1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Distance remaining for pumping gas

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Hong Kong Prius, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If my math is correct( and your gas gauge is showing 2/3 full), that is 32 liters or about 8 gallons. Why not just fill it til it clicks and is full?

I know I try to minimize my trips to the gas station;).

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much is petrol in hk?

3. Prilust

Prilust New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is because the DTE has a minimum duel requirement before it resets. I'm not sure what it would be in your Prius, I haven't even looked in my Prius C. I am new to the Prius life,but in my Scion iQ it wouldn't reset my AVG fuel economy numbers until it reached over the 22 litres mark. I would recommend looking in the owners manual to get the number it will reset at. I often fill up just 5$ here and there if I am low and on my way to work, I don't pay much attention to my cruising range though. I depend more on math to figure out how many litres I have used based on my "trip A"(which is reset every gas fill) KM driven and my "trip A" AVG fuel economy.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat!(y)

Prilust likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My answer has always been..How can it be?

Given the nature of how a Hybrid works...that is a synergy of a ICE and a Battery and Electric Motors, working together in various degrees controlled by factors as unpredictable and random as outside temperature, actual driving conditions...up hill, down hill,..short drive-long drive- City or Highway...

At best it can only be an estimate. Because no computer software can predict all those random possible conditions.

When I owned my Prius DTE would sometimes say for example 8 miles....sometimes I would drive much MORE than 8 miles and the number seemed to drop slowly. Other times it seemed I would drive less...and look and be at Zero.
    It never was for me a perfect REAL WORLD estimate.

Living in an urban environment where access to gas stations was easy and plentiful. I used DTE or cruising range as simply the marker to actually fill up.
    I hesitate to recommend it because it is- CAVEAT...only personal experience...your mileage may vary, but I found I could go to DTE ZERO..and still had fuel enough to calmly look for a gas station to refill. So that's HOW I used DTE or cruising range. But I never perceived it as being an actual representation...of REALLY being Zero.

Hong Kong Prius and Robert Holt like this.
  6. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have run it WAY past zero, and never been able to fill more than 10.4 gallons, out of a 12 g capacity. My wife panics when her Camry gets to 1/4 tank.:rolleyes: