1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Distributed solar taking off

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by drees, Feb 5, 2010.

1. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Found a couple articles on how "small" scale PV solar is taking off, especially in California.

Instead of building huge solar systems in the hundreds of MW size, the idea is to build multiple multi MW (1-100MW) installations all over the place close to existing power grid distribution points.

There are two primary benefits:

1. Avoid having to deal with the land-use issues that come from large installations on potentially ecologically sensitive land - these installs are typically installed on warehouse roofs or brownfields.

2. By building them close to existing power distribution points, no additional grid infrastructure is needed reducing the cost of the installation.

In California there is at least 1.3GW of distributed solar to be installed over the next 5 years primarily by SoCal Edison and PGE.

Additionally, it is expected that recent price drops in PV, cost will be competitive with fossil fuel - especially considering that PV output tends to peak the same time that electricity costs the most - during the summer when everyone is running the air conditioning.

The little solar that could | Grist

Vote Solar - Sacramento: 100 MW of PV at around 14 cents/kWh

Edit: Saw this link on the 10-million solar roofs and 10-million gallons of solar how water act which is more on the same topic: A chat with Sen. Bernie Sanders on his new 10 million solar roofs bill

1 person likes this.
  2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $.14 kwh,,, What was it the nay sayers were suggesting that we would have to do? Live in a cold dark medieval sparse existence? Once again, shows what can be done with current technology!

Noting draconian about any of this!

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    one of my 2 inverters can still handle an additional 900 watts. And Edison now has to pay for surplus! I'll take 4 more 225 watt 'sun-power' panels please ... since distributed solar is taking off. please distribute them to my south O.C. home, asap.

:)

on a serious note, does anyone know with absolute certainty what constitutes a "PV system" for purposes of capturing the 30% fed tax credit? My understanding is there must be 1 new inverter, and a minimum of a 1Kw rating. Until I or someone can be directed to an authoratative writing, it's all rumor.

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-09-41.pdf
    where I see the following:

(c) In the case of a solar water heating property, a statement that the property is
    certified for performance by the non-profit Solar Rating Certification Corporation or a
    comparable entity endorsed by the government of the State in which such property is
    installed.

5. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Parking Lots!

If I owned a retail parking lot, I would offer the use of the real estate for free to a Solar Company to build a overhead solar array that would provide cover parking for some of my lot. Could also offer "green" PV outlets for free for my customers. As Icarus pointed out in another thread, PV works best with ventilation below and cover parking is a premium, so the whole deal is win/win!

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Seems like a no brainer and with PV prices being what they are right now, seems like we might see some of this in the near future.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yea, but there are instances where maybe you DOUBLE the size of your solar hot water ... or your geothermal ... or your PV system. You'd think there'd be a well defined litmus test for what constitues a simple increase in size, versus a significant improvement that constitues "a system" allowing you to get the 30% fed credit. That's what I'd like to know.