1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XJprius

XJprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Troy,
    Just thought I'd check in on the forum. I sent a quote request for the warranty and maintenance plan via your site but hadn't heard back in a few days. Please let me know if you need me to resend.
    Thank you!

2. ASK_J

ASK_J New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I just made a deal with one of the Toyota dealers to buy Prius. I have not picked it up yet. Should I wait to get the Prius and then get a quote for warranty?
    Thanks

3. mp402

mp402 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad to find this forum, I also just signed for my Prius 3 yesterday but pickup is not till Monday. I have requested a quote from Troy and will now need to have the dealer redo all the paperwork. Thanks for all the input from the members on this forum.

4. ASK_J

ASK_J New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Troy,
    I submitted the warranty and maintenance quote form yesterday. Please send me the quote and the details.
    Thanks

5. TOG

TOG Silver Business Sponsor

Sorry for the delay...I was out of town last week, and I'm working my way through all of my email today.

Troy

6. friskybri

friskybri New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Troy, I got The Total care and warr from you on my prius IV. So I sent another warrshack but without a vin because my mother is wanting one now. We think we found a prius iv that is like ours and we will be looking at it monday.

7. DELLsFan

DELLsFan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi folks! I bought my beautiful 2011 Prius III earlier this month and think it's smart to purchase an extended warranty. I was definitely not going to go through the dealer(s). Since it's late in the 2011 year, will Warranty Shack still give me a good deal if I sign up today? :)

8. TOG

DellsFan,

Sure thing. Check your email, I just sent you a reply to your request through WarrantyShack.

Troy

9. DELLsFan

DELLsFan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you very much, Troy for the quick response! ;)

We'll be in touch soon!

10. dodgeprius

dodgeprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello Troy:

I was very relieved to see your warranty offer and am now regretting not having looked at this thread before I closed on a new, 2011 Prius Dec. 30, which included a Toyota VSA through the dealer's finance dept. I opted for (8yr./125K at $50 deductible) and I'm hopeful your quote is comparable to the 7yr. MSRP difference. Would really like to compare quotes for the $0 and $50 deductible for this plan. I sent a quote request via e-mail this morning and hope to hear back from you soon as I will be cancelling the one I purchased through the dealer. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!!

11. zemit

zemit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Troy,
    I submitted the warranty and maintenance quote form yesterday. Please send me the quote and the details.
    Thanks

12. David6

David6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was convinced by my dealer to buy the extended warranty (6yr/100k) primarily because of the "money-back guarantee" (less $50 fee) if I don't use the warranty.

Regardless of whether I paid too much, I'm considering canceling it just due to the hoops one has to jump through to recover the money at the end of the service period. Admittedly it is sending paperwork in, but it must be timed correctly and also I need an odometer statement signed by a licensed vehicle dealer. What dealer will want to be bothered with that? (Maybe the one I bought it from, but that will likely not be convenient 100,000 miles from now.)

Does anyone have experience recovering the value of the warranty when unused at the end of the coverage period?

13. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

People keep saying this but I don't think it's true. For example if you buy a 100,000 mi. warranty and trade or sell the car at 80,000 mi. I know you get a prorated amount back ( I did get it back with my 05) but if you keep the car for the full 100,000 mi the warranty is simply over and I don't think you get anything back. Troy if you read this can you give a definitive answer.

14. David6

David6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, different agreements may differ, but the one I have from Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc., states, "Purchase Price Refund: Upon expiration of this Service Contract, if you have not had a claim under this Service Contract, do not have a claim pending payment, and if you follow the steps outlined below, the purchase price of your Service Contract up to a maximum of $2,500 will be refunded to you, less a $50 administration fee."

I would have to send in a written request with signature within 60 days after the expiration of the Service Contract, along with an odometer statement, copy of the service contract and a copy of the vehicle registration.

15. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sorry I thought you were talking about the "Toyota" extended warranty.

16. TOG

First of all Toyota doesn't offer a "purchase refund" option with their plans. So anyone being offered that option is either being sold a 3rd party warranty or at the very least a 3rd party addendum which would be paired with a Toyota warranty at an additional premium.

Way back I worked at a dealer that offered plans with that option, and I could count on my hands the number of people that got their money back each year on those....out of hundreds of policies sold.

Those plans also put you in an awkward position the first time you need to file a claim. Let's say you pay $2000 for the warranty, and 2 years in you need an $800 repair. Now you have to decide whether to actually use the policy, or pay the $800 in hopes you won't have any more claims so you can get your money back at the end.

Plus, you have to keep the car until the policy runs out...and they give you a relatively small window to apply for the refund. If your car is totalled or stolen, you're out and if for whatever reason you sell or trade the car before the policy expiration you're out.

I don't think they make good sense if you really think about it.

I can actually sell the Fidelity plans through our VW, Audi, and Kia dealerships and opted out of that program because I don't believe in it.

And in response to Paprius4030; Yes Toyota's refund policy is that you can cancel the plan at any time for any reason and you're entitled to a pro-rated refund based on the time / mileage remaining (they will go by the lower percentage of the two), less a small processing fee. Even if you've had $10,000 in claims, you'd still be entitled to a refund if you cancel it early.

Troy

2 people like this.
  17. David6

David6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Troy, I appreciate that feedback. This is what my gut has been telling me the last couple of days as I thought about it.

I'm detail-oriented enough and keep my vehicles long enough that I'm sure I would get the refund request done correctly, but I'm not that excited by the prospect now that I've looked carefully at it.

I hadn't thought about the totalled or stolen scenarios negating the benefit of the potential refund. Hmm.

I'll probably cancel it in the next couple of days. That will be a chore, too, I'm sure.

18. Julieo

Julieo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Danny-
    I have a 2005 Prius and I just recently ordered a 2012 Plug-In through Dianne at Carson Toyota.
    My question is - Don't the cars today come with a 100K/8 yr warranty standard?
    When I bought my 2005, I think the warranty was 60K/5 years or something like that...so I could see where you may need an extended warranty back then, but what about for model years 2012 and later?

Just wondering what I am missing...thanks for the reply.
    Julie

19. TOG

Hi Julie,

There are three major segments of the original factory warranty for the Toyota Hybrid models...and it really hasn't changed since 2005.

3 yr / 36K - Full comprehensive coverage (basically what is typically referred to as the bumper-to-bumper part of the warranty)

5 yr / 60K - Powertrain coverage (Gasoline engine, transmission, and axle assembly components)

8 yr / 100K - Major Hybrid components (Inverter/Converter, Hybrid Battery, Battery Control Module, and Hybrid Control module)

10 yr / 150K - Hybrid Battery...but only on vehicles that are sold in certain states which follow the California Emission Control Warranty. Currently (CA, CT, ME, MA, NJ, NM, NY, OR, RI, and VT).

So most of the vehicles factory warranty coverage, including most of the computers and electronics ends at 3 years / 36,000 miles whichever is reached first.

Troy

20. dodgeprius

dodgeprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If anyone is looking to get the best price on the extended warranty plan from Toyota, you must contact Troy. I recently purchased a new 2011 Prius and went with the price the dealer offered, which was supposedly a "great price". However, reviewing this string it was apparent Troy Dietrich and his team offered the best deal. Initially, I purchased the 8 yr./125k Platinum plan with a $50 deductible. Troy not only beat the price by almost $800, but I now have a $0 deductible for the same plan. Contact and buy the warranty through Troy, you won't be disappointed in both the price and customer service. Thank you Troy and team!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.