1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Displayed average MPG

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Peng Xiao, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Peng Xiao

Peng Xiao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I found out the following today (I’m sorry if this is discussed before), I switched to HV on a short distance highway driving, and then switched back to EV. When I got home, the displayed average MPG for this trip is 280. This looks like the MPG calculation didn’t count the battery electricity at all.
    If the overall MPG calculated the same way, then it is not accurate at all.
    Most the time my wife drives this car, >100 miles daily and only charge at home. I’m always wondering how come the overall average MPG can be 80 something.

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This is what you would expect if the battery provided some of the power. The car in HV mode will never get 280 mpg, so the extra range came from the battery.

The car divides the total miles traveled by the fuel used and that's the displayed mpg. If the battery is providing power, gasoline use drops and mpg goes up.

You are correct in that the calculation does not include the energy of any electricity used. It calculates using the gasoline burn only.

#2 jb in NE, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Electricity doesn't come in gallons. Traveling X number of miles on Y number of gallons yields X/Y miles per gallon. Other than on long road trips where I can't charge, I'm averaging close to 400 mpg.

The only meaningful metric is cost per mile. For that, you need to also track your electricity consumption from the wall. Easily done with a Killawatt meter.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, mpg displayed on PRIME is mostly meaningless if you charge your traction battery and use EV mode to drive. There is no easy way to monitor HV only mpg on this car. I intentionally do not charge the car and drive a full tank purely on gas only in HV MODE to get accurate HV only mpg from time to time, like when I change to new tires.

#4 Salamander_King, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I consider 80 low, for you and spouses driving it sounds right. I have manually computed and compared my mpg and they compare favorably. Extended EV driving can show incredible results sometimes. Everything always returns to mean tho, whether it’s stocks or mpg.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what it should display over a trip of mixed energy source driving is mpg's based on hv distance travelled and gas used, and mpk (miles per kWh) based on ev travel, and kwh used.