam\";p=\"41948)</div>
    I'd like to know about this as well

It varies from place to place. For more information, see this thread for specific pricing info.

Also, great link from
    Edmunds.com with information about what is performed at regular maintenance, and a ballpark cost estimate.

This has also been discussed in a number of PriusChat threads; there are opinions either way (and also include those who suggest changing the oil and filter yourself; John1701a's web site has a tutorial with photos on how to do this).

I'd summarize in saying that the main reasons provided for going to a Toyota dealership for the minor checkups are:
    • That the techs may recognize other problems (Prius-specific problems) that a normal oil change mechanic wouldn't.
    • That the average oil change people will overfill the oil for the Prius.

• However, this all depends on the competence of the techs at your local Toyota dealership. Lots of people have had oil changes at Toyota service shops and had the oil overfilled.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Premium 4/55K] 5,000 mile interval plan, is in the form of an 11 coupon booklet.

The second part of the question isn't such an easy answer. Unlike the service contracts, only dealers that actually offer the Auto Care pre-paid maintence plans are required to honor them....but, I have sold quite a few to people in a number of different states, and have yet to have someone find a dealer that refused to honor them, even non-participating dealers, since the dealer still does get paid for the services (just not as much as they'd like) and since it does keep the customer coming back to them for all their service work giving the dealer the opportunity to "upsell" non-covered services, i.e. new tires, wheel alignments, brake jobs, accessories, etc... Toyota actually uses that fact to promote the dealers into selling the plans. But I still strongly suggest, that anyone interested in the maintenance plans contact the service dept of the dealer they plan on using for service just to make sure they will honor the coupons.

BTW, here is the link to Toyota Financials Auto Care webpage: Auto Care pre-paid maintenance

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been avoiding this topic since it will probably be a lengthy discussion diserving its own thread, but since it has been brought up again.....

The money back if not used guarantee is not a "no-brainer". It is also not something that Toyota Financial offers. It may be something that a dealer is either guaranteeing themselves, or it may be a third party insurance company that is offering it, in which the dealer simply includes the cost of that insurance in their service contract pricing. Just make sure and read the fine print if anyone finds a dealer that offers this, since you will be paying a premium for it.

My personal opinion on this, is that its a VERY good gamble on the dealers/insurance co. part. They make an extra 4-$500 profit on every service contract they sell, in which they get to hold that money and collect 7 years of interest on it. So, it costs them nothing out of pocket and then they would still break even, even if 1 out of every 3rd sale got their money back, and the numbers are probably more like 1 in 50 to 100 that a person will not only keep a car 7 years (nearly double the average), but also then never have a warrantable problem in that time. So, if that is such a good deal for the dealer/insurance co, then its probably not such a great deal for the consumer.

In addtion, anyone that has purchased this guarantee will be hesitant to file claims on their service contract and defeat the purpose of buying it in the first place. I can see people driving around with their check engine light on, or paying out of pocket for repairs, just so they can try and get their money back at the end of the 7 years....

anyway, thats my .02

Oh, I should probably add Toyota Financials actual refund policy...

Within the first 30 days from purchase, you can cancel the plan for a 100% refund, after that you have the ability to cancel your contract at anytime for any reason prior to its conclusion and get back a pro-rated refund based on the percentage of time/mileage remaining less a $25.00 fee, even if you have already filed a claim(s) against it, and regardless of how much those claims were for.

10. mooomoose

mooomoose New Member

Does anyone know if someone from Canada can buy the discounted ECP plan that is offered here? The longest ECP plan available from Toyota Canada is 84/120K or 72/160K.

Thanks

11. jofam

jofam New Member

Are the prepaid maintenance coupons transferable to the future potential buyer of your Prius?
    Troy, do I contact you directly at your phone number if I want to buy thie Prepaid Maintenance and the extended warranty? Thank you.

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

You can email [email protected] if you have any questions or are interested in the Service contracts. Troy will contact you personally.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I apologize for not emailing anyone for the last few days, the ISP that handles our email has apparantly had some kind of meltdown, and I have not been able to retreive any email for the last few days(Actually, Friday was the last time I was able to, since I was off on the weekend)....Please bear with us and I promise to reply to everyone as soon as its possible.

Sorry, although coverage for claims is good in Canada, we can only offer these plans on vehicles that were built for sale and sold in the U.S.

Yes, they can be transferred for a $50 transfer fee the same as the service contracts. And, like Danny said, for purchasing please contact me through PriusChat at [email protected].

14. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks for providing all this information, Tony -- it is appreciated! Makes me feel much more comfortable about making the purchase through PriusChat.

I'll check with the three Toyota Service Departments I might go to re: whether they honor the pre-paid maintenance coupons or not.

15. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have a 7/75,000 extended warranty, through the Priuschat discount can I pay to extend it to the 7/100,000 warranty? I'd really be interested in doing that as I have a tendency to drive my cars for a long time.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is no option for extending an existing plan. The only way to do it, is to cancel your current plan and then re-purchase the 7/100K.

17. ToothYoda

ToothYoda New Member

I just purchased the 7 year/75,000 mile Toyota Platinum Extra Care Agreement through this site. Troy Dietrich was very helpful, and I feel totally confident that my purchase For $690 was an *outstanding* buy.

Thank you for the information that is found here.

18. dannoprius

dannoprius New Member

I just wanted to say thanks for Troy Dietrich at Greenfield Toyota for his quick response in getting me the 7year/100K/0 Deductible Toyota Warranty for $985. I mailed my letter last Thursday, received a call from Troy on Monday, paid for my warranty over the phone, and received my receipt on Wednesday. I expect to get my official paperwork in a few weeks. All in all, a very smooth and professional job. Sure beats the $1425 that my local Toyota dealer (Ourisman Chantilly Toyota IIRC ) wanted to charge me for the same warranty. They said "$985 is a good deal". It sure is. Thanks!

Danno

19. smtrader

smtrader Member

Does anyone know if the $985 price for the 7/100/0 warranty is the "Platinum" warranty??

I was told by my local dealer that it can meet that price, but for a "Gold" level warranty, which has less goodies with it.

20. ToothYoda

ToothYoda New Member

It is the Platinum warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.