1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diy cleaning aircon HELP

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by R-P, Sep 13, 2016.

1. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I read about some cleaningagent being sprayed into the heatexchanger to get rid of mould. But when I payed the Toyotadealer 50€ for an aircon cleansing, they just set the AC to full and dumped a spraycan in the cabin. Needless to say the catpee smell (and now even puke smell) returned very fast.

I did read about cleaning it with holes being drilled in some plastic housing, but I didn't fully understand it when reading it a few years back and fail to fond the thread after a quick search.

Any easy to understand noob guides to AC cleaning out there? I did ask for cleaningspray in carshops, but it seems unknown here. So any recipe for brewing a mouldkilling solution that is Prius safe would be excellent!

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You lost me.

Are you trying to clean smells or odors from carpet and upholstery, or are you trying to flush out odors from the air conditioning ducts.

Carpets/Upholstery, best I can say is a product that may not be available in your area. Resolve Carpet Cleaner

For a/c I used this and it worked well

In the USA, we have auto detailing shops that specialize in cleaning the inside and outside of autos, who could probably do the job for you. Some of them will sell the proper chemicals to you over the counter and you can try cleaning on your own.

Good luck, often times you will be out of luck, though.

Hmm./ for some reason the links are not showing up. Well, I am not going to try again....

3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    You'll have to research further for your model and your location....the Netherlands?

In USA, BG Products makes two products. A foaming agent for the evaporator and a spray for the ducts.

The AC evaporator box - for lack of a better description - should have a drain tube. You may have noticed water puddling under you car after using the AC. The water is coming out of that drain tube

The foaming agent is sprayed up into the box through this drain tube, does its cleansing and turns to fluid and drains back out the tube.

The spray is sprayed into the dash board ac ducts and is used to also cleanse bacteria odor.

Cost for the pair of products is about $50.

At least a yearly maintenance if not every three months has been my experience. It does work.

The root cause of the odor (IMO) is bacteria build up on the fins of the evaporator.

The technique the dealer used, using a spray "bomb" in my experience usually does not work for any length of time.

Good luck.

Stevewoods likes this.
  4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Kenny gave good advice. Sorry I got cranky, but the Website kept rejecting my efforts to fix the lack of links.

Don't know WHAT the problem with the Website is today.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep over here the dealer uses a 2 can evap coil cleaner kit. One is the correct anti microbial foamy cleaner they attach to the drip hose and inject the cleaner back up the tube into the box as foam and it comes back out as liquid. The other can is a god awful old lady scented perfume they dump in the front air dam and fog the interior. Its disgusting.
    You can buy the cleaner can with the tube attachment on Amazon its called Kool It.
    Forget the other can of stench.

Last time I asked at the dealer about this service 5 years ago they were charging $125. Have no idea what they charge now. I highly recommend the cleaner service just don't have them use the can of stench as the interior will reek for days. Just the cleaner results in a nice minty smell of cleaner.

6. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had good luck using Lysol disinfectant spray on my 4Runner. The 4Runner doesn't have a cabin air filter like the Prius, so I sprayed it in the exterior vents while the climate control was on full AC/fresh air intake with all doors open. If I had to do the Prius, I think I'd remove the cabin air filter and spray through there -- like this guy:

As a preventive measure in the future, try turning the AC off, fresh air intake and fan running full, a couple minutes before you arrive at your destination. This will dry off the evaporative coil so mold/mildew are less likely to come back.

7. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've used this product.
    Kool-It Evaporator & Heater Foam Cleaner
    and to BG's Frigi Clean/Fresh. The Lubegrd product is easier to apply, no drilling of the evap/heater core box, just run the hose up the evap drain hose and discharge the contents into the evap. Biggest PITA is running the tube up the evap drain hose.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never seen where you have to run the hose up the existing hose. Kool It and the Dealer kit both come with the rubber adapter hose that you just insert into the end of the drip hose.

I mentioned Kool It the post right before yours btw.

Also spraying lysoil in the vents does nothing to address the mold issue in the evap box. The smell is coming from the evap box. Lysol in the vents just stinks up your car.

And putting the car in fresh air when you park does nothing. The water is still trapped in the evap box.
    I can leave my car in either mode when I park and no matter what mode its left in it still leaves a long trail of water on the ground when I drive away in the am.

#8 edthefox5, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You must have (partially) blocked AC drain pipe.

If you turn AC off in fresh air mode and fan speed high enough then water will blow and evaporate of off the air box. Just do it at least couple of minutes before you reach your destination. I do that every time I use AC.
    It’s easy to clean the AC drain pipe it can be reached in passenger foot well and pulled out.

10. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am not sure where my smell comes from, but putting a new (active carbon) filter in, helped nothing.

I specifically asked beforehand if they (Toyotadealer) sprayed the solution up the drainpipe, but they were vague and did mention spraying. I only found out when they actually performed the action, that they just used some fancy aircleaner.

What I wish to do is actually kill the mould inside the evaporator (previously called heatexchanger by me).

There are anti-mould mouse sprays for the bathroom, but I think they *may* be far more agressive. I'll have a look at one of those cannisters when in the shops.

As said, so far I haven't been able to locate such a spray for use in the evaporator, but knowing some brandnames gives me some more searchpossibilities!

The draintube is near the left foot of the right-front passenger, comes from inside the dash and goes through a hole in th footwell to the outside, right? But if I flush this with too much fluid, will it run into the vents? (Pic from above link to Kool It)
    [​IMG]

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The smell is coming from the evap box under the dash. Its funked up.

Buy Kool It on amazon.com.

And no the liquid doesn't get in the vents. The car should be off when you do this. You have the location of the vent tube correct and its a pretty short little black stubby tube hanging out of the bottom of the car. Its really hard to DIY as you have to jack the car up real high to get your body/head under that tube to affix the cleaner can adapter hose. In fact you can't even see the tube unless your right under it.

I do it every couple of years when I have the car jacked way up to do the trans fluid.

And I have no idea what an anti mould mouse spray is. What does a mouse have to do with mold? Its mold not mould. You can tell by the red underline under the misspelled word. That's the spell check.

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Ed, you realise that English is the OP's second language, eh? You could cut him some slack–probably meant anti-mould mousse spray. Easy mistake to make.
    Actually, only in US/Canada, the rest of the English speaking world it is mould.

BTW, it's a bit rich calling out spelling when you constantly use "there" when you mean "they're" and "your" when you mean "you're". As painful as it is to read, no one is calling you out for it.

#12 dolj, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    xliderider likes this.
  13. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't think twice about "mouse", even though I pride myself on being quite thorough in trying to be correct in using English on sites... and even though I am very fond of chocolate mousse...

As for red lines, it is under "for", "lines", "under", "and", "really", "those", "unknown" and "words" in this line alone, so I do not really look at those... :D(All unknown words in Dutch...)

#13 R-P, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    dolj likes this.