1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Distance to empty number

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dangrass, Jul 21, 2016.

1. dangrass

dangrass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Still on the first tank with my 2016 2 Eco and was curious as to the remaining range number on the speedo display. The number I'm seeing seem way higher than it should be and I can't figure out how it's calculating the remaining range.

For those who have more experience with this car, what's the deal with this number? Is it actually right? Is it calculated based on the very most recent mileage?

thx,

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many pips showing on the fuel gauge? Are you seeing a correlation?

3. dangrass

dangrass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Currently it has 3 and a third pips. The number is getting lower as the tank is getting drained. Currently says that the car has 331 miles of range and it's got 424 on the tank so far. According to the computer the mileage since new is a tad under 61. If that gauge is linear 3 and 1/3 pips should be about 4.75 gallons remaining in the tank. For the car to go 331 miles on this it would need to be getting 69.68 mpg....which is more than it's getting. Does the car have reason to believe that we will be traveling mostly downhill in the near future? Is the fuel gauge pessimistic? Something else?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could be first tank machinations, something got reset by dealership. It does sound you're on top of it.

5. dangrass

dangrass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thx. Is the fuel gauge on these cars linear? Is it reasonable for me to assume that 3.33 pips (42% of a tank) = 11.4 x .42 = 4.75 gallons?

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If this is your first tank, fill it up now and start afresh with a full tank. First tank on any of my last 3 cars never seems to get it right until it is topped up. It seems to work on an algorithm based on your recent driving, but I've never quite worked out how it does it.

7. dangrass

dangrass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, thx.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On 3rd gen all the gas gauge pips seem to show for quite sometime. Once they start disappearing its more linear.

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It would be best to go by the fuel gage and only use the DTE for a reference.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Trust nothing until running the tank dry with a spare, 1 gallon can of gas.

Bob Wilson

krmcg and fuzzy1 like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the pip is quite linear, with 8 bars and almost exactly 1 gallon/bar. the dte follows along quite nicely, based on past performance.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Linear? My Gen3 gauge is more linear than any previous car, but still not fully linear. Note that from engineering and mathematical viewpoints, linearity refers only to the amount of fuel between each division or mark.

Like all before it, the top of the gauge is not at the top of the tank, and the bottom of the gauge is not at the bottom of the tank. These are gauge offsets, separate issues than linearity. Most cars have some safety margin or reserve below the Empty or Zero point of the gauge. However, my first car was one of the exceptions, running out while the gauge still showed more fuel remaining. That is one of the reasons for testing the low fuel regions of my cars. If I've never used it, then I don't assume it is there for future emergency.

No. The offsets wreck that computation.

Read the first post of this long thread for fuel safety margin guidelines on the Gen3. I'm not aware of anyone yet doing this test on the Gen4, but several hints suggests that it is roughly similar.
    [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III) | PriusChat

#12 fuzzy1, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    CR94 likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is the old "how low can I go", in fact it feels old hat just saying this. My dad used to use a stick to check the gas level on our Beetle, pretty reliable.

#13 Mendel Leisk, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have noticed that the DTE reaches "0" pretty much at the estimated point (adding the DTE number and the current tank mileage from a tank that is at least half gone). The gas light comes on by average 30 - 32 miles before that point. The average for me in 15 fillups are light comes on at 630 miles - DTE reaches "0" at 661 miles.

15. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am checking how the DTE is working and will report when I am finished with my 3rd tank. So far it seems just as useless as Gen3 was. And the fuel light comes up too conservatively (like with almost 7-10L of fuel still inside)....More data needed.