1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display buttons in Steering wheel not working after Jump.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by alexk345, Oct 22, 2022.

1. alexk345

alexk345 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Suddenly noticed that display buttons in my prius 2010 not working. Also the voltage to mirror not working also.
    Is there a fuse that goes to these? Where do you buy fuses for prius 2010?

is there detail online diagram for all fuses?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You find the most details online in the electrical wiring diagram:

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

Does your car have the Touch Tracer display (you see a glowing outline of the steering wheel buttons over the speedometer when you touch the buttons)?

The steering wheel is wired two different ways depending on whether you have that feature or not. Without the feature, you have the wires marked (*7) here ("w/o Touch Sensor"). The TRIP and DISP buttons just have their own two wires through the spiral cable and back to the combination meter.

With the touch tracer feature, you have the wires marked (*6) here ("w/ Touch Sensor"). They use the same two wires through the spiral cable, but instead of just carrying one button each, they use one to supply power to a little micro computer in the steering pad switch, and the other wire carries messages from the computer about all the buttons being pressed, back to a STRG terminal on the combination meter, where the messages get decoded.

[​IMG]

In that version, the power to that micro computer comes through the 10 amp IGN fuse. But so do lots of other things; I expect if that fuse were blown you would notice other things not working. Have you noticed if the cruise control is working? Or the passenger airbag on/off light?

3. alextesl

alextesl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    For me the horn and display/trip buttons aren't working, but I don't get any airbag light and the cruise control works great. What could it possibly be?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes a problem like that will be the spiral cable, but that's not the only possibility.

By the way, what's your answer to the question in that post you quoted? Is your car with the Touch Tracer feature, or without?

5. alextesl

alextesl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It is with the Touch Tracer feature.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, so that means in the drawing in post #2, it has the wiring variants with the (*6) marks, namely the red one bringing IG power, and the green one from TX1 in the steering wheel to STRG at the combination meter, and button presses are sent as coded messages on that TX1-STRG link (instead of over separate wires as they would be for the non-Touch Tracer cars).

I'm not sure if knowing that will help you or not, but sometimes it does, depending on what kind of problem is involved.

7. alextesl

alextesl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have no idea what you said. :(

8. alexk345

alexk345 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I want to know display button connected to any fuse?

9. alexk345

alexk345 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I have no solution for this. Trip/display only dont work after jump. its like this for 2 years.

I dont want to get ripped off by going to bad mechanic

Only thing is i also broke the cable that is connected to 12v car battery. Dont know what is that.

Ist connected to the plate that holds the 12 v battery
    [​IMG]

When i removed battery i moved the rod and removed the teflon style attachment . Why they connect to battery if its not wired. Weird

There should be a way to test why display trip swicyh is gone.

I bought all fuse but i know which fuse to check.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you have a multimeter and the ability to read and follow a diagram, refer to posts #2 and #6 and track down the cause of the problem.