1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display issue, and rattling underbody

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mattokun, May 18, 2018.

1. Mattokun

Mattokun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,
    I recently had my 2013 Prius 2 parked in my garage for 2 weeks. Apparently it was quite hot and humid during that time.

I have 2 issues now:

1. When I started it afterwards, and the engine kicked in, there was a short, quite loud rattling noise, which seemed to have to different "flavors". I had all my windows open, and it sounded as if it came from the front underbody.
    It never happened again, and a cursory glance under the car does not show anything.
    Need I be worried?

2. Another thing is my center display. It had occasionally shown "reverse" colors (i.e., the screen was mostly white), and this only happened after starting the car in the morning. It happened rarely, and usually went away after a few seconds.
    Now though, after the break, it is white every day, and it lasts for a long time.
    I don't really care about the colors, but it seems to show that there is "something" wrong, and more importantly, when I commute in the morning it is still dark outside, and the bright display makes it hard to see unlighted things in the rear view mirror.

Any inputs would be very much appreciated. Particularly whether I need to worry with any of this.

Thank you.

Matt

2. Mattokun

Mattokun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nobody...?

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The first issue is probably light components like gas and water collecting in your intake and getting sucked into the combustion chamber. Common knock on startup woth the Gen3;).

The way to cure that is with an oil catch can. Search around and you’ll find what some of us have done and where we have them mounted:).

Hope that helps (y).

JC91006 likes this.
  4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your display anomaly is consistent with a moisture and electronics mix. You probably need to dry the air out in the cabin somehow.

5. Mattokun

Mattokun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking the same as well as re-mounting the PCV valve up between the head cover and coolant tank on the line going to the OCC. Thinking will be able to observe moisture condensation better and maybe increase the life of the PCV valve.

I also need to inspect and most likely thoroughly clean the EGR circuit and the intake in general, including sensors, to the manifold circuit.

My thoughts while everything is disassembled, since I have to either repair or replace my front wiper motor if the output is spec at the connection in the different switch positions as is with the front washer spray though not MIST switch setting, is to inspect the spark plugs and very carefully clean or replace.

My observations regarding humidity exactly. Still not certain what the lower humidity limit is that is the causation. I also have an ozone theory too because I didn't notice until after a higher ozone duration day. After that event, consistent with higher humidity events.

Here's a visual experience for those in the future:
    IMG2047.jpg

Attached Files: