1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display Audio with Navigation vs. Premium HDD Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ClaySacramento, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I read over at ToyotaNation, it's not compatible with the older models. I'm not sure why because I would've thought it's just a headunit swap.

I'm sure someone who's more familiar with A/V swaps can answer in more detail.

Here's the thread (post 6)

Love the new Nav, any possibility of upgrading from 2011? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

2. bcash5

bcash5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am buying a new car and have narrowed my choices to the Camry Hybrid XLE and the Prius V model 5. I am at the point of choosing options. I need to know the pros and cons of the Display Audio with Navigation and the Primium HDD Navigation systems. Can you give me good reasons to spend $5500 on the premium system? If I go with the display system will I be disappointed in the future?

3. RickD

RickD New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is more in the nature of a complaint than seeking help. I own a 2005 Prius with navigation. I just got back from a dealer visit to look at the 2012 Gen-Three. Why is the basic nav so lame in comparison to what I have already on my seven-year old 2005? It seems silly to make the Premium HDD navigation available only on a Prius 4 with solar sunroof (which I don't want) or the Prius 5. Give us the option of decent navigation on the Prius 3 or having the HDD Navigation on the Prius 4 without coupling it to the solar sunroof. I'm thinking I'll just hang on to the 2005 I already own.

4. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's quite common for all manufacturers to offer premium electronics coupled in premium packages. You'd be the first person in my sphere of communication who wants the pricy nav and entune but nothing else that would usually be found on a higher end car. Such as power seats. Faux leather. EC mirror and homelink. Sunroof and heads up and more safety features That sort of list of extras.

I guess you can't have it all :) although there's no sense in WANTING it that way!

5. LeoArt

LeoArt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For me the Display Audio system in my Plug-In has been a complete disappointment compared with the Nav system that came with our 2010 Prius III (without Entune.) The main issue off the bat was that the Entune system will not work over bluetooth with an iPhone (you are required to plug it in.) The system in the Advanced plug-in will apparently work properly with the iPhone. Besides the obvious sound quality and screen size I was surprised to hear that the voice isn't as pleasant (among the other issues Erica explained above.) I totally feel shortchanged by Toyota on this with the Plug-In and all the Toyota spin isn't going to convince me that they couldn't have kept the head unit from the former Prius or at least given me the opportunity to upgrade the head unit for say $500 tops. The advanced model was simply too much $$$ compared with what you get in other vehicles in that price range, FE not withstanding, and we are talking about a $32k car without that sunroof we had! Had I known that the difference wasn't just sound quality and screen size when we were in the dealership I might have just skipped this "upgrade" from our former Prius III. I just assumed originally that yea, the screen/sound isn't as nice but Entune should make up for these issues (Yea, should have searched for Erica's post before purchase, and yea, I am enjoying that fuel economy...)

6. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I had the 2011 Package IV with sunroof.
    I now have a base model Plug In that I upgraded to having the two most important things to me : leather and Homelink mirror.

I also have developed a sincere fondness for the Entune with use and time... being able to call out destinations rapid-fire and locate things quickly using the "show next..." .. and the best value for me is the HOV lane access... as well as the 67-70 MPG I am averaging.

Ya take the good with the bad sometimes. My glass is half full. Leoart, it's perspective. You either have a glass half full or help empty.

BTW: what's unpleasant about her voice? It's certainly very melodic as compared to many other NAV systems!

7. LeoArt

LeoArt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As a vegetarian I would have loved the faux-leather since we couldn't get it on the 2010, but again there was that big $$$ difference between the Basic and advanced (first car I ever bought that cost anywhere close to sticker.) You are right, half-full. Hard to explain but her voice simply isn't as nice as the other one was, but it could also be I'm missing those "airplane" tone prompts ;) No offense to someone who works for Toyota, but I just have this nagging feeling two weeks into the purchase that Toyota kinda went cheap on me with the entertainment system (better than saying a few other things that come to mind.)

Anyway, once we get those HOV stickers I'll probably feel differently...

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  8. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It is "cheap" but the long term result is expected to be better. The update to the Entune on flash drive - couldn't do that on an old version NAV. Those upgrade DVDs' are $225. each...
    The Starbucks closing and moving? You will still go to the wrong place on the old one... and the new one using da' BING will find your new spots easily.
    The reading out of the address verbally quick = priceless.
    I have lots of other thoughts.... but that's adequate for now?

9. Carefree Jerry

Carefree Jerry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So Toyota gives us a HDD nav; now how about giving us the ability to delete that joke of a "nav" system and allowing us to install the GPS software of our choice? I currently have both Microsoft Streets and Trips and Google Earth on my netbook, and both give excellent results with a Microsoft GPS dongle plugged into a USB port. I also have an excellent Garmin 1450 and two Garmin iQ3600. Any of these provides far better performance and more features than the unit in my 2012 Toyota Prius 5. Microsoft and Garmin provide FREE lifetime updates on their newer units; the Garmin 1450 indicates posted speed limits as well as current speed directly on the map screen; and all units provide full functionality while to car is in motion! My Prius is Great; too bad the same cannot be said for it's HDD Audio/Nav system.