1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does the $1055 7year/100k deal mean $0 co pay for regular interval services for the 7 years/100k miles?

2. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey,deltron3030,

This thread talks about both extended warranties & pre-paid service contracts, so I think you need a little clarification here.

I think what you have in mind & are speaking of is a pre-paid service contract, which means each time you take your car in for each one of the scheduled 5,000 mile services that you pay nothing for only the covered items that are in the agreement (any other work they do or you ask for that is not in the agreement you still have to pay for). And I think the pre-paid service contract is for a much shorter mileage interval (maybe only up to 60,000 miles or less) & I think it's less than $1055 too.

Many here have said that paying-as-you-go for service works out to be much cheaper than buying a pre-paid service contract (but then again that may depend on how much the dealer charges & how many "extra" things the dealer tries to talk you into doing---only ask for what is recommended/required in your "Passport" guide to scheduled service handbook).

I haven't visited this thread for a while, but I think the $1055 price is only for an extended warranty for 7yrs/100,000 miles/$0 deductible which basically only pays for things that break, malfunction, or wear out during the coverage period (just like your original 3yr/36,000 mile factory warranty does). The extended warranty does NOT add to the factory warranty (so it's NOT for a total of 10 yrs/136,000 miles), so it only runs for 100,000 miles or 7 years from your original "in service" date (NOT necessarily your "delivery" date).

You only want the Toyota Financial Services extended warranty (which Troy sells here under the name of Warranty Shack) because any third-party/after-market warranty may have plenty of loop holes for lack of covered items or may go out of business by the time you need it & some of them are only good at the dealer who sells you the warranty (so what happens if you are traveling across country when something breaks/malfunctions/wears out?).

Troy's warranty IS the Toyota Financial Services one, so it's good at ANY Toyota dealer & 2 other advantage of it are that I believe it still offers Toyota Roadside Assistance & I think it still pays for a rental car if your car takes longer than a day to repair (I know mine that I got from Troy 4 years ago does). I hope this helps.

Edit : One last thing. You have until your factory warranty expires to pick up the official Toyota extended warranty, so there's no real need to get it now. However the benefits you would lose out on for 3 years by not getting it sooner would be the roadside assistance & the free rental car.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

3. 2010Prius4

2010Prius4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow a day late on this one...

So can I cancel the warranty I just bought yesterday from the dealer and get this one?

4. scottcocoabeach

scottcocoabeach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same thing here - I found this out after buying from my dealer. I called them up and getting a refund was no problem at all - they were very nice about it actually. That's in Florida so I don't know if it's that easy for everyone but it was no problem at all for me.

5. dreamyip

dreamyip New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do I have to pay tax (living in CA) for this Toyota Financial Services extended warranty?

6. TOG

TOG Silver Business Sponsor

No, there's no sales tax or any other surprise fees. The quoted price is the total cost.

Troy

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know this has been asked previously but I am going to ask again just to be sure.

Is there any kind of refund if I have the Toyota Platinum extended warranty and sell the car before it runs out? or can it be transfered to a new owner?

I am thinking of buying a fairly long warranty from Troy but I am not sure how long I will keep the car.

8. TOG

Yes, you can cancel a Toyota Extra Care policy at any time for any reason...even if you've previously had claims against it.

Within 30 days of purchase you're eligible for a full refund (unless a claim has been filed), if you're beyond 30 days or have had a claim, refunds are calculated on a pro-rated basis. The refund is based on the percentage of time or mileage remaining and they go by the lower of the two percentages.

Oh...and there's also a $25.00 cancellation processing fee from TFS which is deducted from the refund amount.

Troy

2 people like this.
  9. reebster

reebster New Member

So to clarify, because I'm thinking of going car shopping in the next few weeks, if I buy a used Prius that's still under factory warranty (less than 36,000 miles) I am still eligible to purchase this policy?

10. TOG

Yes, it makes no difference if you purchase the vehicle new, used, or even Certified. As long as it's still within the original 3 yr / 36K factory warranty it is eligible.

Troy

11. ChiralChimera

ChiralChimera New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got a 7 year 100,000 mile with the 50 dollar deductable warranty for 1180 dollars? Should I call em up and cancel it? Just bought a new prius.

The price I got offered was 2.1k but I took it down to that price. It seemed reasonable at the time.

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Get a price from one of the places offering Toyota plans online and decide if it's worth changing.

When some wienie here tells you an extended warranty is a waste of money, ask them what guarantee they are offering.:D

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You could email Troy and get a price quote, also make sure the one you have is really the Toyota Platinum version and not something else.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is easy :)

I guarantee you will pay the premium, whether you use it or not.

15. 10priusII

10priusII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I paid $800 for 5 yr 100K Platinum $0 deduct. So. everyone can fight for a good price too.

16. Considering

Considering Junior Member

I'm reading these posts because I just got a notice from an outfit called "CarSafe" which is offering an extended warranty on Powertrain coverage, or Platinum, various protection plans (up to 5 years, up to 140,000 miles) for my 2005 Prius, no price mentioned (you have to call). What's your opinion on that? The car has close to 50,000 miles now.

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No don't do it, don't buy anything other than the Toyota warranty.

CarSafe Review | Rip-off Report #618460

18. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a question for everyone. When i go to the toyota site to see what the different warrantys cover. Even when you select the prius, most of the parts in the car are not listed.

Such as 1 Under Cooling system, pretty much every part covered says something like "engine collant fan" or "engine coolant pump" doesn't say anything about inverter cooling parts.

Or the transmission section talks about parts that are found in a normal auto trans, there in nothing about the electric motors or the gears being covered.

I'm confused, the warranty says it only covers the listed parts, and the listed parts don't include any of the expensive parts in a prius.

19. TOG

The Toyota Extra Care Platinum coverage is an Exclusionary type of plan. Meaning that it covers the entire vehicle except for specifically listed exclusions to the coverage. It's the type of plan that's commonly referred to as a 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty. The items listed in the covered sections are simply provided as examples of the types of things that are covered by the Platinum versus the Gold plan. It would be impossible for Toyota to list every single part covered by a Platinum plan since it would read like an encyclopedia of parts that would be constantly changing evolving as Toyota introduced new models and options. (It would also have to include parts for other makes of vehicles too, since Toyota also has a version of their Extra Care plan for non-Toyota's)

The Toyota website also has the actual brochure on it that you can download, which provides the exclusion list.

Troy

20. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, What are the payment options? I figure CC, Debt, Check? Is their any other ways to pay? I remember GM offered a 12 month 0% payment plan. Again thanks for your time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.