1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dismantling Dash Board.

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by mohsin, Apr 3, 2018.

1. mohsin

mohsin Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A

My car has dashboard rattle, it seems that there is some plastic part moving around as this noise shifts from middle to left. I have ensured that its not the dashboard.

How do i dismantle the top part of dashboard

upload_2018-4-3_22-12-13.png

2. Brandon Most

Brandon Most Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Looks like that is part of the main dash. The good news is that the stereo surround, center vent, side vent and the silver dash panel all pop off with just a gentle pull. Those pieces are just clipped in and will allow access to see under the part you wanted to remove. C dash.jpg

3. mohsin

mohsin Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much. Very helpful

4. PGHtoolman

PGHtoolman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Big hammer will get you in <sarcasm>

Good question, I have a small rattle in my dash as well. I will pop those panels this weekend.

texting from Luke's old jalopy Red 5

5. ecoboxer

ecoboxer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    There is very detailed instructions for disassembling the dash on Toyota TIS. The parts guy at my local Toyota dealer printed it out for me. I was suffering from dash rattle last year, I took apart and reassembled the dash probably about 5 times total. I can detail what I found and how I fixed my dash rattle, if anyone is interested.

LnG likes this.
  6. mohsin

mohsin Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes pls, I have already taken the front 4 pcs off twice but the rattle is still there.

It is like some plastic part is moving around under the dash. Starting from the meter and moving towards the glove box.
    I want to take off the top cover as highlighted in # 1.

Thanks in advance

7. ecoboxer

ecoboxer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    You will need a non-marring pry tool, and a trim removal tool, both can be found at automotive stores. Looking at the picture posted above, you must remove the parts in this order:
    1. Pull out the left and right vents
    2. Remove 55405B with soft pry tool
    3. Remove 55474B with your hands
    4. There will be a bolt connecting the passenger airbag to the frame behind 55474B, remove it. Also unplug the two electrical connectors you see.
    5. Pull out 55670A
    6. Using the edge of the soft pry tool, push in the center of the two retainers right above the meter. Use the trim removal tool to remove them.
    7. Lift up and pull out 55404D. You will see the metal frame that the meter is attached to. Remove the two screws holding the meter in. There is a third screw on the left side of the metal frame here that also needs to be removed.
    8. Now you must remove the plastic covers on the A pillars. There is an airbag behind each of them. This is tricky. If you struggle with this I would get help from your dealership because I had a lot of trouble with this step.
    9. Once the A columns are out you can remove the two black plastic retainers found at the far left and right side of the dash, where the A columns were. Use the trim removal tool.
    10. Assuming I'm not forgetting anything you should be able to lift up and remove the entire dash. Lower the steering wheel as far as it will go, and lift the dash upwards and towards you (there are many tabs holding it in).

Reverse the steps when you want to put it all back together. You can also reconnect the meter and drive without the dash on at all, this may help you find the rattle, and the car will drive perfectly fine as long as the meter is connected. As I mentioned, the problem that I found was the metal tabs right below the windshield. My solution was to cover each of these tabs with black fabric tape (such as hockey tape). Once I did this and reinstalled the dash, the rattling noise was virtually gone.

EDIT: Here is a video that shows the first half of my instructions

LnG and Brandon Most like this.
  8. mohsin

mohsin Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. Very well described. Thanks a lot for your guidance.

The steps 7 onwards are going to be my 1st time. Hopefully i will be able to sort out the rattle once for all.
    :)

9. mohsin

mohsin Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A

I had been struggling to get hold of the rattle under the dash board.
    So I took it apart again. This time I removed the meter & the Nav unit as-well which made inspection quite easy.
    I was sure that there is some plastic clip, or part which is moving around and rattles. I looked every where but could not find anything which could move and rattle.
    Then I started tapping/ pulling/ shoving everything under the dash and when I came to black air vent tubes on top of fan unit I noticed the one going to passenger side way not sticking to the foam on the fan unit and it was moving and touching the underside of meter panel.
    So i took some plastic ties/zip locks and tied the black plastic air vent to the metal frame of air box in such a way that it sat firmly on the air box and it did not move.

Reassembled every thing and went for test drive. Quietest Ride ever.

AQUA users beware that the Navi unit will require security password on powering up. Secondly the rear view camera will have to be re-programmed for steering.

Brandon Most likes this.
  10. mohsin

mohsin Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the diagram of air vent tubing which was loose.
    Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 6.06.49 PM.png

11. Brandon Most

Brandon Most Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the updates. I'm sure it will help out others in the future.