1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY adaptive cruise control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bgatesman, Apr 23, 2016.

1. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

2. huclee

huclee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I add a LCD display to my homemade ACC/DRCC system for control the ON/OFF & front car distance with buttons

Another test on highway.

TGV and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. TGV

TGV New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Huclee,

I am also using this ADAS system, but I don't get any understandable data from the RS232 port. I get something like this:

[IA6y „’ ±]
    [IA6y „’ ±]
    [IA6y …’ °]
    [IA6y …“ ¯]
    [IA6y „’ ±]
    [IA6e ‹Š»]

What kind of data do you get out of the rs232 port? From the SD-card-logger I am getting the TTC from ADAS (but only once per second).

Kind Regards

4. huclee

huclee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello TGV:

Happy to hear from you. Where you got the ADAS from ?

I bought from a chinese company (LDW车道偏离报警,FCW前方碰撞预警,PCW行人碰撞预警) accompanied with some documents describing its RS232 protocol. I made an embedded system using a Nuvoton ARM M0 processor to read the protocol to control the cruise control, to keep the front car distance.

However, I am not really recommend you to buy their ADAS cause it is still under development and not very reliable. Their ADAS probably killed my speedometer (almost spend me more than 1000 USD to fix it. Lucky, I fix it myself).

I do not know why your post does not send me reminder so I have to check my private message in priuschat.com actively to receive your message. Any question is welcome and maybe you can contact with me directly by accessing my website. Good luck!

5. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wonder if it might be possible to build something to interface with the OEM radar unit and provide the same functionality as the Arduino/SF02 combo.

6. Radiohound

Radiohound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I notice the Garmin Lidar light says that it works at 40 meters with a 70% reflective target. So I can see how it might not get 70% reflectivity from all cars.

The SF11-C sensor is said to work up to 120 meters. I have included a link to it at digikey below. I have not tested this sensor myself.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=sf11-c

[​IMG]

#26 Radiohound, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    trentofdestiny likes this.
  7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is awesome! Following.

8. huclee

huclee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I finally integrated a distance radar for my Camry for ACC function. Please find the test video above.

This version of homemade ACC is based on a FMCW radar. I built an embedded system to read signals from the radar and use it to control the cruise control plus/minus keys. Now the next goals is to fine-tune the adaptive cruise control algorithm to make it more smooth.

some updates will be post here https://sites.google.com/a/ee.ccu.edu.tw/neatlab/air-quality-pm2-5-kong-qi-pin-zhilora-ce-shi-test

==================
    This version of homemade ACC is a modification to my Toyota Camry Hybrid 2012. The info of the LCD --
    CLOSE -- too close need brake
    GOOD -- current distance is good, keep the speed
    FAR -- the front car is far, accelerate now
    T-FAR -- the front car is too far, the user need to take control
    The bar indicate the desire distance for three level SHORT/MIDDLE/LONG
    The "S" indicates my car's speed in kph
    L: first number is the front car distance in m, the second number is my car's speed in meter per second
    ACC ON/OFF indicates the current system is on or off.
    The FMCW radar can detect the front car at most more than 140 meter on the current installation. But for stable tracking the front car, less than 70 meters is much better.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. huclee

huclee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I added some description for easy understanding the actions of this ACC system

10. Lares_Mat

Lares_Mat Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi bgatesman!

It's really impressive! Thumbs up!

I wanted to ask you, why you decided to use relays, and not MOSFETs?
    They are simply to control with arduino (the logic level ones) and do not make any noises, so, what is the reason?

Best regards

Mat