1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discovery's Arctic Circle

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by icarus, Jun 26, 2010.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For all you global warming deniers out there, I suggest that you see Discovery Channel's "Arctic Circle" which aired on Friday night June 25 on Discovery HD in Canada,, don't know about in the States.

It shows in irrefutable detail what is happening in the high Arctic to the Ice pack over the last generation, and it's effects. Very chilling,,no pun intended. Pretty sad too, especially when there are still so many folks who for what ever reason won't accept the facts before their very eyes!

Icarus

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it on again? I'd like to record that.

Change is happening faster in the North, but there are fewer people there to witness it.

Very recently, two explorers set out on their journey to circumnavigate the Arctic Ocean in a small sailboat. I believe Discovery Channel is also involved in documenting the effort.

Here's another page from the sailboat manufacturer's site, with some chilling pictures. ;)

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some pretty scary stuff, including ice cores of sea ice that historically ~7 meters thick near the pole, and last season, .7 meters. Deniers like to talk about the extent of summer ice, but the relevant number is the mass of summer ice.

I might challenge anyone who doesn't "believe" in global warming to spend some time in the high arctic, or at the very least, spend some time doing some independent research even of "popular media" such as discovery, National Geographic, etc documentaries about the Arctic!

As I have said far too often, folks from mid latitudes have very little clue about what the high arctic is all about. We also have very little clue as to the consequences to the high arctic of just a degree or two C will be, leading to an uncontrollable melt of permafrost, leading to huge releases in methane from the permafrost.

Wake up folks!

1 person likes this.