1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

disinfecting prime interior

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by eveyo, Nov 21, 2020.

1. eveyo

eveyo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey guys. During covid, how are you guys disinfecting your prime interior and wiping door handles?

There are obviously disinfectant wipes (not sure if these are safe on interior material such as steering wheel).

Ive seen fogging type devices as well as air purifiers. I've been thinking about this with my trip to the dealer recently and also just day to day.

2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The only thing I can think to suggest is that the typical procedure of emptying a large can of Lysol through the intake in front of the windshield, with the air conditioning blazing, will help with both the cabin and killing off mold in the evaporator core.

Unfortunately, probably the only safe bet is to just not let anybody you don’t live with into your car...

#2 mr88cet, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2020
  3. Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Don't worry about the surfaces in your car. The virus is transmitted in the air. The cleaning of surfaces is now described as "hygiene theater". As mr88cet says, household members only in the car. If someone else has to ride along, make sure everyone is masked, fan on high - or windows down, and the recirc is off.

PT Guy and mr88cet like this.
  4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Primarily by respiratory droplets or aerosols, yes, but when it’s easy to do, it’s still not a bad idea to clean surfaces. No need to go overboard on it though.

Early on, there were PCR tests of surface swabs that detected COVID19 RNA on surfaces for days or even weeks after deposition. However, these are now not expected to be actual viable viruses; just leftover, disembodied RNA (to whatever degrees a virus has a body!).

But if it’s fairly-freshly deposited, there still is danger.

#4 mr88cet, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (1) As others, no non-household members are riding in my car;

(2) Let is sit unused for days at a time (though I have the option to alternate cars if necessary). The virus was long believed to be non-viable after 1-3 days on various surfaces, and the focus has since moved away from surfaces and towards aerosols.

This won't help ride-share drivers much. But even for them, I believe the non-perfection of face masks during extended aerosol exposures in interior spaces is a greater issue.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bleach-free disinfectant wipes.

I guess a mild detergent and water solution might help too since SofTex is synthetic (plastic polymer of some sort) so it's easy to clean.

7. eveyo

eveyo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks guys. I usually don't have anyone outside of my household in my car. When I went to dealer for a fix, didn't have a choice. I ended up using eco disinfectant spray followed by armor all wipes on the steering wheel and water on my door handles.

Going forward I'm intrigued by the defogger cleaners but I'm not that familiar with them. Overall just worried about not damaging the interior or paint while also not being harmful to my health.

8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I had mine in recently for 55Kmile service, so I’m there with you. I just:
    1. made sure they all had masks and gloves, and
    2. when done, opened all windows and drove for several miles to blow out as much cabin air as possible,
    3. wiped down a few key high-touch areas (shifter, steering wheel, and door handles) with hand sanitizer,

and just hoped for the best. After a few days the chances that nothing could have survived on the surfaces go to pretty much zero.

#8 mr88cet, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here. left the car an extra day, mask and gloves, windows open. didn't turn the fan on, didn't want it blowing near my face.
    a little clorox on a rag for the handle, wheel, shifter, radio. not overly concerned about things i don't normally touch.

10. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just park it under this, open all doors, trunk and the sunroof!

[​IMG]

11. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Love it, but ‘Primes don’t have sunroofs...

12. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They don't come with them anyway, lol. Sunroof | PriusChat

vvillovv likes this.