1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOG

TOG Silver Business Sponsor

PM Sent.

Troy

2. vatsan

vatsan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Quick question that you may have already answered in the 125 previous pages. I just bought my new Prius 3 from the dealer and he gave me an extended warranty for 7yrs/75000 miles for $1750. He said if I didn't use it I would get my money back at the end of the 7th year, and I could cancel any time in the next 3 months.
    Based on what I've seen on these forums, it looks like he's fleeced me by ~800$ (at least) or am I missing something?
    @ Troy - Can you let me know if you offer the same product as above and your best quote ? (through PM if you prefer)
    Lastly, these forums have been tremendously useful to me in negotiating the best price and answer many questions. thank you all!

3. TOG

Hi Vatsan, I sent you a PM with all the information and details. Welcome to PriusChat!

Troy

4. wrm1701

wrm1701 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi... I just bought a 2008 Prius Base Package 2 from a non-Toyota Dealer. It has 32500 Miles on it. I would like to extend the warranty. Is the $1055 price still valid?

5. TOG

Yes, as long as the vehicle is still within the original factory 3 yr / 36K warranty it's eligible. It makes no difference if you're purchasing it new, used, or Certified.

Troy

6. NakedDuck

NakedDuck Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Please don't post information about a non-PriusChat supporting dealership.

Thanks,

Danny

7. Mike4puy

Mike4puy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What about coverage after normal warranty period, like I have 68,000 miles and the car is five years old, what's out there and how much, thanks for any help.

8. TOG

Unfortunately, you're only eligible for the genuine Toyota plans while the vehicle is still within the factory 3 yr / 36,000 mile warranty. If it's beyond that, the only way to get a Toyota plan is if you're purchasing the vehicle from a Toyota or Lexus dealer....and even then it can only be sold by that dealer, and only right at the time of sale.

I wish I had better news, but in this case you're only option would be to look into 3rd party plans.

Troy

1 person likes this.
  9. Mike4puy

Mike4puy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info, I guess I'm out of luck so it will be fingers crossed all the way.

10. szafar

szafar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought new Prius yesterday and dealer sold me platinum 8 year /100000 miles for around 1975 that is way high after looking here. He also sold me maintenance plan, LoJoack and some other junk. all this totaled to 3400+.
    Please let me know if I cancel my stuff then will I be able to get same extended warranty through this forum/WarrantyShack and Toyota? is there any impact that I earlier canceled my warranty with toyota. Please advise me ASAP as I want to talk to dealer right away.
    Please note I am new in this forum and may not understand some of terms used here. Thanks in advance.

11. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Normally you have three business days to cancel these types of transactions... I was talked in to a extended warranty by the dealer as well, it was $1200 for the 6 yr/100K mile, I called the dealer on Monday and cancelled, then purchased the 7 yr/100K mile warranty through Troy for $1055! Just be firm and don't let them talk you out of canceling, which they will! They even tried to offer me an 8 yr/100K mile for the $1200, but quite honestly, I'd run out of miles before I ran out of years, so for me the 7 yr/100K mile made the most sense.

12. szafar

szafar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to say thank as I am able to negotiate and save good money because of this site and info about extended warranty here.

13. szafar

szafar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Paul. I am able to negotiate and get almost same price. Why I did not cancel because all amount was being financed at 0% so I will pay it in 60 months. Thanks for response.

14. naid

naid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking into purchasing a 2008 Prius from a private party. The car has just over 36k miles. Seems like it might be a bit too late to get factory extended warranty.

Any exceptions to the 3/36k rule? Like maybe a check-up, or possibly a slightly more expensive plan with the same coverage?

15. TOG

Hi Naid,

Unfortunately, once you're beyond the original 3 yr / 36K factory warranty you can only purchase a genuine Toyota plan from a dealer which is also selling the car. Since you're purchasing it from private party your only option would be to look into something 3rd party.

Wish I had better news!

Troy

16. slkjohn23

slkjohn23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Purchased a 2010 Prius today and they wanted $2000 for 7 year 125k wrapped into my 0% APR loan. Told me I had until Wednesday to decide. Waiting for a reply from warrantyshack. I have no problem paying out of pocket for the better deal. :)

17. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, slkjohn23,

How long have you been waiting since contacting warrantyshack? If it's been longer than an hour or two, you need to check your spam filter box or bulk mail, because Troy usually is able to send a quote within an hour or two & I think his price for the one you are considering is only $1055. His is the real Toyota one & I don't think you can find a better price anywhere else. I think Toyota's actual cost for the dealer is about $600, so you can see what a raping your dealer wants to give you.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

18. TOG

Hi John,

Check your email, I sent you a reply to the WarrantyShack quote request.

I'm usually only here until 7 or 8pm EST...so if I receive a request later than that I'll reply to it the next morning.

Troy

19. graphikzking

graphikzking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought a 2010 Prius (IV) No Solar Roof/Nav option -

Warranty was Quoted $1800.

I told them I wouldn't pay anything over $1000 for it.

They said they have some room in it and maybe could do like $1400.

I told them no, I'll buy it elsewhere for cheaper.

Salesperson got on phone with "finance guy" and asked me, Would you buy it if we could do $1100. I said "nope, dont worry I'll get it later, just the car".

Then she left, came back and said we can do it at $1000 plus tax = $1060 and put it into your 0% financing for you.

I said Deal.

Then I had to go to the finance office and say no to LoJack, Key Lockout, Paint Protection, Tire Protection etc etc .

$1000 for 7yr / 100k

Thompson Toyota Doylestown, Pa

20. TOG

That's all well and good, but you don't provide enough detail in your post to even know what type of policy you purchased. It could be for a Gold plan with a $50 deductible...or something 3rd party.

Even if we are comparing apples to apples, with every policy that is purchased here through PriusChat a percentage of the proceeds goes back to PriusChat. So by purchasing a policy through us, you're not only getting a great price you're also helping the PriusChat community by helping to fund new servers, software, etc...

Troy

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.