1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Coolant Change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 72fordgts, Jan 11, 2016.

1. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just refill them until it stops, that's just me :p

Rebound likes this.
  2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If Heisenberg were an auto mechanic.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, I was hoping I could just buy 1 gallon jug of coolant since I don't need to do the inverter but I guess I'll get 2.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our dealer will take back unopened bottle of coolant. You might ask yours.

Jkan2001 likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He's going to need to crack the second bottle though, by all reports, it takes one-point-something gallons.

Addendum: ok, I see your point now: if he gets two but manages to squeak by with one bottle, he could possibly return the second.

Jkan2001 likes this.
  6. ms372591

ms372591 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How far do you need to turn the bleeder valve for it to open? I turned it maybe 3/4 way around and did not get anything out while refilling. Does the engine need to warm up first?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

This is in my experience with other cars, hopefully still the case with Prius:

If the bleeder valve is open enough to be effective, as you are filling with fresh coolant mix, you'll feel a strong gush of air coming out of the valve, then coolant will start coming out.

ms372591 and Tbkilb01 like this.
  8. Liam howard

Liam howard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Im going to be performing the coolant change on the ICE system and the inverter system with a Mity-Vac. I read the manual and it clearly states that I need at least 90psi of air to perform its function.

Question:
    I picked up a 3 gallon pancake compressor that rates at 100psi. 2- jugs of undiluted Genuine Toyota SLLC Will I be able to perform the job correctly? Any suggestions?

9. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Did mine without compressor

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's ok for psi (pressure), but any venturi vacuum pump (like the Mity-Vac) will also need a certain air flow (there should be a rating in SCFM) to develop its rated vacuum. That number ought to be in the Mity-Vac literature somewhere (or available by asking them). You might find the rating on your compressor to be too small for that; Mity-Vac probably designed their venturi for shops that have a big shop air system.

I have done coolant changes both ways, and currently, with my Gen 3, I have reverted to just-pour-it-in-and-bleed like the old-school fossil that I am. It's not really that bad (in Gen 3, anyway; Gen 2 might be harder to bleed).

The vacuum-fill approach seems really cool, but you do a bunch of prep (bring out the compressor, arrange the valves and hoses, make sure no air's in the hose and the coolant supply is higher than the system, etc.) and then there's the moment you say "here goes!" and twist the valve and watch it slurp in, and it turns out that various minor oversights in your prep will mean that you still have air in the system needing to be bled anyway. It's dandy when everything goes right.

Liam howard and CR94 like this.
  11. Liam howard

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

12. Liam howard

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just checked the user manual for both compressor and the Mity-Vac. The compressor is rated at .6 SCFM @90 PSi. Cannot find anything regarding the rating for the Mity-Vac. I will call them when I get a chance.

Is the Venturi effect analogous to blowing across the top of a drinking straw that is submerged in liquid in which the flowing air creates negative pressure inside the straw, forcing the liquid upwards? If not, how exactly is it achieved?

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Exactly:

[​IMG]

If you assemble your own "vacuum coolant refill" rig and buy the venturi directly from an industrial supplier like Vaccon, you'll have access to complete specs on your venturi, and even the ability to choose a low-flow one better suited to your compressor capacity. Some of the Vaccon models will work at a lower, 60 psi pressure, where your compressor can probably do better than .6 SCFM, and if you find one that matches the available flow rate, it would take longer to evacuate your cooling system, but develop better vacuum. A venturi designed for a higher flow and used on an inadequate compressor just won't achieve as much of a vacuum as you want.

The AirLift/MityVac systems will have a lot of patent numbers splashed across them. In my understanding, the only currently live patents cover details like how their fancy multi-radiator-neck-size fittings work and such. The basic idea of using vacuum to refill a cooling system goes way far back, and I don't think you can infringe it by using, say, a venturi pump, basic hoses and rubber stoppers. Some time ago I did more research and posted that in another PriusChat thread, but don't have time to search for it. I am not a patent lawyer. Or any kind of lawyer.

Liam howard likes this.
  14. Liam howard

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you for taking the time to share the info. I just got off the phone with Mity-Vac and they said that the SCFM rating is not stated anywhere in their literature. So I guess this will be a fun experiment. Will definitely report back my findings!

15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did both engine and inverter coolant changes on mine at our meet ups in the last 6 months, just drain, refill, bleed air and done.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Liam howard

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hey Grit, what meetups you referring to?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    m.wynn and Liam howard like this.
  18. Liam howard

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You know if anything like that happens over here on the east coast near Philadelphia?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not sure, but there’s little traffic for meetups outside of what we’ve got going on, except for the So Cal folks that meet up at @RightOnTime and @sfv41901 ’s shop regularly:).

Maybe you could start a meetup(y).

Liam howard likes this.
  20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You need to MAKE them happen. Start inviting Prius owners to your place.

Raytheeagle likes this.